Your ranking of the core players from the Superbowl years

seabowl

Reaction score
Taking a look at IMO the core players for the Hawks from the recent Superbowl years, if you had to rank them over their entire careers to this point, what would your ranking look like? Again this is how you rank them over their entire career.

Choices:
Lynch, Wilson, Thomas, Wagner, Sherman, Chancellor

My ranking-

Wilson
Wagner
Sherman
Lynch
Thomas
Chancellor

Not as easy as I thought.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Lynch - offense started and ended with him

Earl - those corners couldn’t play how they did, specially maxwell if earl isn’t there to clean up

Russ - we a 7-8 win football team in those days without russ, now we a 2-4 win team without Russ

Kam - Tone setter, could play in the box or deep. The lion amongst wild dogs, my personal favorite Seahawk ever.

Sherm - Cut the field in half, this dude had and still has future HOF QB’s afraid to throw to his side

Wagner - qb of a once in a lifetime defense, without him rn I’m afraid to see what our defense is like

Ozzy

Reaction score
This was hard and if you asked me tomorrow it could be completely different.

Earl, Wilson, Sherman, Wagner, Kam. Earl and Wilson are tied essentially. Wilson added more to the run game than many realize outside if his actual rushing production and Earl set up Pete's whole defense, without him it doesn't work.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Throwdown":3534y973 said:

Earl - those corners couldn’t play how they did, specially maxwell if earl isn’t there to clean up

Russ - we a 7-8 win football team in those days without russ, now we a 2-4 win team without Russ

Kam - Tone setter, could play in the box or deep. The lion amongst wild dogs, my personal favorite Seahawk ever.

Sherm - Cut the field in half, this dude had and still has future HOF QB’s afraid to throw to his side

Wagner - qb of a once in a lifetime defense, without him rn I’m afraid to see what our defense is like
Exactly my order. I'll add that 'Shawn also set the tone for the entire team. BAMF of the highest order and the heart and soul.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Wagner- his resume is overwhelming. Already pushing Largent and Tez for 2nd greatest Seahawk of all time.

ET- best player at his position over an extend period of time for an all-time great defense.

Lynch - heart and soul of the team. Lead with actions. Left every ounce of will he had on the field.

Wilson
Sherman
Chancellor

No knock on those three though.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Lynch- they relied on the run game. Without his durability and beastliness this team does not have a Lombardi.

Wilson- was thinking about placing him at the bottom but do you think they get this far with a T jack or Charlie?

Kam/Sherman tied- Kams hits set the tone of fear. Kam was also a very intelligent player. Sherman just completely shutdown one side of the field and the tip.

Wagner- kind of didnt get the credit he deserved being overshadowed by the LOB. Top lb in the league consistently.

ET- not as big of an impact but still an integral part

lukerguy

Reaction score
It depends how you rank them. The QB is the most important position, but Russ wasn't the best QB in the league. He was the best player on our team if you consider weighted value per position.

Most valuable:
Wilson
Thomas
Wagner
Sherman
Lynch
Chancellor

Best compared to their position in the league:
Thomas (best)
Chancellor (best)
Wagner (1st or 2nd best)
Sherman (top 3)
Wilson (top 5)
Lynch (top 5)

chris98251

Reaction score
Didn't see Bevell so didn't Vote :)

I can't rate a specific player all are dependent on the unit being a unit, take a piece or two away and as last year demonstrated the unit becomes dysfunctional. Offense and Defense, Lynch punished but Wilson made a defense pay for stacking the box and vice versa, on defense well I already stated that argument.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":3h41hxc0 said:
Didn't see Bevell so didn't Vote :)

I can't rate a specific player all are dependent on the unit being a unit, take a piece or two away and as last year demonstrated the unit becomes dysfunctional. Offense and Defense, Lynch punished but Wilson made a defense pay for stacking the box and vice versa, on defense well I already stated that argument.

I didnt see Cable...so it was not a fair question. :twisted:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Wilson
Sherman
Thomas
Lynch
Wagner
Chancellor

And that's pretty much how the team valued them given their commensurate level of pay.

TBH I think Sherm and ET were pretty much equal and so were Wagner and Chancellor. Wilson solidified the most important spot on the team and turned a mediocre franchise into a contender. The 2011 team went 7-9 with Everybody but Wilson and Wagner. They've won at least 9 games in 8 seasons since.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Lynch
Chancellor
Wilson
Wagner
Clem
Bennett
Avril
Sherm
Earl

Sherm and Earl don't mean nearly as much without a pass rush. We've all witnessed as much countless times. Give any QB time and it doesn't matter how good your coverage guys are. Clem was Uber consistent. Bennett and Avril were the icing on the cake on that front. Lynch and Chancellor were the defacto leaders of the offense and defense. Wilson had less than 200 yards passing very often. His efficiency ratings were always due to him being as conservative a QB as you could ever find. His legs helped matters at the time. While Wilson had a good Superbowl to Lynch's sub-par game, that was because they loaded up to stop Lynch. Chancellor set the tone and the pass rushers feasted. We were up big in no time flat due to defense and special teams.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Vin, thanks for the additions. Leaving out Cliff Avril from that list, not to mention Bennett, are both huge omissions. Clemons was key too, but to me he's one more notch down. Really, Avril is the guy most conspicuous by his absence--especially in SB49 where his absence doomed the Hawks chances of victory, as he was the only one getting pressure on Brady, until leaving with a concussion.

BASF

Reaction score
The problem with this kind of list is it is highly dependent upon the season we are talking about. With 2012, I would rank Lynch above Wilson, but just barely. The read option with Wilson's obvious running skills and ability to throw on the run kept teams off balance, and it was Wilson's growing pains that cost us games early in the season. As soon as he cleaned up the interceptions, we went 8-2. Every season after that, Wilson was more important than Lynch.

Defense, as was stated is highly dependent on all the pieces working in conjunction. The guy who was the final piece that ensured that each piece worked in conjunction, even when playing with larger than life personalities and the most important player on defense is and was Wagner. His recognition of plays is elite, to the point where teams began running plays against us that they had not had on tape before.

Sherman, then Thomas, then Chancellor round out the rest of the list from the OP, but the point about the pass rush helping these guys was the best point brought up in this thread.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Throwdown":kciegsdn said:

This is pretty much how my list would go.

We can't confuse what Russell means to this team now vs what he meant to the team in 2012-2014. Still was vital obviously, but nowhere near what Lynch and the defense meant to why we won our SB.

Russell didn't win the SB, the defense making Elway and that offense wish they never would have shown up they were so embarassed by our defense did.

RW4LIFE

Reaction score
Throwdown":51mkjmtz said:

Nailed it.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Throwdown":2ka6hu01 said:

I would put Earl below Kam. Earl had the raw athletic ability and good instincts, but I think Kam's direction is what him one of the best of all time.

Latest posts