Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
BlueThunder":3no55u17 said:
Hey, if nothing else, it shows that no matter the team's importance to the league in general, Goodell doesn't hold back, even against his buddies and the cash-cow's of the league. So at least he's got that going for him. I kinda figured that after the suspension against God... I mean, *cough* Brady...
It took him awhile to get there, though I'm glad he turned that corner. While still not a fan of Rog, his image in my book has had a slight improvement, and the consistency of his "punishments" seems to be getting better.

Still would prefer a "black and white" suspension policy. If you do "violation A" you get suspended for "2 games", if you do "violation B" you get suspended for "4 games" etc etc etc.

I remember Browner getting suspended indefinitely for a pot violation when he was with Seattle during the XLVIII run.

RedAlice

Reaction score
So, Brady had his appeal differed.

Any chance Zeke plays this whole season mostly, waiting for the ruling on his appeal?

RedAlice

Reaction score
BlueThunder":1he0exxb said:
Hey, if nothing else, it shows that no matter the team's importance to the league in general, Goodell doesn't hold back, even against his buddies and the cash-cow's of the league. So at least he's got that going for him. I kinda figured that after the suspension against God... I mean, *cough* Brady...

But, Goodell did kinda work that out in his favor.

This one? Jerry needs appeased. I think a deferment while the legal things go on.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RedAlice":muehp6wj said:
BlueThunder":muehp6wj said:

But, Goodell did kinda work that out in his favor.

This one? Jerry needs appeased. I think a deferment while the legal things go on.
I read somewhere (ESPN I think) that the NFL will have a final ruling on the appeal within 10 days after EE officially appeals the suspension. The bigger stink (see lawsuits, and threats) that Jerruh and EE make over this, I think more stuff that the league can and will dig up (and probably have at their fingertips) and punish him and the Cowboys on. Rog wants remorse, compliance, and cooperation to happen in his investigative process. Like it or not thats how Rog rolls.

That's why Shady Brady got 4 games instead of 1, he fought the commish the whole way.

ctrcat

Reaction score
mikeak":5thkfzz7 said:
It is one thing when someone is found guilty like Rice was and got a slap on the hands (if even that). He was found guilty. He needed a huge suspension (even before the second video came out)

Heck it is even one thing when there is evidence that is completely out there just in the face of everyone - get it

NFL having to do a full scale investigation each time there is an alleged incident? I just don't know. I am really really thorn on this issue. Sure the justice system is failing but is it right or fair that this amount of work is done by a private organization to punish their employees?

I am not saying that it is right or wrong, just that I am having a hard time processing it and fully agree with it. It easily sets up blackmailing situations against players and they can get further into bad situations.

I dunno - I hope they got it right but still can't really get behind this process. On the flip side I look at Josh Brown and there were years of domestic abuse. I am totally for him getting suspended so if the NFL doesn't do these things how does someone like that get suspended?

I guess I am just trying to say it is a really sensitive thing and it is hard to be 100% right in how these things are handled

Good post. It's easy to laugh (like I'm even hypocritically doing now at the Cowboys) when it's not your team. When it hits your team, you see the "criminally" inconsistent farce for what it is. Greg Hardy played in week 1 then was taken out of commission for the next 17 after the Rice video simply so the league could save some face in 2014. I'm still livid about it because his services or his $13.1 million salary could have been used @Seattle in the Divisional Round/Kam Quake game. Of course Hardy is crazy, but so was the girl who was on cocaine, and the case was thrown out. A sham.

253hawk

Reaction score
The problem is that the NFL has been so lenient for so long, that everyone got used to the lackadaisical punishments and most of them were a fine at best with maybe a single game tacked on. Just like most capitalist white collar crimes.

It seems unfair, but the NFL is finally doing what it should have been for a long time and coming in with a heavy hand. Despite it appearing like some kind of personal vendetta by the league against some of the premier teams and players, they had to start drawing the line somewhere to set an example. Players need to start being held accountable instead of being above the law. Some of the stuff they get away with or get a slap on the wrist for would have a regular civilian locked up in a heartbeat.

Quit going to clubs and hanging out with skeezy women and shady thugs; this isn't college any more. If you don't give the NFL any ammo, they can't do anything.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
253hawk":32apwbqh said:
The problem is that the NFL has been so lenient for so long, that everyone got used to the lackadaisical punishments and most of them were a fine at best with maybe a single game tacked on. Just like most capitalist white collar crimes.

It seems unfair, but the NFL is finally doing what it should have been for a long time and coming in with a heavy hand. Despite it appearing like some kind of personal vendetta by the league against some of the premier teams and players, they had to start drawing the line somewhere to set an example. Players need to start being held accountable instead of being above the law. Some of the stuff they get away with or get a slap on the wrist for would have a regular civilian locked up in a heartbeat.

Quit going to clubs and hanging out with skeezy women and shady thugs; this isn't college any more. If you don't give the NFL any ammo, they can't do anything.
Bingo! Excellent post! :2thumbs:

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
253hawk":1bucdqx6 said:

This part doesn't even make any sense. Players that commit crimes are still obviously sentenced to the full extent of the law, if found guilty, regardless of what the NFL does. If your point is that all these players with money can get out of any jail time, well than that's not the NFL's fault. That's obviously an issue with our court systems, and it's not the NFL's job (and is actually very dangerous for them to try to make it so) to punish them harder because of it.

The problem the NFL has seemingly overnight decided to suddenly be hero, swooping in like Robin Hood to punish these big bad players. Problem is, there is no rime or reason to how they are enacting their policy. The farther along this goes without any real structure, the more readily apparent it will become as the incongruous nature of all the different charges on crimes reaches the light.

The NFL has created a huge mess...

mikeak

Reaction score
253hawk":2ppyhbnp said:

I have ZERO issues with the heavy hand. I didn't like the leniency before. Heck if Carruth had been let out of prison the old NFL would probably let him back in.........

My concern is solely around people getting a full investigation and the justice system saying there is not enough evidence there to even take them to trial and the NFL not only spends the resources acting like an investigative firm but also comes to a different conclusion and punishes based on what they believe.

As my post noted I am simply struggling with this concept - not condemning it or supporting it. It will create very open blackmailing situations which supposedly in this case is supported by the woman screaming that his career would be over....

Now you add to this wife's that find out their husband is about to leave them just as they are going to sign a lucrative NFL contract or where they find him cheating on them. How hard is it really to get a few friends to agree on these stories and make something out of nothing to blackmail a player. I do believe the justice system should be the primary investigative arm that the NFL then leans on to decide if someone is guilty or not. Exception is stuff like drug testing where the NFL administers the actual test like most employeers

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":23at3xbq said:
The problem the NFL has seemingly overnight decided to suddenly be hero, swooping in like Robin Hood to punish these big bad players. Problem is, there is no rime or reason to how they are enacting their policy. The farther along this goes without any real structure, the more readily apparent it will become as the incongruous nature of all the different charges on crimes reaches the light..

It's not a bad tactic to take.

Take a long time to investigate as to appear like you're REALLY being thorough..............come down hard to appear tough on crime and domestic violence..........then wait for all the owners to pat you on the back.

You guys have to remember what this is all about, money. When the owners see TV ratings slip cause players are kneeling and beating up their wives? They tell their whipping boy Goodell to double down on "protecting the shield."

This is just a reflection of that. "We don't care if the police dropped their investigation, WE don't like what we found, so 6 game suspension mister!!"

253hawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3pwxwg9j said:
My concern is solely around people getting a full investigation and the justice system saying there is not enough evidence there to even take them to trial and the NFL not only spends the resources acting like an investigative firm but also comes to a different conclusion and punishes based on what they believe.

As my post noted I am simply struggling with this concept - not condemning it or supporting it. It will create very open blackmailing situations which supposedly in this case is supported by the woman screaming that his career would be over....

Now you add to this wife's that find out their husband is about to leave them just as they are going to sign a lucrative NFL contract or where they find him cheating on them. How hard is it really to get a few friends to agree on these stories and make something out of nothing to blackmail a player. I do believe the justice system should be the primary investigative arm that the NFL then leans on to decide if someone is guilty or not. Exception is stuff like drug testing where the NFL administers the actual test like most employeers

Legal justice and employment policy are entirely different things. Without being too political, look at the hot dog guy that went to Charlottesville...nothing illegal or arrest-worthy, but his employer fired his ass. Or they could have just reprimanded the hell out of him. No one wants that kind of association, and the league has catered to thuggery for far too long all in the name of making some money. Players have toed the line for too long and now the league is going to start chopping off feet to set a precedent. And even if there's not enough evidence, they'll still come down on you for not cooperating during the investigation.

Sure, there's always going to be gold-diggers. More often than not, some kind of altercation occurs and the player's ego gets in the way of just leaving and getting away from the situation. That's always their downfall. It just gives the accuser that much more ammunition. Great opportunity comes with great responsibility and you have to protect yourself 24/7. Hanging out with trash and going out to clubs is almost a sure way to end up with some kind of charges and/or a lawsuit these days. And for what? To show off in public? Look at Boykin...never a problem his whole time in college. Then the night before his final game, he goes to a bar and gets goaded into an incident over some idiots running their mouths.

mikeak

Reaction score
Yes legal system and employment law are very different. I am aware. Some employers don't let their employees smoke etc. you can fire anyone not protected under federal law

Here is the difference. He is being suspended for a committing acts that the legal system said he did not do or at least there was not enough evidence to convict him.

The hot dog guy didn't commit a crime but he violated ethics and image of the employer.

I know they have a right but doesn't mean I like the approqch

Heck the tape where he pulls down the gals top and grabs her is way more damning to me. That should have suspended him for sexual assault and it was right there on tape to see

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
mikeak":2afjnsd0 said:
The hot dog guy didn't commit a crime but he violated ethics and image of the employer.

Surely the NFL are arguing the same thing and are ultimately his employer.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":2tm0vfjb said:
Here is the difference. He is being suspended for a committing acts that the legal system said he did not do or at least there was not enough evidence to convict him.

As with the legal system, there is different criteria and proof required by the league office to suspend players. Obviously there was enough there for the league to suspend Elliott.

It's Goodell's way of saying that the NFL will hold it's players to higher standards than the legal system. Mostly laughable lip service, but never the less, that's the intent and message.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":l4cghpga said:

The thing here is that he wasn't found innocent of the crime. There is a high burdeon of proof in criminal cases. Even in our court system there is a lower burdeon of proof for civil cases than criminal cases. You can consider the suspension more along the lines of a civil case, whereas they just need evidence that proves he more than likely committed acts that were against NFL code of conduct. In the criminal court, it needs to be beyond reasonable doubt.

You are right, he's done plenty enough to deserve this in the past. As with all players in the union, he has his right to appeal and similar to Brady, if he doesn't like the outcome of appeal, he can take the NFL to court. As much history as he has in his short stint though, he'd be wise to take what he gets on appeal.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2s6p8rky said:
therealjohncarlson":2s6p8rky said:
The problem the NFL has seemingly overnight decided to suddenly be hero, swooping in like Robin Hood to punish these big bad players. Problem is, there is no rime or reason to how they are enacting their policy. The farther along this goes without any real structure, the more readily apparent it will become as the incongruous nature of all the different charges on crimes reaches the light..

Take a long time to investigate as to appear like you're REALLY being thorough..............come down hard to appear tough on crime and domestic violence..........then wait for all the owners to pat you on the back.

You guys have to remember what this is all about, money. When the owners see TV ratings slip cause players are kneeling and beating up their wives? They tell their whipping boy Goodell to double down on "protecting the shield."

This is just a reflection of that. "We don't care if the police dropped their investigation, WE don't like what we found, so 6 game suspension mister!!"

The NFL got their tails kicked so hard after the Ray Rice thing that they decided that - regardless of any punishment meted out by the criminal justice system - the dangers of being perceived as soft on DV were far greater than the dangers of being perceived as light on DV.

I find it very difficult to disagree with that logic.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kidhawk":mdgqyo8b said:
mikeak":mdgqyo8b said:

The thing here is that he wasn't found innocent of the crime. There is a high burdeon of proof in criminal cases. Even in our court system there is a lower burdeon of proof for civil cases than criminal cases. You can consider the suspension more along the lines of a civil case, whereas they just need evidence that proves he more than likely committed acts that were against NFL code of conduct. In the criminal court, it needs to be beyond reasonable doubt.

You are right, he's done plenty enough to deserve this in the past. As with all players in the union, he has his right to appeal and similar to Brady, if he doesn't like the outcome of appeal, he can take the NFL to court. As much history as he has in his short stint though, he'd be wise to take what he gets on appeal.
Bingo! Great post! :2thumbs:

Chapow

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":18thio7p said:
mikeak":18thio7p said:

Surely the NFL are arguing the same thing and are ultimately his employer.

Yes, that is 100% correct.

In the eyes of the NFL, he violated the personal conduct policy and did so repeatedly.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/20 ... policy.pdf

It is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty
of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher
standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values
upon which the League is based, and is lawful.

It's pretty clear that it's still possible to have violated the policy without having been charged or convicted of a crime.

ctrcat

Reaction score
hawk45":2pd45n19 said:
Sgt. Largent":2pd45n19 said:
therealjohncarlson":2pd45n19 said:

The NFL got their tails kicked so hard after the Ray Rice thing that they decided that - regardless of any punishment meted out by the criminal justice system - the dangers of being perceived as soft on DV were far greater than the dangers of being perceived as light on DV.

I find it very difficult to disagree with that logic.

It's good logic, but making the Carolina Panthers pay is not. 17 games, $13.1 million that could have been used in that year or rolled over into the Super Bowl year-gone because of the Rice video. The admitted moron (Hardy) even called 911 http://m.espn.com/general/play?id=10934434 and had no other criminal history-the charge eventually thrown out. The league is lucky the Panthers are not a legacy franchise, are in a relatively small market, and have a company man for an owner.

The precedents being set will inevitably lead to false accusations for a competitive advantage as described above.