Ryan Kelly - Is he as good as advertised?

pehawk

Reaction score
All I hear is glowing reports. Reports so good that, even though he's a center, he won't be there at 26.

Thoughts draftperts?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't really know shit about evaluating linemen. But I do recognize an ass kicker when I see one. He is a pretty good ass kicker.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I think there is a decent chance he could be there at 26, I just hope PCJS will draft him there. I have read that, not only is he the top rated center, but the top rated interior offensive lineman. They say that he could slide to either guard spot and be just as good. A lot of potential there. I have my fingers crossed on this one.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
The Colts are definitely appeasing local sports radio and reaching for a lineman. They're the wild card I think.

Always scared of Bama boys though.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Most of the rankings I see indicate that Kelly will be there at 26. I wouldn't be disappointed if we took him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I hope we take him, we won't need a center until Russell retires

kearly

Reaction score
I see him as being more competent than dominant. But even if he's only NFL average in terms of ability, he's also a dependable, experienced center with leadership skills. He wouldn't need to dominate to solidify our O-line. He doesn't have the required 9' broad jump, but centers rarely do. I'd be plenty happy if he was Seattle's first pick, as he's one of the few options at #26 that is as good as advertised.

penihawk

Reaction score
Hasn't allowed a sack in two years,technically sound,football smart and a leader. That sounds like a pretty good combo with the guy that would be taking the snap from him. I've been a fan for a while.

penihawk

Reaction score
If he's not and Conklin & Decker are gone please let it be a defensive player if we make the pick at 26.

Davidess

Reaction score
I think Kelly would be a great pick. We need a true C and I think a C/QB relationship is one of the most important on field relationships if not the most. based on what I've read and seen of him he is definitely someone id consider and would nab in a hurry. He doesn't test out well with the TEF formula that has been thrown out there which leads me to think, What if the hawks look for something else in there C's. Look at our past C's (Nowak, Lewis, LJP) none of them tested above the TEF threshold of 3.0. The only one who has but has yet to play is Sokoli.

I really hope the hawks take him but if the formula for the hawks Oline hold true I don't see him being picked. would be nice having that Oline solidified with an actual starting caliber C.

I hope he's there and we take him. If the hawks don't. I have a feeling the Cards will. there only real weakness among that offense is C.

TwilightError

Reaction score
He would be my pick. A solid building block for a sketchy o-line is exactly what the team needs and value at 26 is just right.

penihawk

Reaction score
I agree with the posters above. If we don't take him at 26, we won't get him.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
The closer it gets to draft day, the more hopeful I am that the Hawks grab him if he's there. Heck, I wouldn't even be upset if they have to move up a few spots to get him. If the Hawks pass on him for a d lineman (nkemdech) or whatever his name is, it'll be a huge mistake

Largent80

Reaction score
It starts in the middle and our middle last year was as soft as Pe after a night at Chippendales.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I've been wanting him as a Hawk for the last month or two. I'm unfortunately skeptical that he gets chosen by Seattle even if he is there at #26.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I was holding out hope we'd snag Kelly with our 2nd rounder, but that became unrealistic.

Then my hope was trading out of the 1st round and grabbing him early-mid 2nd, but that is starting to look unrealistic.

I was hoping to avoid taking him at 26, but at this point i can't complain.

Late 1st for a good center who will be cheap for 4 years? I'll take it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1fhstsi8 said:
I was holding out hope we'd snag Kelly with our 2nd rounder, but that became unrealistic.

Then my hope was trading out of the 1st round and grabbing him early-mid 2nd, but that is starting to look unrealistic.

The perk of taking him at 26 is you get him for 5 years if you want him. So if he became a Top 5 center .. that extra year becomes a big deal.

tooshort

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":rg1b58zd said:
bjornanderson21":rg1b58zd said:

The perk of taking him at 26 is you get him for 5 years if you want him. So if he became a Top 5 center .. that extra year becomes a big deal.

Let me preface this with the fact that I would be fine with Kelly at #26, but I just don't believe the 5th year option is much of a perk in the case of drafting a Center.

The 5th year option for a 26th pick is the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid players at their position, which for a top 10 player at most positions would be a great deal for the team,but not really at Center. Since the salary groups are split into much smaller positional groupings at QB,RB,WR,TE,CB,DE,DT,S,and K/P you would typically get a good value on your 5th year investment (Let's just say we won't ever have to worry about the ripoff that would be Fullback or Punter contract falling into the average RB or Kicker salaries since those positions are not going to ever be first rounders in the modern game).

With a Center (or Guard to a much lesser degree) the value of the 5th year option gets a bit diluted by the fact that the option is calculated based on the average of 3rd-25th highest salaries of all offensive line positions. Once you throw Tackle and elite Guard salaries into the average 5th year salary equation, the contract a 5th year option center would take in doesn't seem like much of a bargain. (My math probably isn't perfect, but it's close) For example this years 5th year option salary for olinemen picked after pick #10 would slot a center at around $7,670,000, within 20k of the 3rd highest salary for a center and only about $900k from the highest paid center in the league.

I'd have no problem with the pick, but using the 5th year option (and franchise tag for that matter) on interior lineman isn't really a financially beneficial option. :stirthepot: