Under-the-Radar prospect: Nebraska (DE) Randy Gregory

cover-2

Reaction score
Nebraska (DE) Randy Gregory is a exciting prospect, and would be a perfect fit at our LEO position. I was scouting his teammate (CB) Stanley Jean-Baptiste and this Gregory kid kept flashing off the screen. Gregory has 1st round talent, but I have really only casually scouted him because I thought he was a true sophomore until I did a little digging for more info on him finding that this is his 3rd year at the collegiate level. Gregory is 6-6 255 lbs., he has good quickness, closing speed, good fluidity for his size, and long arms. Vs. Northwestern he put the LT on his back by using quickness, good leverage, and his long arms (the kid will out long arm some OT). He is athletic enough to drop back into coverage, but I haven't seen him do it enough to get a feel to grade him on it (though he did get an interception this season when he did drop back into coverage). Gregory played two years at JUCO, great freshman year but missed sophomore season with an injury. He has the frame to bulk up. He could go the route of Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul, two years at JUCO with one year at D-I school then declare for the draft.

6_1056275.JPG

Here is a highlight of Gregory.
[youtube]vl-VlFflrdc[/youtube]

[youtube]lVgSPtFh5I4[/youtube]

Here is Gregory's freshman (he was out with an injury his sophomore year) highlights from Arizona Western Community College.
[youtube]Ag99cSdBr30[/youtube]

Here is a highlight of Gregory his senior year in high school, which kind of shows some of his athleticism.
[youtube]ww9SLmjZCiU[/youtube]

FMFUKQTBWFPPWRX.20131013010326.JPG

Here is Gregory's bio on Nebraska team web site. http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =206288262

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
Quick update for Randy Gregory. He had a breakout game vs. Michigan today. Gregory had 3 sacks, also a few hits on the QB as he was releasing the ball, and few other pressures on the QB. Nebraska had him line up at LB a fair amount of times to blitz the QB. Gregory was more disruptive when blitzing as a LB than he was lined up as DE, Michigan's OT' played him well. The TV commentators covering the game praised him a lot today, which wasn't the case earlier this season. Gregory today looked like a top-15 prospect.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
titan3131":3g8v5e60 said:
ok I like. whats his sparq

I don't know what his sparq is, couldn't find it. He was lightly recruited out of high school, so he may not have tested for it. This past year he was the #1 Junior College DE recruit, but I don't think JC recruits test for the sparq. But, sparq is basically the NFL combines basic tests, and I'm sure Gregory would put up some good numbers at the combine. If you get a chance to watch a Nebraska game on TV, I would recommend you to keep an eye on him. He was an absolute terror when Nebraska played him as a rush LB vs. Michigan, Nebraska just moved Gregory around to utilize his speed and athleticism.

Another quick update on Gregory...He is one of 18 DE to earn a mid-season watch list for the Hendricks Award (awarded to the best college defensive end). Here is the article about it. http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =209305861
So he is starting to get some momentum now as a prospect. I would love to get him with our 1st round pick, although if he declared I don't know if he would be available late in the 1st.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
Gregory had another good game this past weekend against Michigan St. He had one sack, a few hits on the QB, and pressured the QB multiple times. He currently has 8.5 sacks, with 12.5 tackles for loss...not bad for a guy who was coming off the bench until last week.

He is finally starting to get some coverage from a draft site. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-12-stock-report-learn-the-name-randy-gregory

450103449.jpg