Cortez Kennedy dead at 48

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Man, we lost a legend! Really enjoyed watching him play, even though during his years my ability to watch every game was severely hampered. So sad, and like many have already said, way too young.

Thoughts:

1. Glad, so glad he got to be inducted into the Hall of Fame before he died. A posthumous honor would not nearly have been the same.

2. 'Hawks need to honor him somehow this year, which I'm sure they will.

Rest in piece, Tez. You are missed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1j0ofcb8 said:
2. 'Hawks need to honor him somehow this year, which I'm sure they will.

My guess is they'll have a #96 sticker for the player helmets, as well as some sort of ceremony at a home game honoring him with his old teammates coming back or something like that.

It was very cathartic and inspiring listening to all the old players, coaches and rivals glowingly talking about Tez all week.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
DAsAol2XUAEDGTY

The New Orleans Saints opened Organized Team Activities this week, and early Thursday — two days after the passing of Seahawks Legend Cortez Kennedy — the team unveiled a decal on their gold helmets to honor the Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive tackle.

New Orleans' relationship to Kennedy stems from Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, who worked in the Seahawks’ front office for much of Kennedy’s playing career. Kennedy and Loomis became close friends, with Kennedy even taking on the role of godfather to one of Loomis’ children and becoming the namesake to another.

"All of us are devastated, would be the way to describe it,” Saints head coach Sean Payton said Thursday of Kennedy’s passing. "It just was so sudden. It’s tough. It’s tough. He and Mickey were obviously extremely close and I think Mickey said it best; as great a player as he was — and trust me, if you had to pull a starting lineup out of the Hall of Fame on defense, he’s in the starting lineup — but he was that good of guy off the field, friendly to everybody. He’ll be missed.”

On Tuesday, Loomis released a statement through the Saints on Kennedy’s passing.

"Today, the NFL lost a legend and a Hall of Fame player,” the statement began. "Joe and Ruby Harris, his parents, lost a loving son, and his beautiful daughter Courtney lost the most caring and best father I know. My wife Melanie and I, my sons Alex and Sam and daughters Katherine and Lucy are devastated by this loss. Cortez is godfather to Lucy and Samuel Cortez bears his name.

"Many who will read about him in the coming days will read of his success on the field as a great Seattle Seahawk and Miami Hurricane; however the full story lies in his loving, fun, positive and giving heart. In my many years working in the NFL, no one better exemplified what it meant to be a great player on the field, and yet that paled in comparison to what Cortez meant to the people who knew him off the field. People of all races, religions and nationalities counted him as a friend; athletes and non-athletes alike. We should all aspire to have as big a heart as his!

"His loving and fun personality was often present in our building. He was very close to our owners Tom and Gayle Benson and our head Coach Sean Payton, but what I loved most about Cortez was the care and time he took in cultivating relationships with the equipment guys, security, ball boys, trainers, scouts, ticketing staff -- the staffs that work long hours behind the scenes, he appreciated their hard work and recognized the contribution they made to any team's success.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Joe and Ruby, Courtney and the vast number of people who counted Cortez as a close friend; he will be missed by everyone, certainly myself included. We have a lost a true Saint of a person."

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/05/25 ... met-decals

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Sign37now":1fn6jsxo said:
Very sad.. 48 years old? I'm 3 years older than that...

Any word on what the cause was yet?

Steve Raible mentioned on the evening news the day Tez passed that he had been fighting ever growing Diabetes related medical problems, this would make more sense than anything else to me, but time will tell.

IrishNW

Reaction score
I hope this bring the reality to some players on this team that petty issues like who likes who and who said what are just that...petty issues. Tez was a dying breed of men and people like him are exactly what this world needs more of.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IrishNW":2r5c1wf9 said:
I hope this bring the reality to some players on this team that petty issues like who likes who and who said what are just that...petty issues. Tez was a dying breed of men and people like him are exactly what this world needs more of.
Exactly!
I bet Kenny will honor him in his HOF speech this summer.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Cortez Kennedy is a genuine role model on how one should go about their lives. Giving, funny, laid back, and fun loving. No one has a bad word to say about the guy, or ever did. A true hero in a time where true hero's are few and far between. Just look at how tough the Saints organization is taking the news, and he never even played for them. That's true class right there.

We lost a great one, no doubt. But he will never be forgotten. Hopefully the team wears a patch in his honor this season, as well as a decal on their helmets.

I'm honored that the first Seahawks home game I ever attended, just so happened to be when Cortez was inducted into the Ring of Honor. I'll never forget that. However, I am a little upset with myself that I'm fairly certain I flew on the same plane to Seattle with Tez once, but didn't work up the courage to thank him for his contributions to the Seahawks, and the world. Oh well, it wasn't meant to be I guess.

Rest easy, big fella! Hopefully the boys deliver you a Super Bowl this season, in your honor!

RIP Tez!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Couple of pics. I was at a game too.

Attachments

• Tez2006a.jpg
    Tez2006a.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 3,469
  • Tez2006b.jpg
    Tez2006b.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 3,469

Jville

Reaction score
One of a kind. Most dominate defensive tackle I ever saw.

A great human being and role model.

The world is a poorer place with his passing.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He was one of the very best ever to play his position.

I have been unable to determine what caused his death. Seems strange an athlete like Tez would die suddenly at only 48, was it a heart issue or a stroke?

This news really took most of the joy out of this week. He was one of my all time Seahawks favourites.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
NINEster":9qmt1x6j said:
Did you take that from the webzone thread that is using the all to premature death of a hall of famer to mock seahawk fans?

Scum of the Earth.

bluengreen

Reaction score
Wow, terrible news. It's been a tough time in Seattle lately.

Even when the team was horrible, Tez gave a good reason to watch. What a player. RIP

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/michaelirvin88/status/870330988022419456[/tweet]
Seahawks will wear “96” numerals in 2017 to honor Cortez Kennedy >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/6/1/15725848/seattle-seahawks-wear-96-numerals-2017-honor-cortez-kennedy[/urltargetblank]

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jville":2ji5ihio said:
Seahawks will wear “96” numerals in 2017 to honor Cortez Kennedy]

I'm not surprised, but I'm ecstatic to hear this. It would have been a true shame if they didn't do something along these lines (at the very least).

Jville

Reaction score
rm5_7177.jpg

John Boyle article >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/06/02/seahawks-honor-cortez-kennedy-%E2%80%9896%E2%80%99-helmet-decal[/urltargetblank]