Cortez Kennedy dead at 48

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8937fbhc said:
Cortez Kennedy had 242 tackles from 91-93.

Ndamukong Suh has 260. In his career.
WOW!!! That's an awesome stat. Thanks :2thumbs:

hawkpride

Reaction score
I watched in aww of your amazing talent, for a team that was so weak and could not find a way to win. But you always gave your all (and more), opposing players respected your ability so much you were doubled and or tripled teamed because of your ability.

RIP big fella, you will never ever be forgot..........Way, way to young to go, God bless his family and may he be led into heaven wearing his Hall of Fame coat.

As Tez said "God Bless the Hawks"

semiahmoo

Reaction score
One of the greats of that era. Seahawks were horrible but man could CT play. Explosive off the line for such a big fella.

NFL lineman seem to have short expiration dates.

RIP.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
One of the truly great guys and an absolute beast of a football player.

Tez was one of a kind and a genuine favourite of mine.

He will be sorely missed. R.I.P. Tez, you were loved by many.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
What the hell?? Seattle is getting beat up this week with deaths! Cortez was the ONLY reason to cheer in '92. To get Defensive Player of the Year on a 2-14 team is unheard of... Just tells you how frickin' good he was. In clips of old interviews today on the Dori Monson show, (who currently does the Seahawks pregame and postgame on Kiro radio-Seattle), 'Tez kinda backhanded the offense of '92... He said, paraphrasing, "We barely had time to take a sip of gatoraide before we heard "DEFENSE" again... I started to think my name was "Defense" instead of Cortez"... lol... Dori and Cortez's teammate Dave Wyman (LB), lamented how he never had a bad thing to say... Was just the nicest guy you've ever talked to... Unless you were lined up against him on the field... RIP my old hero, "Tez".... Thanks for all the great moments. Sorry you younger guys never had a chance to see him in action. He was a force to be reckoned with, and offenses planned their whole scheme around him. He was THAT dominant! Think J.J. Watt of his time... In '92, we may have gone 2-14... But if we had had SOME semblance of an offense, we could have been something that year 'cause we had the best Defense in the NFL. But us older 'hawks fans know the story all too well of the MESS we were in back then....

But back to Cortez... Way too soon man. Sad, and missed you will be... :(

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
My cat does not understand....RIP Tez.....RIP James Bond...aka Roger Moore.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
There was a game in '92 or '93 I can't recall exactly but I was there in the Kingdome and the offense was it's usual non-existent self. The score was 6-3 or something like that and 'Tez was just blowing up every damn play, basically carrying the whole team on his back. I don't think he came off the field once until early in the 4th quarter and then I see him hobbling to the sideline and I'm thinking 'NOT GOOD' and of course the other team starts rolling on offense and I think the final was like 24-6, so if you just look at the score you'd think it was another blow out but damn if 'Tez didn't give everything he had for the game until he just had nothing left.

Thanks for being a great Seahawk, Cortez. You deserved a ring and all you got was one crappy playoff loss. To be honest, I don't think I appreciated your career as much as I should have, but your place in Seahawk history is rock solid.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
RIP Big Man, you will truly be missed!

Also, I just heard Steve Raible on KIRO news mention that Tez had been fighting ever growing diabetes related problems that last few years, that starts to make some sense why he passed not even 50 years old but still way to soon.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Words do not provide justice to the effort.

My favorite play of all time was vs. Kansas City, possibly rookie year. He met Christian Okoye with a full head and slammed him backwards. Dierdorf said something like "That is what happens when 260 pounds meets +300". Tez knocked the nightmare back and that was the end of the Seattle Seahawks being trucked by Okoye.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":22rhyzw7 said:
Words do not provide justice to the effort.

My favorite play of all time was vs. Kansas City, possibly rookie year. He met Christian Okoye with a full head and slammed him backwards. Dierdorf said something like "That is what happens when 260 pounds meets +300". Tez knocked the nightmare back and that was the end of the Seattle Seahawks being trucked by Okoye.

Ha! I remember that! Okoye met the REAL nightmare! :D

Canhawks

Reaction score
I remember when our idiot owner Ken Behring threatened to move the franchise overnight to California,Cortez said I aint going,my contract is with the SEATTLE Seahawks ONLY!! Always remember that,stand up guy,maybe the greatest Hawk of all time.

irocdave

Reaction score
I heard the news after getting out of a meeting this morning and it was like being kicked in the boys. He was such a great human being and as mentioned, WAS the Seahawks for most of the 90's as he was the only player worth watching play in and out. He was such a likable person in interviews and for several years was the only bright spot on our NFL team. He was the only one that got any kind of recognition on the national level and honestly, it was for good reason on both sides of the equation.

When I married my girlfriend in the late 90's and decided to get a dog, we chose a chocolate lab pup with a huge head and chest. His name choice was so obvious when I first saw him, big lovable galoof that was powerful, lovable and full of energy. We called him Cortez but that only lasted a couple of minutes, he was Tez or Tezzo for the rest of his life. Best dog anyone could have known.

Dammit, Cortez Kennedy was way to young to leave this world. I hope his family and friends understands what a great person he was and how much older seahawks fans appreciated him.

Rest in piece Tez.

Boohman14

Reaction score
The man was unblockable. I remember that he wanted to go into law enforcement. I remember thinking resisting arrest would never be an option. He was often the focal point in those dismal Flores teams.
Only the good die young they say. As echoed by all, "He was a great football player and a greater human being, This news is such a gut punch. RIP Tez

irocdave

Reaction score
This may have been posted earlier on this site, I don't recall. The only controversy Tez was involved in with the Seahawks was when he and Rick Mirer were caught eating hot dogs during a game on the sidelines. It was a huge deal back then.

Look at our team right now and think about that.

Heyseed

Reaction score
I'll always remember Cortez crushing Todd Marinovich into a human aluminum can.
That was awesome