In praise of Darrell Bevell

iigakusei

Reaction score
Yeah Bevell is fabulous for drawing up a game plan. What an accomplishment for an OC. Off topic slightly - I would love to see a RB screen or a slant please, even once or twice to keep the pass rush guessing. I will never understand it for the life of me.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1t41xfij said:
Siouxhawk":1t41xfij said:
Bev made adjustments all game. In the second half, it was obvious the gameplan would be to go with a big portion of Carson to take advantage of a worn out Niners front. That worked.
And on the game-winner, the personnel grouping had PRich in ISO coverage so that Russ, after playing Frogger with the Niners defense, was able to anticipate where the pattern would take Richardson and made a nice throw to get it there.

Bevell has been making these types of adjustments all along. Not every play is going to work, but by and large they do. Pete realizes this too.

Bevell had nothing to do with the game winner. The play he had drawn up failed, so Russ ran out of the pocket, Richardson went into "run around and get open mode", Russ threw while being tackled and prich made a great catch.

No where did Bevell have any part, other than the failure of the original play all, of that TD.

In Russ's Monday press conference he goes over in detail what happened, so you can't call reality opinion like you normally do.

Bev is still not good at his job, and is atrocious at making adjustments, but the first drive of this game he looked like an actual OC. That is all this thread is saying, that other things were larger factors and Bevell didn't do too bad of a job in this game.

Exactly. The things Bevell could control did work on Sunday, but I don't care who your OC is if your QB played like Wilson did in the 3rd qtr then you will not get anything done.

edogg23

Reaction score
I did notice that later in the game they were actually spreading out the offense keeping the defense from being bunched up at the LOS which helped a lot. I don't get why it took so many quarters to try something so obvious but whatever...
I have to wonder why you run the bootleg to your TE like 3 times in one game when the TE gets completely blown up for 1-2 yards every single time.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
johnnyfever":20zat56h said:
Bevell had nothing to do with the game winner. The play he had drawn up failed, so Russ ran out of the pocket, Richardson went into "run around and get open mode", Russ threw while being tackled and prich made a great catch.

No where did Bevell have any part, other than the failure of the original play all, of that TD.

In Russ's Monday press conference he goes over in detail what happened, so you can't call reality opinion like you normally do.

Bev is still not good at his job, and is atrocious at making adjustments, but the first drive of this game he looked like an actual OC. That is all this thread is saying, that other things were larger factors and Bevell didn't do too bad of a job in this game.

You're both right. The offensive coordinator deserves a share of credit for a successful scramble game, and every successful game will involve improvisation to some extent. But if enough of an OC's play designs are failing, then he deserves criticism, as well.

That was Bevell prior to the 2015 bye. Afterwards, he implemented a functional, if uninspired, spread offense that Seattle could roll out whenever they wanted to lead with the pass. Trouble is, every time they try to move away from that spread offense, they discover the hard way that nope, Cable's projects STILL haven't matured and nope, we STILL haven't found a real running back, oh look you lost that game. Shoulda stuck to the pass.

At this point, though, Bevell's spread has largely been figured out, and it's down to "stop us if you can". That's more on Pete than Bevell - he wants to be a "stop us if you can" scheme, and there's a point at which predictability does indeed stop you.