Penny frustrated, Pete likes it.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":u5r404wh said:
Seymour":u5r404wh said:
ImTheScientist":u5r404wh said:
Cool tweet/stat I just found...Penny was fastest ball carrier this week.

Fastest Seahawks ball carriers by week
1) Tyler Lockett 20.35 MPH
2) Tyler Lockett 18.33 MPH
3) Chris Carson 19.9 MPH
4) David Moore 18.49 MPH
5) Tyler Lockett 20 MPH
6) Rashaad Penny 19.1 MPH

Don’t know how to post it but there is the link.
https://twitter.com/parkerlewisjr/statu ... 52736?s=21

Interesting world you live in where 19.1 is faster than 19.9. :roll:

More evidance that you ignore Carson's numbers and production in a very odd manner.

It was broken down by Week, not by order within one week. Carson was the fastest in Week 3, Penny in Week 6.

Either way it doesn't fit the post on who is fastest on the field between Carson and Penny.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Seymour":32nu16ix said:
ImTheScientist":32nu16ix said:

3) Chris Carson 19.9 MPH
4) David Moore 18.49 MPH
5) Tyler Lockett 20 MPH

That’s week by week. Weeks 1-6 listed. I would imagine playing surface/conditions have an impact on speed.... Cool that Penny was the fastest this week on what was an extremely slow track.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Seymour":2y8k8wr8 said:
Either way it doesn't fit the post on who is fastest on the field between Carson and Penny.

The correct answer to that question is Penny. His 40 was 4.45 while Carson was 4.58 I believe.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/1051876616463417345[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2a7rlrhw said:
Seymour":2a7rlrhw said:
ImTheScientist":2a7rlrhw said:

3) Chris Carson 19.9 MPH
4) David Moore 18.49 MPH
5) Tyler Lockett 20 MPH

That’s week by week. Weeks 1-6 listed. I would imagine playing surface/conditions have an impact on speed.... Cool that Penny was the fastest this week on what was an extremely slow track.

When it comes to RB position, the runner would need to break a run into open field to hit full speed, and that doesn't happen every game for all RB's getting touches. Evidence of that can be seen in week 2 and 4.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I sort of understand the mindset to trash other players in hopes of elevating a guy you are championing. There's only one ball, after all, and so on a superficial level it looks like Penny's opportunities can only come if Carson fails. You're just not putting enough weight on the benefits of spreading workload around and the necessity of depth in the NFL.

Consider how close most backs are with their supposed "competition" and that the happiest people after any RB goes off are usually his fellow RBs. Having a productive group overall helps everybody, guys are fresher when they are given carries, they are more likely to remain available with a lower workload, and most importantly there will always be a need for depth at the position just given the punishing nature of the NFL. The example you should be taking from Ware is that he got hurt and the depth at the position has been key for Kansas City.

Personally, I would be thrilled if you are still banging this drum in week 14 because it means our group has defied the odds to remain relatively healthy.

adeltaY

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":nqemf5sr said:
Seymour":nqemf5sr said:
Very strange you call yourself a fan, yet throw shade on someone that is playing very well for your team??

I agree. Not sure why fans are throwing shade on Penny. Dudes been playing well when given the chance. I fully expect post bye week he will further be integrated into the offense.

I watched the whole game again and Penny actually looked really fast and was a good contributor.

Carson was better. Both can be true.

Again, you say Penny is averaging more YPC over the last two games. He is still 0.6 YPC under carson for the season. What's your answer to that?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Seymour":3lk4vh48 said:
ImTheScientist":3lk4vh48 said:
Seymour":3lk4vh48 said:
ImTheScientist":3lk4vh48 said:

3) Chris Carson 19.9 MPH
4) David Moore 18.49 MPH
5) Tyler Lockett 20 MPH

When it comes to RB position, the runner would need to break a run into open field to hit full speed, and that doesn't happen every game for all RB's getting touches. Evidence of that can be seen in week 2 and 4.

Not sure I understand what you are trying to get at....My post was Penny was the fastest ball carrier week 6. If you feel he wasn’t the fastest ball carrier week 6 let me know and I can help explain via PM.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
It was certainly encouraging to see Penny help contribute, meaning we now have 3 quality backs that can be used in various situations (I wouldn't mind seeing a couple plays with all 3 of them out there in an old school triple I or wildcat). But he doesn't seem able to get any of the tough yards and appears to lack the mindset that he would sell out his body to get the 1st down--intangibles Lynch, Carson and Davis have in spades.

Penny's improvement is noted though and he can definitely help the team, but Carson has earned the right to be the featured back-he's produced, is consistent and a warrior out there giving max effort for every yard. So for someone to just cherry pick stats and seemingly root against Carson in desperate hope Penny will be the starter (in the same fashion last year with Lacy when Carson started) is bordering on Siouxhawk style weirdness.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1rjesm75 said:
Seymour":1rjesm75 said:
ImTheScientist":1rjesm75 said:
Seymour":1rjesm75 said:

If you feel he wasn’t the fastest ball carrier week 6 let me know and I can help explain via PM.

Keep up the pretentious dick comments like that and I'm sure you'll gain even more support for your agenda here.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Penny, I think, has a knack for being a real screen weapon. That's how a lot of his yards have come. He strikes me as a guy who really needs a full head of steam to get going, at least for now. Too much dancing behind the line at the moment, and that's a legit knock regardless of his YPC. He's boom-or-bust.

Now, you want that on your team, still, and you also want insurance for when one of your RB's has an injury history and the other is Mike Davis.

Whether a first-round pick is too steep a price for what I just described - that's a legitimate question. I personally am not worried about it. But I can understand that a few people are.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/1051915736774561795[/tweet]

Any candidate for "best RB" needs to be able to break tackles. You can't just run him on stretches and avoid up-the-gut the entire game. Penny is the clear #3 in that regard...at the moment.

Seymour

Reaction score
Is the orange RBc mean yards after contact?

If so that proves what myself and a few others have noticed. Penny not fighting through tackles much at all.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3t2w2450 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/1051915736774561795[/tweet]

Any candidate for "best RB" needs to be able to break tackles. You can't just run him on stretches and avoid up-the-gut the entire game. Penny is the clear #3 in that regard...at the moment.

Agreed. That graph corresponds with the eye test as well. Thanks for that Montana.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1ha7tup0 said:
I see a fast, quick twitch guy who can change directions with slight jukes. Also has really great hands. He’s a guy who’s going to get 120 yards a game and you’d never notice

His main flaw is that the game is too fast for him. Unfortunately, we live in a microscopic, over reactionary hot take media culture that writes players off early and then eats crow when no one listens to them. Many times on this forum and elsewhere I’ve seen people flat out give up on players only to play dumb later. Stop with the Hot Take bullshit and just give a young player time to grow

You're exactly right; With Carson & Davis kicking ass right now, no one should expect a less experienced Rookie RB to be taking plays away from them.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

sc85sis

Reaction score
He missed the last three preseason games of his rookie year. As a result, the first three real games essentially were his preseason, except the other team was now playing for real.

He wasn’t very good those three games. Our o-line was also pretty bad in the first two games. In the two games since then (in which he’s had carries), he’s averaged 5.4 and 4.8 yards a carry.

Can we just be happy that we very well may have a three-headed monster at the RB position?

sutz

Reaction score
sc85sis":2n979jet said:
Can we just be happy that we very well may have a three-headed monster at the RB position?
Some of us are. :mrgreen:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
sc85sis":2cj3aoj3 said:
He missed the last three preseason games of his rookie year. As a result, the first three real games essentially were his preseason, except the other team was now playing for real.

He wasn’t very good those three games. Our o-line was also pretty bad in the first two games. In the two games since then (in which he’s had carries), he’s averaged 5.4 and 4.8 yards a carry.

I don't understand why people keep using this argument to defend him. BUT HE MISSED PRESEASON GAMES! It's a bad argument. Running back is one of the most instinctual positions in the NFL. You can still study the playbook, and run basic drills with a broken finger in training camp. You also are able to study the playbook, and get a good idea of what you're supposed to do even while injured. When we traded for Marshawn Lynch in 2010 the moment he got on the field he was a clear upgrade from what we had. He didn't have any time to learn the playbook, he just jumped in and produced. He turned clear losses into short gains, and even though stats may not show it he was a difference maker and everyone here could see it.

Penny is just not that great of a running back. For a back lauded for having great vision he shows a ton of hesitation, and seems to have a hard time finding creases. He is able to run through gaping holes, but even Trent Richardson could find those from time to time. He doesn't really offer much as far as creating yards. Has a hard time making the first tackler miss, and goes down very easily, too easily. His only real value right now are his soft hands, and the fact that he is coming along as a pass blocker. Essentially a third down back. That is all fine and good, but you don't take third down backs and role players with first round picks. I think that is all Penny is ever going to be, and amount to. He just doesn't have the instincts or chops to be a top tier NFL running back. You can criticize me now, but I'm confident time will prove me to be correct on this matter.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":14p5doip said:
sc85sis":14p5doip said:

I don't understand why people keep using this argument to defend him. BUT HE MISSED PRESEASON GAMES! It's a bad argument. Running back is one of the most instinctual positions in the NFL. You can still study the playbook, and run basic drills with a broken finger in training camp. You also are able to study the playbook, and get a good idea of what you're supposed to do even while injured. When we traded for Marshawn Lynch in 2010 the moment he got on the field he was a clear upgrade from what we had. He didn't have any time to learn the playbook, he just jumped in and produced. He turned clear losses into short gains, and even though stats may not show it he was a difference maker and everyone here could see it.

Penny is just not that great of a running back. For a back lauded for having great vision he shows a ton of hesitation, and seems to have a hard time finding creases. He is able to run through gaping holes, but even Trent Richardson could find those from time to time. He doesn't really offer much as far as creating yards. Has a hard time making the first tackler miss, and goes down very easily, too easily. His only real value right now are his soft hands, and the fact that he is coming along as a pass blocker. Essentially a third down back. That is all fine and good, but you don't take third down backs and role players with first round picks. I think that is all Penny is ever going to be, and amount to. He just doesn't have the instincts or chops to be a top tier NFL running back. You can criticize me now, but I'm confident time will prove me to be correct on this matter.

Alexander could not make his own holes, I would argue Dickerson the same way, both had great lines and had huge gaps to run thru most times, Shaun had a great ability to follow a block and slide to a open crease on the goal line however.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Rookies need preseason to adjust to blocking schemes and the speed of the NFL. I don’t care what position they play, there’s an adjustment.