Penny frustrated, Pete likes it.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I see a fast, quick twitch guy who can change directions with slight jukes. Also has really great hands. He’s a guy who’s going to get 120 yards a game and you’d never notice

His main flaw is that the game is too fast for him. Unfortunately, we live in a microscopic, over reactionary hot take media culture that writes players off early and then eats crow when no one listens to them. Many times on this forum and elsewhere I’ve seen people flat out give up on players only to play dumb later. Stop with the Hot Take bullshit and just give a young player time to grow

hawknation2018

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":zg57klh6 said:
Facts are Penny had the best YPC today amongst the group and most his carries were in clear running situations. He also lead the RB group in rec yards.

Unfortunately the fan base and media isn’t going to give him a fair chance. We are lucky Russell survived his first half a year because I remember media and fans were similarly negative.

Penny had a couple nice moments today. But he's still way behind Carson. When people start taking the conversation in that direction, it gets ridiculous.

Why have you never given Carson any credit?

rcaido

Reaction score
Kid cant catch a break at .net

9 carries 43yrds 4.8 AVG
2 rec 27yrds
Couple first down runs

Penny would need 100yards 2td to get a shoulder shrug here.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1dlknuht said:
ImTheScientist":1dlknuht said:
Facts are Penny had the best YPC today amongst the group and most his carries were in clear running situations. He also lead the RB group in rec yards.

Unfortunately the fan base and media isn’t going to give him a fair chance. We are lucky Russell survived his first half a year because I remember media and fans were similarly negative.

Penny had a couple nice moments today. But he's still way behind Carson. When people start taking the conversation in that direction, it gets ridiculous.

If you swapped the names/stat lines and Carson had Penny’s stat line and useage the fans and media would throw a fit this week. I should probably know better than to expect fair treatment for all players. It’s obvious when a group has it out for someone.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
rcaido":1qji5442 said:

9 carries 43yrds 4.8 AVG
2 rec 27yrds
Couple first down runs

Lol.... just posted the same thing. He can’t catch one with the local media either.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":p5u3qhhy said:
hawknation2018":p5u3qhhy said:
ImTheScientist":p5u3qhhy said:

If you swapped the names/stat lines and Carson had Penny’s stat line and useage the fans and media would throw a fit this week. I should probably know better than to expect fair treatment for all players. It’s obvious when a group has it out for someone.

I've defended Penny on here, and I like his development and the way he was mixed into the offense today.

But it's not just about stats; it's about the way they play. Carson had several big runs that were negated by penalty, and the points he helped put up allowed the team to rest him in garbage time. Carson is clearly running the ball better. He runs with more decisiveness, breaks tackles, and finishes runs with power.

Yet, you stubbornly belittle Carson as "just a guy." When will you admit you are wrong?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
rcaido":j9lyhavn said:

9 carries 43yrds 4.8 AVG
2 rec 27yrds
Couple first down runs

The problem, I suspect that many fans have with Penny is that he didn’t have 150 yards rushing and 3TDs in the first game of the season. First impressions I guess. He had the most yards from scrimmage today behind ADB. He already has the looks of being a more complete back than Carson. In more complete, I mean the ability to run and catch the ball. Carson is a good strong runner but Davis is the one in on 3rd downs and is the one that they will throw to.

toffee

Reaction score
I am liking this debate, a lot!! We are issues on having three productive RBs, what a nice problem to have?? This time last years, anyone remember this time last year? We were debating how many pregame burgers our back had.

toffee

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2gxjfaez said:
If 11 touches for 70 yards doesn’t get you more time what will.

Thought Penny had 9 carries for 43 yards, avg 4.8 ypc this afternoon?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
toffee":3bymux6r said:
ImTheScientist":3bymux6r said:

He had two additional receptions. 11 touches for 70 yards. By far the leader in the RB room today.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":8sgis4pb said:
toffee":8sgis4pb said:
ImTheScientist":8sgis4pb said:

He had two additional receptions. 11 touches for 70 yards. By far the leader in the RB room today.
He got all of his rushing yardage in garbage time when the defense was worn out, and the Raiders had essentially given up. He had giant holes to run through as well. Carson and Davis got all of the hard yardage, even on his big runs he looked bad. He turned what should have been 20 yards into 5 on one occasion. He busted through the line, and we had blocks at the second level set up. The defender got one hand on him and brought Penny down. This is a reoccurring theme with Penny.

When I look at the guy I see a mediocre running back. He has good hands, yes but you don't draft third down backs with first round picks. Penny's issue is he can't make the first guy miss, or run through contact in the NFL. If a running back is unable to do that consistently then that running back really isn't a net positive. Penny's vision isn't particularly good at the NFL either. Lots of dancing, and hesitation before he commits to his hole.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Penny is just another guy, and is going to bust on the Seahawks and any other team that happens to have the misfortune of having him on the roster. People keep saying "but he had the highest YPC". That is what happens when you run in garbage time, that is generally where many backs get their largest swaths of yardage. We pounded the Raiders defensive line all game, and we had a vast time of possession advantage. The hard yardage was earned by Carson and Davis, and they were the ones that wore down the Raiders defense, and pulverized them. Penny got to run in the easiest stage of the game, against a team that had given up.

Penny is trash.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
^he got 8 of his carries when they knew we would run. That’s more impressive.

Prior to that he had 3 touches for ~35 yards. Haters gonna hate.

adeltaY

Reaction score
By far the best RB is too far. He played well, but I didn't see anything special YET from Penny, whereas Carson was breaking tackles left, right, and center and Mike Davis has pretty good lateral agility. Penny doesn't show off any high tier traits - he doesn't pop off the screen.

If you're going to use YPC, which is a very flawed metric, to say Penny is by far better then you're only looking at one game. Penny has 3.6 YPC thusfar this season and Chris Carson has 4.4 YPC. By your logic Penny has been over half a yard worse per carry this season compared to Carson.

People saying those concerned about Penny expect 100+ Yards and 2 TDs in his debut or per game are arguing against a strawman. Personally, I'd expect him to either be the starter or at worst the second string RB, given he's a second round pick and he's the third string RB. He also hasn't shown to be clearly superior to Carson or Davis on film. If the talent disparity was as clear as Scientist was saying, the vast majority of us would be clamoring for Penny to get more time.

hawk45

Reaction score
Yep. Don't care what his stat line is in garbage time when he's going down at first contact. Every single run I say to myself Carson, Davis, or Christine Michael would have gotten at least 2 more and sometimes many more.

He may get good but he's JAG now.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
hawk45":377jxic5 said:
Yep. Don't care what his stat line is in garbage time when he's going down at first contact. Every single run I say to myself Carson, Davis, or Christine Michael would have gotten at least 2 more and sometimes many more.

He may get good but he's JAG now.

Christine Michael? Puleeeze! I put Michael in the Procise camp as far as effectiveness.

chris98251

Reaction score
You say he got his yards in garbage time, 7 minutes in the game is not garbage in the NFL, many teams have come back with 7 minutes left. Being able to run hard and never let them have the ball was important, we could not do that last year to save ourselves. Penny doing it says a lot as far as giving him a chance to seal the deal and get experience.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
If Spencer Ware hadn’t got injured we would not seen Kareem Hunt like we did. Unfortunately coaches are stubborn. Ware to me is a pretty good Carson comp FWIW.

Latest posts