Russell Wilson is Elite | I'm Putting the Nail in the Coffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour

Reaction score
austinslater25":8n0fmq13 said:
The chances of finding a rookie QB who turns into a Wilson level talent is very rare. Ask Cleveland. Goff and Mahomes are playing well but they also have two of the brightest offensive minds in the league coaching them and play calling for them, we don't have that. Seattle is beyond dumb if they let him go and think they're going to land an elite guy in the draft.

No need to ask Cleveland, ask me! It took us 36 years to finally stumble on a franchise QB and people want to ditch him now because they dwell on his imperfections (that every QB has to some extent).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":m95u47o1 said:
austinslater25":m95u47o1 said:
The chances of finding a rookie QB who turns into a Wilson level talent is very rare. Ask Cleveland. Goff and Mahomes are playing well but they also have two of the brightest offensive minds in the league coaching them and play calling for them, we don't have that. Seattle is beyond dumb if they let him go and think they're going to land an elite guy in the draft.

No need to ask Cleveland, ask me! It took us 36 years to finally stumble on a franchise QB and people want to ditch him now because they dwell on his imperfections (that every QB has to some extent).

You and I have had conversations about paying Russell 30M+, so now you're OK with it?

Or do you think he's magically going to accept 23M a year, cause that's all you think he's worth.

It's a very fair question, and I see both sides. My hope is we draft or acquire another QB that can run this offense the way Pete wants...........but if not? Then IMO we don't have a choice, gotta pay Russell.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2q1sr8qe said:
Seymour":2q1sr8qe said:
austinslater25":2q1sr8qe said:

You and I have had conversations about paying Russell 30M+, so now you're OK with it?

Or do you think he's magically going to accept 23M a year, cause that's all you think he's worth.

It's a very fair question, and I see both sides. My hope is we draft or acquire another QB that can run this offense the way Pete wants...........but if not? Then IMO we don't have a choice, gotta pay Russell.

I've said all along I'm OK with paying Russell up to Rodgers $33M (preferably just under like last contract). Much over that....only if I know Pete will soon be gone.

But that is not what I answered either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":jpf750sk said:
Sgt. Largent":jpf750sk said:
Seymour":jpf750sk said:
austinslater25":jpf750sk said:

I've said all along I'm OK with paying Russell up to Rodgers $33M (preferably just under like last contract). Much over that....only if I know Pete will soon be gone.

So what if Pete stays?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ghnr82c said:
I love Russell, I'd love for him to retire a Seahawk, but we're lying to ourselves if we think it won't be EXTREMELY difficult to get back to a SB paying Russell north of 30M a year for the next 4-5 years.

Actually it is the opposite. The Seahawks do not have a snowball's chance in hell at winning a SuperBowl without Russell Wilson.

Please read my previous post in it's entirety that I addressed @ Twisted.

There is a lot of false correlation going on here when discussing this specific topic.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":2bu26945 said:
Sgt. Largent":2bu26945 said:
I love Russell, I'd love for him to retire a Seahawk, but we're lying to ourselves if we think it won't be EXTREMELY difficult to get back to a SB paying Russell north of 30M a year for the next 4-5 years.

Actually it is the opposite. The Seahawks do not have a snowball's chance in hell without Russell Wilson.

There is a lot of false correlation going on here when discussing this specific topic.

I for one think Pete can build another great defense again, a perennial top scoring defense that would allow for another good QB to step in and run his ball control/play action/explosive plays style of offense.

So my outlook is not as dire as yours or others who think we can only win another SB with Russell. To think we can only ever win again with Russell is a fatalistic outlook on the future of our Hawks.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":88maa5g1 said:
Fade":88maa5g1 said:
Sgt. Largent":88maa5g1 said:

Actually it is the opposite. The Seahawks do not have a snowball's chance in hell without Russell Wilson.

I for one think Pete can build another great defense again, a perennial top scoring defense that would allow for another good QB to step in and run his ball control/play action/explosive plays style of offense.

So my outlook is not as dire as yours or others who think we can only win another SB with Russell. To think we can only ever win again with Russell is a fatalistic outlook on the future of our Hawks.[

/quote]

Where and who? Russ makes throws every game the average guy you speak of can't.... Its ignorant at best to assume any average qb can come in and win... T jack was average ... You do recall how he did right

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Speaking of false assumptions Fade,

You are implying that I don't want to keep Wilson.

There is a screaming, shining difference between "QB A is not elite" or I "I don't know if he is going to be good enough to justify the giant contract", and "I hope they don't sign Wilson for a giant contract".

Because I don't believe he is elite, does not mean I think they need to start over.

The truth is, we probably don't have a choice. Wilson is going to get a giant contract. And it will very likely hamstring the team for years. But we cannot start over with a coach that is literally a few years out the door. So we are going to have the pay the price, then hope against hope that Wilson can be the guy for 4 quarters that he has shown in smaller stretches. And he will need to produce with a thinner defense and much less depth on both D & O.

The option before to switch horses would have only been viable before PA passed - for a number of reasons.

But let's not conflate "I don't think Wilson is Elite" with "I think we need to get rid of Wilson". The opportunity to evaluate Wilson with a different OC has come and passed. Our current OC is producing the high scoring offense I wanted, just with the run game instead of the pass. Now, is Wilson's contribution worth $30M a year? Probably not, esp not now. But there is no other option.

I worry that this turns us into the Packers. And it probably does. We are hoping it can be the Saints. Even Brees contract hamstrung them for a while, but he carried the defense for a while. Now they rebuilt around him through the draft (after years) and they might have a great team again.

But the best case for this approach is either Saints, Packers, or Steelers and none of those teams have made the SB after paying their QB. Maybe this year that changes, but I don't know if expecting a SB from Wilson makes sense. I just want playoff wins - a SB seems like asking more than is reasonable even for me.

justafan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1dlmnc7o said:
semiahmoo":1dlmnc7o said:
Do we pay him the big $$$$ and try and build around him or let him go and gamble on lower cost QB and build even more around that guy? .

That is the 30 million dollar question.

As of right now, I'd be OK with franchising Russell for a year and trying our best to find the next great young QB in the draft.

Bottom line for me, I wouldn't be comfortable trading or letting Russell walk without his replacement on the roster and ready to roll. That's EXACTLY how you become one of the 25 have nots trading away all their draft picks swinging and missing on QB's year after year and going 5-11.

In other words, you don't trade a top 5-10 QB without his replacement on the roster.

Agreed. If you need a QB next year you are behind the curve. I dont mind them picking one every year or two. But i still sign RW next year

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3u08ypkf said:
Seymour":3u08ypkf said:
Sgt. Largent":3u08ypkf said:
Seymour":3u08ypkf said:

So what if Pete stays?

Then we are screwed with a franchise QB that was overpaid to play Peteball. Bring in an offensive mind that all changes again. Russell will outlast Pete no matter what, so keep that in mind.
They aren't going to move on from Russell, so no need to rehash that.

Sorry. Not giving you the answer you want today. :twisted:

Ambrose83

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2f8vaxws said:

There is a screaming, shining difference between "QB A is not elite" or I "I don't know if he is going to be good enough to justify the giant contract", and "I hope they don't sign Wilson for a giant contract".

Because I don't believe he is elite, does not mean I think they need to start over.

The truth is, we probably don't have a choice. Wilson is going to get a giant contract. And it will very likely hamstring the team for years. But we cannot start over with a coach that is literally a few years out the door. So we are going to have the pay the price, then hope against hope that Wilson can be the guy for 4 quarters that he has shown in smaller stretches. And he will need to produce with a thinner defense and much less depth on both D & O.

The option before to switch horses would have only been viable before PA passed - for a number of reasons.

But let's not conflate "I don't think Wilson is Elite" with "I think we need to get rid of Wilson". The opportunity to evaluate Wilson with a different OC has come and passed. Our current OC is producing the high scoring offense I wanted, just with the run game instead of the pass. Now, is Wilson's contribution worth $30M a year? Probably not, esp not now. But there is no other option.

I worry that this turns us into the Packers. And it probably does. We are hoping it can be the Saints. Even Brees contract hamstrung them for a while, but he carried the defense for a while. Now they rebuilt around him through the draft (after years) and they might have a great team again.

But the best case for this approach is either Saints, Packers, or Steelers and none of those teams have made the SB after paying their QB. Maybe this year that changes, but I don't know if expecting a SB from Wilson makes sense. I just want playoff wins - a SB seems like asking more than is reasonable even for me.

What exactly has bress carried them too? 7-9 seasons and no playoffs ?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":4mb312c9 said:

So my outlook is not as dire as yours or others who think we can only win another SB with Russell. To think we can only ever win again with Russell is a fatalistic outlook on the future of our Hawks.

Now here me out on this, don't jump the gun. Give me a chance to sell you on my logic & reasoning here.

I to think Pete can build another great defense, that is why they should pay Wilson.

The Seahawks under-performed these last few years is not because they payed Wilson. They under-performed because of CaBevell. They are back on the rise now because they got rid of that problem. That is a false correlation.

Pete Carroll with a game manager would be a disaster. He needs Wilson. See Tarvaris Jackson. You need a guy who can win in the 4th quarter, and do all of the things Wilson does that wins ball games.

CASE KEENUM 2015-2018

G 37 | 21-16

64.1%
46 TD
29 INT
87.9 Passer Rating (Higher than Newton LOL)

Rushing

3.1 YPC
251 Yards
3 TD

This is what $20M APY will buy you in 2020 if you let Wilson walk to save 7% on the salary cap. Mediocre journeyman game manager. I highly advise to re-think the idea of moving on from Wilson to save a little Salary Cap Space.

-or-

RUSSELL WILSON 2015-2018

58 G | 34-23-1

64.8%
112 TD
35 INT
7.8 YPA
100.6 Rating

Rushing

5.3 YPC
1625 Yards
5 TD

3 Receptions for 3 Yards and a TD.

PFF O-Line Rankings 2015-2018 [[ 30,32,27,19 ]]

IN A BETTER WAY TO PUT IT

Would you rather have Wilson and a $170M to build the rest of your team?

-or-

A Kase Keenum type game manager and a $185M to build the rest of your team?

Carroll can make up the difference quite easily by drafting and developing some young guys on defense. He does it all the time, you can bank on that, that is his history. I have no faith especially in such an old-school offensive system they can hit the lottery again and find another QB. (Still drafting some QBs here and there hoping you get lucky, but you can't bank on it.)

The smart play is to re-sign Wilson, and build a young and hungry defense.

The Seahawks have their own advantage that a lot of these teams with franchise QBs don't have. A defensive genius Head Coach.

The Seahawks can have the best of both worlds. A stud QB, and a top Defense via Pete Carroll.
With Solari now on board to fix the O-Line. This is a logical plan that can win them another championship.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3is35stu said:
austinslater25":3is35stu said:
Sgt. Largent":3is35stu said:
semiahmoo":3is35stu said:
Do we pay him the big $$$$ and try and build around him or let him go and gamble on lower cost QB and build even more around that guy? .

That is the 30 million dollar question.

As of right now, I'd be OK with franchising Russell for a year and trying our best to find the next great young QB in the draft.

Bottom line for me, I wouldn't be comfortable trading or letting Russell walk without his replacement on the roster and ready to roll. That's EXACTLY how you become one of the 25 have nots trading away all their draft picks swinging and missing on QB's year after year and going 5-11.

In other words, you don't trade a top 5-10 QB without his replacement on the roster.

That's why I said find the QB first, then if you're confident that the new QB can replicate most of what Russell can do, you now have opened up that four year window of having an extra 20-30M to spend on other players.

Russell isn't asked to do what Mahomes and Goff have to do, Russell is asked to distribute, hand the ball off and run around and make 3-4 explosive plays a game.........and he does it very well most of the time. That's not the same as these other top 10 QB's that have to carry their teams in order for them to win.

Your concern is legit. Some won't like to hear it because they are all-in on the RW fandom.

I respect Wilson a lot. He comes to play every game and squeezes every bit of talent out of his smallish frame. He does need a legit O-Line and running game or he can't dominate enough to lead us deep into the playoffs. That's just not in him to do it. (To be fair, most QB's couldn't do that either.)

How we keep Russ and give him the O-Line, running game, and defense he needs to lead/manage, whatever us to the playoffs and hopefully another SB appearance is an extremely difficult questions and perhaps one that will be answered (in part) by the guy who replaces Pete.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Tom Brady: 1-st year in NFL - 2000, ---------------19 seasons played, so far.
Aaron Rodgers: 1-st year in NFL - 2005, ----------14 seasons played, so far.
Drew Brees: 1-st year in NFL - 2001 ---------------18 seasons played, so far.
Phillip Rivers: 1-st year in BFL - 2004, -------------15 seasons played, so far.
Ben Roethisberger: 1-st year in NFL - 2004, -----15 seasons played, so far.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--Russell Wilson, 1-st year in NFL - 2012, ----------7 seasons played, so far.

--Wilson currently has 36% to 50% of the total seasons played by the supposed "elite" QB's. Any "elite" QB comparison conclusions should take this into account. A more true apples/to/apples "elite" comparison would be AFTER Wilson has as many years as the others to show his stuff. In the alternative, compare them - at the same points in their careers, that would be more informative.

Also, I'm not worried about giving RW 8-10 million in additional pay, 'cause the salary cap will likely go up 8-10 million a year for the next few years. Elite QB's or even very good QB's don't grow on trees and for me, Wilson is very good, with an very excellent chance to be considered "elite" in the next few years as the "old" guys fade away into the history books (when they're gone, then who is gonna be considered a consensus "elite" QB?)

:smilingalien

semiahmoo

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2jqjr7ij said:

Great points made - much more pertinent to the real choice facing Seattle than the silly "Russ is elite/not elite" the OP attempted to "nail" shut. :roll:

It comes down to balance. We see the team winning with a run-first offense and a surprisingly competent defense. That was how the team was built during the glory years of the Beast and LOB era.

So, do we continue in that direction and if so can we then afford to pay Wilson $30+ million a year? Don't know. Very tough decision for the Front Office coming up...

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":27gsg5vg said:
Speaking of false assumptions Fade.

No, no, no, false correlation. Cabevell dragged the team down. Not paying Wilson. That is what you call a false correlation. Sort of like if you got shoved hard by somebody into a wall, and you blamed the wall. You need to blame the dude that shoved you, not the wall.

The truth is, we probably don't have a choice. Wilson is going to get a giant contract.

Which would you prefer to happen?

-or-

Please choose the one you liken best.

I worry that this turns us into the Packers, Saints.

Another false correlation. Those programs were headed by Offensive Coaches. The difference is Pete is a defensive guy. He can build a defense in his sleep. He just needs the QB, (Wilson), and a run game. (Solari/Schotty.) this has now been fixed. And the team is clearly trending upwards after a slow start.

The Steelers paid Ben, built a defense, the best O-Line in the sport, and a great cast of skills guys. Thank you for inadvertantly admitting you can do both. (Pay your QB, and build a great team around him.) Big Ben hasn't made it back because he is a fraud. His strong supporting cast props him up.

Carroll can make up the difference in $$$$ quite easily by drafting and developing some young guys on defense. He does it all the time, you can bank on that, that is his history. I have no faith especially in such an old-school offensive system they can hit the lottery again and find another QB. (Still drafting some QBs here and there hoping you get lucky, but you can't bank on it.)

The Seahawks have their own advantage that a lot of these teams with franchise QBs don't have. A defensive genius Head Coach.

The Seahawks can have the best of both worlds. A stud QB, and a top Defense via Pete Carroll.
With Solari now on board to fix the O-Line. This is a logical plan that can win them another championship.

mrt144

Reaction score
Fade":1tu46dxs said:
TwistedHusky":1tu46dxs said:
Speaking of false assumptions Fade.

No, no, no, false correlation. Cabevell dragged the team down. Not paying Wilson. That is what you call a false correlation. Sort of like if you got shoved hard by somebody into a wall, and you blamed the wall. You need to blame the dude that shoved you, not the wall.

The truth is, we probably don't have a choice. Wilson is going to get a giant contract.

-or-

I worry that this turns us into the Packers, Saints.

Another false correlation. Those programs were headed by Offensive Coaches. The difference is Pete is a defensive guy. He can build a defense in his sleep. He just needs the QB, (Wilson), and a run game. (Solari/Schotty.) this has now been fixed. And the team is clearly trending upwards after a slow start.

The Steelers paid Ben, built a defense, the best O-Line in the sport, and a great cast of skills guys. Thank you for inadvertantly admitting you can do both. (Pay your QB, and build a great team around him.) Big Ben hasn't made it back because he is a fraud. His strong supporting cast props him up.

Carroll can make up the difference in $$$$ quite easily by drafting and developing some young guys on defense. He does it all the time, you can bank on that, that is his history. I have no faith especially in such an old-school offensive system they can hit the lottery again and find another QB. (Still drafting some QBs here and there hoping you get lucky, but you can't bank on it.)

I've been beating this drum but signing a good QB to a multiyear contract isn't THE thing that sandbags an opportunities with a team - it's literally anything and everything around that. Did RW's 2nd contract cause whiffs in the draft at multiple spots? Did RW's 2nd contract keep Cable employed 2 years too long, at least? Did RW's contract prevent JFG from coming here and sucking eggs for the most part? Joeckle's 9 Million dollar one year boondoggle? Harvin? Cmike's multiple chances? I mean, there is a limit to how much you can explain RW's salary impact the whole of the team.

Yes, a QBs contract is important and worth careful considerations, but to act like our fate was sealed the second we extended RW the first time? Cmon folks, there were so many other misses that add up to far more than the dollar difference between RW's rookie and extended contracts.

QBs are an easy target for ire when the team performs poorly but it isn't as simple as 'keep the QB wages low and flourish everywhere else' or 'pay the QB and lose your ability to flesh out the rest of the team'. There are many moving parts that aren't quite related as closely as one might imagine. No QB salary considerations can excuse or explain poor drafts on any team as just one of many examples.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1n8on3er said:
Your concern is legit. Some won't like to hear it because they are all-in on the RW fandom.

Or they just recognize the difficulty of finding a franchise QB and don't think Wilson has sunk to Teddy Bridgewater levels yet.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2c9hkfi3 said:
semiahmoo":2c9hkfi3 said:

Or they just recognize the difficulty of finding a franchise QB and don't think Wilson has sunk to Teddy Bridgewater levels yet.

No, they see it far better than that.

We didn't need a franchise QB to win a SB. The question is can we do that again or do we stick with a guy who is clearly a very good QB and pay him big $$$$ and try to fit some lower cost pieces around him or take a shot at seeing if lightning will strike twice with a dominant D and run game with a competent QB who we get for much less $$$$.

Very tough call and as of right now no clear answer...

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
semiahmoo":h754kw2i said:
So, do we continue in that direction and if so can we then afford to pay Wilson $30+ million a year? Don't know. Very tough decision for the Front Office coming up...

-or-

Keep in mind Pete has a knack for developing young defensive players on the cheap to makeup the $$$$ difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.