OL v2019 : I am feeling good about our OL

chris98251

Reaction score
That and we for the first time in years have guys that won't be wondering what position they will be playing for a change.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Yeah I agree,I'm just glad the whining about the OL is over..
Can't use Cable,Quality and Quanity anymore as excuses..

John63

Reaction score
We will have to wait to see, its not like from a pass protection perspective it was great, it was at best okay. However again we will need to wait and see, we will have 1 new starter at least, and still at least 1 who has been hurt for some time every season over the last couple. So the answer is we will see.

Seafan

Reaction score
I see the OL as upgraded. Iupati is 35 lbs heavier and graded much higher than Sweezy. He's played LG a lot more than Sweezy. If he stays healthy...

Essentially the OL returns 5/6 with Fant. I see the LG upgraded with Simmons as a strong backup if needed.

Jones is intriguing. It will be interesting to see if he can make a run at starting RT. Strength and depth is the best it's been in a long time.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I am excited to see what a pair of guards that average 6'-5" 335 lbs along with a 6'-5" 322 lb tight end can do with an a run-oriented offense.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
A-Dog":lkq1b1xi said:
I am excited to see what a pair of guards that average 6'-5" 335 lbs along with a 6'-5" 322 lb tight end can do with an a run-oriented offense.

Feeling like our run blocking would be fine unless some smart DCs figured out a way to neutralize our size advantage. Pass blocking is another story altogether. Fluker historically ranked highly on run blocking but not so good on pass blocking, anyone knows of Iupati's pass blocking?

Jville

Reaction score
toffee":27y51ovd said:
A-Dog":27y51ovd said:

Feeling like our run blocking would be fine unless some smart DCs figured out a way to neutralize our size advantage. Pass blocking is another story altogether. Fluker historically ranked highly on run blocking but not so good on pass blocking, anyone knows of Iupati's pass blocking?
The visual movement is going to be slower but more powerful at left guard. The Bo Scarborough signing makes added sense with the addition of Mike Iupati. The pass blocking hysteria, we have all become so very familiar with, may never go away.

There is clearly a healthy difference in expectations for George Fant. Some continue to think of him as a blocking tight end on into 2019. Others anticipate him graduating into a starting tackle role.

It is refreshing to see a clear direction and path for the 2019 Offensive Line.

Exciting times!

daveyoung52

Reaction score
toffee":258k1ero said:
A-Dog":258k1ero said:

Interesting Field Gulls article on Iupati https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/3/16/18 ... e-seahawks includes some passpro against Suh and Donald last season when he was seemingly playing hurt,for what its worth.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
daveyoung52":2yt6zv30 said:
toffee":2yt6zv30 said:
A-Dog":2yt6zv30 said:

Interesting Field Gulls article on Iupati https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/3/16/18 ... e-seahawks includes some passpro against Suh and Donald last season when he was seemingly playing hurt,for what its worth.

feeling optimistic about Iupati.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
toffee":3hiojbo4 said:
daveyoung52":3hiojbo4 said:
toffee":3hiojbo4 said:
A-Dog":3hiojbo4 said:

feeling optimistic about Iupati.
For what my humble opinion is worth, me too !! :irishdrinkers:

Jville

Reaction score
Just a reminder concerning the three posts that have just been deleted.

We do not attack other posters

And, it is very unfriendly to bait others into posting an attack.

Please be civil.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Cable purge will continue, I would be surprised if there were any Cable linemen left on the team by the kickoff of the 2020 season.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
sdog1981":zaj9tg5w said:
The Cable purge will continue, I would be surprised if there were any Cable linemen left on the team by the kickoff of the 2020 season.

So Ifedi, Fant, Britt, Roos, Hunt, Pocic, will all be gone? That would include our starting RT and C?

Fade

Reaction score
I think Jamarco Jones is going to get reps at LG if nothing is found in the Draft. And I won't be surprised if he ends up starting a lot in place of Iupati at that spot.

They need to keep Simmons on the right side because you know Fluker is going to get hurt so he has to be ready to play at RG.

Jones is too talented to just be left to rot behind Dwayne Brown. I think Fant is the backup RT guaranteed at this point.

They usually only keep 9 for the 53.

LT Brown ---- LG Iupati ---- C Britt ---- RG Fluker ---- RT Ifedi

LT/LG Jamarco Jones
RT/LT George Fant w/some TE duties.
C/G-- Joey Hunt
Guard - Jordan Simmons

This is a pretty good crew overall. I love the depth. but it will get scary though if both Iupati & Fluker both get injured which probably will happen at some point.

The only way Pocic makes the team is if Britt or Hunt gets injured and cannot make it back in time for week 1. He is as good as gone. There just isn't room for him especially if they draft an O-Lineman in the 4th round or earlier. He needs injuries to happen at this point if he is to make the team.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Fade":3ta9iruv said:
I think Jamarco Jones is going to get reps at LG if nothing is found in the Draft. And I won't be surprised if he ends up starting a lot in place of Iupati at that spot.

They need to keep Simmons on the right side because you know Fluker is going to get hurt so he has to be ready to play at RG.

Jones is too talented to just be left to rot behind Dwayne Brown. I think Fant is the backup RT guaranteed at this point.

They usually only keep 9 for the 53.

LT Brown ---- LG Iupati ---- C Britt ---- RG Fluker ---- RT Ifedi

LT/LG Jamarco Jones
RT/LT George Fant w/some TE duties.
C/G-- Joey Hunt
Guard - Jordan Simmons

This is a pretty good crew overall. I love the depth. but it will get scary though if both Iupati & Fluker both get injured which probably will happen at some point.

The only way Pocic makes the team is if Britt or Hunt gets injured and cannot make it back in time for week 1. He is as good as gone. There just isn't room for him especially if they draft an O-Lineman in the 4th round or earlier. He needs injuries to happen at this point if he is to make the team.

I like Jamarco Jones, but I felt like Simmons had shown us a lot last season, Jones hadn't. In the event Jones can't come back strong, we only have Fant as backup for both LT and RT, also Simmons as backup for both G spots. Unless Pocic surprises us. That scenario is worrisome.

sdog1981

Reaction score
toffee":1zjom0rm said:
sdog1981":1zjom0rm said:

So Ifedi, Fant, Britt, Roos, Hunt, Pocic, will all be gone? That would include our starting RT and C?

Those are easy players to get rid of. 2 or 3 linemen added this draft/ UDFA period and then another 4 to 5 added in free agency/draft in 2020.

The only one I can see sticking is Pocic as the starting center with Britt getting cut going into the 2020 season. Pocic will only succeed as a center in the NFL. The dirty little secret about centers is they don't block on every pass play so they are not as exposed for their poor pass pro. Britt was hot garbage as a tackle or guard because he had to block every play. Moved to center he is a borderline pro-bowler, Pocic can do the same thing and will be better because he has played center his whole career.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The offensive line, starters:

LT: Duane Brown
LG: Mike Iupati
C: Justin Britt
RG: DJ Fluker
RT: Germain Ifedi

This is a squad! Gonna be top 5 rushing!