Can They Afford top Keep Bobby Wagner?

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":27qx7skt said:
Interesting how there is zero bashing of Bobby for wanting to have a top tier contract. Yet, when Russ did it he was and still is being bashed for it and called "selfish"
Go Hawks
First, Bobby Wagner is the best linebacker and arguably the best defensive player on the planet.

If he really wants Moseley money, he'll get franchised twice. Without that stupid contract, this is probably already done @13-14 APY. But he has every right to want more. He's a better player. Now, the FO has to convince him, not an agent, to take less. Good luck.

Largent80

Reaction score
Screw the Jets for that dumb assed contract. This will never end. Players are simply going to and have said, I want to "beat" that contract.

Wagner deserves to be paid well but dayum, where does it ever end?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Own The West":19f1udzg said:
Yes, they can afford to keep Bobby Wagner.

And yes, Bobby wants Mosley money. I want Mosley money too.

But the market for LBs is Kuechly, not Mosley. I'm sure Bobby realizes that.

My guess is he signs a deal in the $13M/yr range with guaranteed money drying up in year 3.

Kuechly was the market, now it's unfortunately Mosely.

I keep having this argument with people, it doesn't regress, it's next man up. That's how Clark got paid, that's how Russell got paid...........and that's how Bobby's going to get paid.

He's the best MLB in the league, he's not going to settle for making 4-5M less than Mosley. Again, blame the idiot Jets for setting a ridiculous precedent for absolutely no reason other than they're incompetent. But now it is the precedent.

My hope is that Bobby will accept less per year but more guaranteed money than Mosely on a longer deal. MLB's can play well into their mid 30's, so no reason Pete and John should shy away from a 5-6 year deal with more guaranteed money and a longer deal so the per year is more cap friendly.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point, it's really all about the guarantee for many guys, which makes total sense. So often you hear about a huge deal that in the long run ends up not being even close to what the player gets overall. But getting that huge guarantee changes everything.

A-Dog

Reaction score
If the ridiculous Mosley contract didn't happen Bobby would probably already be signed.

It really does throw a monkey wrench in to things.

At this point I would focus on getting Reed signed, and keep the franchise tag open for Bobby. It's a business.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Problem we have is that their are a lot of Stupid GM's on other teams and Owners that will spend money like Kids in a Penny Candy store for players and it affects the rest of the league skewing balance of position they play.

I am sure we budget a certain amount for positions and offense and defense, when you get guys like Clark and Wagner that are competing for the next contract with other players and a GM ups the anti by ten million or so from the previous contracts that ripple effect creates roster chaos through out the league as teams have to shuffle to rebalance and rethink who they can sign and resign again.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think you have to on a shorter term deal- like 3 years. Pay him the top of the market but for a condensed term.

Bobby is too good to let go at 30. Also, he's such a smart LB, those guys age well. Lastly, he's extremely durable thus far in his career.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lukerguy":4em1ties said:
I think you have to on a shorter term deal- like 3 years. Pay him the top of the market but for a condensed term.

Bobby is too good to let go at 30. Also, he's such a smart LB, those guys age well. Lastly, he's extremely durable thus far in his career.

Why would you condense the term when you can spread out the signing bonus and guaranteed amount for 1-2 more years on a 5-6 year deal?

I do think this gets done before the season starts. Bobby is the model for what Pete and John want in a player.

- bought in
- plays his ass off
- never complains
- team leader

IMO it'd be extremely damaging to the culture of Pete's team to allow Bobby to walk or trade him. It undermines literally everything Pete preaches and wants from his players.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt about it. Has always carried himself with class, has never ruffled feathers, total team leader. He has a lot left in the tank. I like the idea of a 4 or 5 year deal where you can spread that bonus out a little. He's the most important player on the D, period. And right up there with Russ as far as importance to the team and leadership. That C on his jersey is there for a reason.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
Okung just jumped offsides for including his name in this conversation.

knownone

Reaction score
This will sound strange, but Bobby is unlikely to get C. J. Mosley's contract on the open market. The guaranteed portion of Mosley's contract will expire before he's the same age as Bobby is right now. Realistically, a smart agent would tell Bobby to take a front-loaded contract that puts him higher than Mosley in the short term with less APY overall.

Fade

Reaction score
They can afford it quite comfortably. They have the most projected 2020 cap space in the NFL.

The actual question should be, is it worth it?

For me I'm still salty over not signing him to a 6 yr extension. These 4 years deals Seattle has done are stupid, and just end up costing you more money. He should still be on the books for 2 more years at $10M per.

I will keep pointing this out every chance I get, as I still can't get over how dumb it is to sign a perennial all-pro in his mid twenties to just a 4 yr extension. The Seahawks do a great job overall managing their cap, but this is the area where they must correct going forward, or this will continue to happen. First Thomas, now Wagner.

Ultimately I would not extend him. I would instead pursue a Jarran Reed 6 yr extension. Then use the Franchise Tag on Wagner next off-season, and look to trade him, or let him play out the season, and get a 3rd round comp pick, which ever value is greater.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I totally get your angst about 4 year deals and agree. However, it takes 2 to come to a deal and perhaps Wagner only wanted to sign for 4 so he could get a bigger shot of guaranteed money.

The negotiations on these deals are rarely publicized so it's hard to fairly comment. 4 seasons ago was when the cap crunch began for the team and it's hard to know if the team wanted to make a longer deal than 4 years with Wagner.

Suspect the team will sign Wagner and franchise Reed but only if he has a good season this year.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Rat":3t4xkmip said:
HawkGA":3t4xkmip said:
I could see doing $17 million a year on just a two year contract.

Why would he agree to that?

To get the $17 million per year, presumably. Make it fully guaranteed. Might be enticing, but if I'm the Seahawks, I'm not risking the salary gap beyond 2, maybe 3 years.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Fade":1klh1juo said:
They can afford it quite comfortably. They have the most projected 2020 cap space in the NFL.

For me I'm still salty over not signing him to a 6 yr extension. These 4 years deals Seattle has done are stupid, and just end up costing you more money. He should still be on the books for 2 more years at $10M per.

I will keep pointing this out every chance I get, as I still can't get over how dumb it is to sign a perennial all-pro in his mid twenties to just a 4 yr extension. The Seahawks do a great job overall managing their cap, but this is the area where they must correct going forward, or this will continue to happen. First Thomas, now Wagner.

Ultimately I would not extend him. I would instead pursue a Jarran Reed 6 yr extension. Then use the Franchise Tag on Wagner next off-season, and look to trade him, or let him play out the season, and get a 3rd round comp pick, which ever value is greater.

I agree with this. I love Bobby but what we did with Clark was Franchise changing move. Bobby could net us multiple picks and save so much. I'm a big BBK believer and Barton may be legit too. I think good LB's can be had so cheap and Bobby may hit a wall or have a major injury any time. He is great but not sure he is Ray Lewis great and KJ who has been almost as good is less than half the price.

I want Bobby to stay but if he wants to be the top MLB at age I will not be mad of JS moves on.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wenhawk":qdffvr2j said:
Fade":qdffvr2j said:

I agree with this. I love Bobby but what we did with Clark was Franchise changing move. Bobby could net us multiple picks and save so much. I'm a big BBK believer and Barton may be legit too. I think good LB's can be had so cheap and Bobby may hit a wall or have a major injury any time. He is great but not sure he is Ray Lewis great and KJ who has been almost as good is less than half the price.

I want Bobby to stay but if he wants to be the top MLB at age I will not be mad of JS moves on.

Wright is a injury away from Retirement at this point, in fact he may not make it thru the season with his re occurring Knee issue. Wagner is at a point I think that he is do to start getting the Dings that players get with a lot of Mileage, we have seen it over and over. Sherman, Kam, Avril, Thomas, Bennett, Wright, Baldwin all that nucleus of a defense and key person on offense. They had a lot of extra playing time with our playoff games. More physical also. That piles up and odds catch up with you.

As a Business you have to hedge your bets on a big contract and longevity. Wagner wants one long because this may be his last one, Team wants short but will pay good dollars I am thinking.