Mebane hamstring injury update - out "a while"

jblaze

Reaction score
Per Carroll, Mebane's injury is "legit" and he'll be out "a while".

That hurts..... He's been playing really well this season.

Says Kevin Williams will get a lot more playing time. Hill, Dobbs and McDaniel will get a lot more work too. Said they don't have to go out and "scour" for DL help, they think they have it in house. Can also use Tukuafu if need be or even Staten if they get desperate.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I'm going to make a wild guess that Mebane will be back by Thanksgiving. And we will all have much to be grateful for.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":q34p5061 said:
I just caught a case of the Blitzers.

Its not that bad once you get used to it.

Losing Mebane is a huge loss, and the combo of him and Bobby out of the middle of our defense is really gonna hurt our run defense. Man this sucks.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":gfa40rfm said:
Sarlacc83":gfa40rfm said:

Losing Mebane is a huge loss, and the combo of him and Bobby out of the middle of our defense is really gonna hurt our run defense. Man this sucks.

We currently have the number 1 run defense in the league (tied for 1st in YPC). Wagner has been out awhile now already. Even if we have a decline, we are still going to be a pretty good run defending team.

I love Mebane and think that he doesn't get enough credit for what he does out there week in and week out, and we are definitely better with him than without him, but I highly doubt the sky will fall if he's out a few weeks.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Kevin Williams signing looking pretty smart right about now...

ivotuk

Reaction score
Who is Dobbs?

Wonder where Michael Brooks and/or Cherrington are these days? They were two very big boys. Not that is matters since we aren't signing anyone.

"Out awhile" usually means 2 to 4 weeks which is probably about right for a hamstring of that size.

DrDix

Reaction score
Injuries just don't stop.

Unfortunate for Mebane too, playing so well.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":13clcxt2 said:
Who is Dobbs?

Wonder where Michael Brooks and/or Cherrington are these days? They were two very big boys. Not that is matters since we aren't signing anyone.

"Out awhile" usually means 2 to 4 weeks which is probably about right for a hamstring of that size.

Dobbs was released by the Niners recently and signed by us.

[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/team/roster/demarcus-dobbs/8c88b3da-8a61-4e77-b553-a00e72325b64/[/urltargetblank]

pehawk

Reaction score
Any estimate of his recovery? Even an irresponsible estimate?

kidhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":518obavj said:

All we'll get now are guesses. Pete said they are evaluating him today and they'll know more later today. I'm guessing someone will ask him for an update on Wednesday

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pehawk":1636khw9 said:

Hamstrings are the worst injury to peg.. they're like high ankle sprains. Could be a couple weeks.. could be 6. You never really know.

Luckily, Mebane isn't a guy that relies on speed a whole lot.. so I would hope he could play through it after sitting out a couple of weeks.

But yeah.. major loss.. especially if Wagner can't return this week

kidhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1yzl0vga said:
Ughhh!!!! Mebane , Wagner , Kam. Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,ok,,,,,,,still not afraid

Kam is due to practice this week so he has a good shot at playing this week.

Laloosh

Reaction score
kidhawk":2wh4gtw5 said:
Blitzer88":2wh4gtw5 said:
Sarlacc83":2wh4gtw5 said:

We currently have the number 1 run defense in the league (tied for 1st in YPC). Wagner has been out awhile now already. Even if we have a decline, we are still going to be a pretty good run defending team.

I love Mebane and think that he doesn't get enough credit for what he does out there week in and week out, and we are definitely better with him than without him, but I highly doubt the sky will fall if he's out a few weeks.

Alternatively it could cost us a game because a depth guy misses a tackle or gets pushed around all game. I hope you're right though.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Hamstring injuries are like groin strains and high ankle sprains.......they tend to LINGER. I'll be very surprised if he's not out at least a month, if not 6+ weeks.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Seahawks probably just lost its most consistent player of the 2014 season and until this last Sunday was making a quiet case for best player on the team. MVP. And he was playing like an All-Pro.

But I'll be optimistic and say this is a survivable injury.

1. The Seahawks have went away from the Red Bryant sized 5-Tech this season, so they still have 4 players to rotate at 2 positions.

2. My guess is they'll rotate McDaniel/Dobbs at 3-Tech and Williams/Hill at NT/1-Tech. I think Williams is a guy who more than can rise up and fill Mebane shoes. The Vikings had K-Will slide over from 3T to NT for his last 2-3 seasons there, where he wasn't as explosive or disruptive when he was in his prime at 3T, he was more than capable at NT, very stout and active, still very good player but without his elite pass rush ability. I think Williams who has been playing in a rotation will able to handle a starting role without a drop off in performance.

3. For me I'm not worried about McDaniel/Hill but if Dobbs/Hill can rise upand step up. But I don't think overall Seattle will lose much in its run defense as long as players are able to fly to the ball and make team tackles. KPL seems like he could be a trump card in this regard with his elite athleticism. If any area I really see a big loss at is the pass-rush, Mebane was vital to the pass-rush, more than he gets credit for... so unless Quinn gets creative, I think the Seahawks suffer more in Pass Rush than the Rush Defense with Mebane out.

But they can manage without Mebane.

Honestly, the best thing for the Defense is for the Offense to continue to be a dominant run first team while getting the passing offense into a groove, while being able to control possession and finish those drives with TDs instead of FGs