Road Game HATE

gulliver

Reaction score
You often hear that the champs get everyone's best shot. Well, that's not just true on the field, apparently; it's also true off.

I went to several Hawks' road games last year, and most this year so far, and there is a night and day difference.

Even though we ended up winning more last year, opposing fans were conciliatory. When we lost, opposing fans still acted in the realm of the expected.

This year, even teams that have nothing to protect this season, and nothing to be proud of--the Rams, for example--are harassing the bajeezus out of us when we drop a game. I went to that game last year and it was nothing like the game a few weeks ago.

I just got back from the KC game, and while I believe KC has pretty good fans generally, they were leading "Seahawks suck" chants all over. Every fan base has knuckleheads, and "Hawks suck" is pretty mild, but we're talking hundreds, maybe thousands, of people spontaneously participating in a cheer that has nothing to do with their own team, but is instead intended to harass us.

If you need more than that, the number of drunk KC knuckleheads yelling very un-Midwestern things--I'm talking drunk chicks screaming about what we can do to their nether-regions (an unwise suggestion)--was very surprising. I had a 30-minute walk back to my accommodations, and the number of vile words screamed at me and my Marshawn Lynch jersey were fairly shocking for KC.

In so many words, KC fans, who are normally great, were basically reduced to ordinary Philly fans, who are rotten to everyone around them.

Why?

Because we won the Super Bowl. Again, you hear that we have a target on our back. Well, it ain't just our players. It's the fans, too. Winning the title has made EVERYONE HATE us. I work in STL, and people are legitimately invested in hating Richard Sherman, for example. Formerly great fans are cheering on Seahawk injuries.

I guess the silver lining is, though they can scream nonsense about how we "suck," these wins are SO important to them. The last 15 minutes of clock @ KC were filled with Chiefs fans taunting and harassing us and saying we're garbage etc., but for anyone who was there... that stadium was rocking with the Tomahawk chant for 45 minutes after the game, and I had people literally following me to harass me and rub my nose in it in the parking lot. This game WAS THE CHIEFS' SUPER BOWL. This game was SO important to them.

I don't expect people to keep the hate to themselves, but I guess my point is that there is such a drastic difference between last year and this one. Folks, every other fan base has puked their guts out listening to Seahawks love and hearing how great we are and watching us blast the Donkeys in the Owl... every game this year is their chance to figuratively--or in some cases literally--punch us in the face.

Just wish we wouldn't give them the satisfaction of getting the win.... sigh.

Latest posts