What do we know 49ers Rivalry Week Edition...

pehawk

Reaction score
While it’d be cool to get some real football and X’s and O’s talk in here, its still a rivalry we’re talking about. This is the two times a year our 49er members poke their heads out of Largent80’s “The 49ers Suck” forum and show all of us how little they actually know about the NFL. I'd love to hear some of the match-ups they're keying on.

But, here's my smackish two cents...

Always being secure with my intellect and “size” (incorrectly), I’ve never been the type that worked out. Even though I played sports and football my entire life, I never joined the others in the gym. Naturally though, most of my friends we’re devout gym rats.

One of my closest friends got heavily involved into power lifting and through him I became friends with a lot of power lifters and meatheads. One thing that always struck me was the disdain the true “lifters” had for bodybuilders. Bodybuilders being the type who tanned and shaved their chest. Bodybuilders weren’t just annoyance to them, they we’re phony douchebags creeping out others at the gym. I recall countless times where one of my friends would verbally emasculate a bodybuilder type in front of others. They went out of their way to berate and humiliate these guys.

At first I was shocked by the behavior. When I looked at the bodybuilders, I saw huge dudes that it’d seem wise to steer clear of. But, none of my friends ever thought twice about it. They showed me those dudes are fake tough guys and nothing to be fearful of (if it ever came down to a physical confrontation). I learned they’re bulk is just a façade, it’s all fluff, for show, it doesn’t equate to real strength.

And, that’s the analogy I think best describes the 49ers; phony tough guys. The 49ers are the smooth, tan, body builder types (hot though) that are all façade. And the Seahawks are the dudes who just want to get stronger and resent the posery of the 49ers. On the surface the 49ers are just as “Faster, Bigger, Stronger” as the Seahawks…but they aren’t when it comes down to it, huh?

On the field, I honestly have no idea what to expect from the 49ers. Their offense has been dreadful and that once epic oline gets criticized a lot. The defense still seems to be getting low scores, but it doesn't feel the same.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like a few legit tough guys on that team, like Boldin. But Crabs, and Vernon? With their season in the balance last year, they shortarmed passes because they didn't want to get hit. Which had to make Boldin cry like a Native that just saw littering.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Scottemojo":6jr0u5pr said:
lucky49":6jr0u5pr said:
more like the seattle lame-hawks
No, your head is a candy coated shell.

....that we are gonna set up with the chica that loves Chocolate.... LOL :shock:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The 49ers are down Bowman and Willis, but have Aldon back now and Chris Borland is Zach Thomas 2.0 (If you're not old enough to remember how good Zach Thomas was in his prime.. just understand that he was a monster)

Offensively, the 49ers rival us in that their offensive coordinator could be hit by a bus today and most of the fan base would be optimistic. Greg Roman has been mind numbingly bad at play-calling for large aspects of the game (see Bevell, Darrell) .. and at the crux of it, they are at their best when Roman remembers to run the offense through Frank Gore and Carlos Hyde.

(Sound familiar?)

Their secondary is still vulnerable, but Bethea is a major improvement over Whitner in coverage. Reid is still a fantastic safety. Their corners however are very average.. Culliver/Brock/Cox (WT3's replacement for a few weeks last year) are all capable of being beat.. even by these WR's.

IMO - the team that runs the ball better than the other will win this game. Frank Gore has always been a thorn in our ass.. and that's not changing Thursday. If we stop Gore and run the ball well, we win.

Rocket

Reaction score
I hope this one is not representative of the decline of the Ninnie Fan™.
They've fallen so far, so fast. I blame Tatoo.

bigwrm

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1nk4s7mm said:
The 49ers are down Bowman and Willis, but have Aldon back now and Chris Borland is Zach Thomas 2.0 (If you're not old enough to remember how good Zach Thomas was in his prime.. just understand that he was a monster)

Offensively, the 49ers rival us in that their offensive coordinator could be hit by a bus today and most of the fan base would be optimistic. Greg Roman has been mind numbingly bad at play-calling for large aspects of the game (see Bevell, Darrell) .. and at the crux of it, they are at their best when Roman remembers to run the offense through Frank Gore and Carlos Hyde.

(Sound familiar?)

Their secondary is still vulnerable, but Bethea is a major improvement over Whitner in coverage. Reid is still a fantastic safety. Their corners however are very average.. Culliver/Brock/Cox (WT3's replacement for a few weeks last year) are all capable of being beat.. even by these WR's.

IMO - the team that runs the ball better than the other will win this game. Frank Gore has always been a thorn in our ass.. and that's not changing Thursday. If we stop Gore and run the ball well, we win.

I agree with most of this, although Cox has actually been a big surprise and played really well this year. On the other hand, I'm not scared of Gore at all. He seems to finally be slowing down. It's Hyde that we need to be worried about, although he's been a little inconsistent which isn't surprising for a rookie.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
I anxious to see match ups with Borland and Lynch (your Lynch), also would like to see Stevie Johnson and Sherman match up.

I think both our offenses are sub par this year, going to be a battle of the D, I think the team that can maintain possession the longest therefore wearing down the opposing D will win in it in a late low scoring game. If we break a combined score of 30 I will be shocked.

I also think and really hope Roman has been holding back on the plays just doing enough to get by, knowing that these last games are a lot of important divisional games. Either that or we will play like yesterday and he's a dumb**s.

Should be one of the better games this year.

Canuck49

Reaction score
Our line has been really inconsistent this year and Anthony Davis is still recovering from a concussion. That means John Martin at right tackle. That worries me on obvious passing downs,

I'm also worried about our nose tackles being out and making that middle soft for Lynch.

I think with Aldon back and the emergence of Aaron Lynch we will be able to get pressure on Wilson. Also, don't get too down on the corners, they have played well as a position group this year. I'm more worried about shots down the seam and the tight ends off play action. Borland is playing great. But Willis and bowman were great in coverage. There's been a drop off there. It's just damn hard to replace two all pro middle linebackers

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
lucky49":1wddhro8 said:
more like the seattle lame-hawks

That's the best you can do? LOL

Ryan, this community has missed you. Love it.

NorCal

Reaction score
I agree with Hass. I've always thought that these games are largely determined on who runs the ball the most effectively. But with both teams having schizoprenic OCs, who knows what we see. As for the 9ers offense, I wonder if they will let Kap run this game. It has been clear to me that they have drilled into him to keep his eyes downfield and not just to take off. Maybe this is the game he just goes for it early with this legs (kind of like in the NFCCG). V. Davis has been a shell of himself, so it may come down to Boldin and S. Johnson as the WRs who need to come through with a couple of plays.

I also am interested in the Borland v. Lynch matchup. Hopefully its not just those two the whole game as that will mean the 9ers' D line is not getting off blocks. I hope Dorsey can play this week. Outside of the run game, the key for the 9ers will be to get pressure but not break contain. Easier said then done with Wilson. I do expect Aldon Smith and Aaron Lynch to get some good pressure from the outside, but can't let Wilson escape too often. The 9ers secondary has played very well this year. The biggest surprise is Perrish Cox. He has played much much better than I expected. Bethea has been a coup as well. I think they match up well with SEA WRs. But a DB can only stay with a WR for so long, which is where that containment of Wilson comes into play.

Should be a fun and terribly nervous game to watch. I expect it to be low scoring and close. Whichever team loses this game has to run the table I think.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
What do we know??
We know that Kam Chancellor is looking to de-cleat someone. Hopefully its Crabtree's turn this game.
We know that if Frank Gore takes too many more hits to the top of his helmet, his homo erectus eyebrows will be touching his cheek bones.
We know that Kapershmuck will have another "Beast like" post game press conference: "No", "Yeah", "Maybe", "No Juice".
We know that we'll all finally have a bunch of great new Harbaugh meme's come Friday morning...

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Here's an interesting little tidbit for you guys ...

I posed this question to some fellow Hawks fans regarding this upcoming game (prior to the end of the 49ers game yesterday). And that was, "Would you rather have the 49ers Win that game against Washington ... or Lose?" Personally, I said that given the circumstances I'd rather have faced the Niners this Thursday coming off of a win rather than a loss and I cited the fact that I knew Harbaugh's record following losses is pretty good.

In fact, it's very good. In the Harbaugh era, the 49ers are 9-4 in games following a loss. Under Harbaugh, those guys very rarely lose back to back games. Now, to be completely fair I should also point out that 2 of those 2 game losing streaks have come this year ...

2014 SF 49ers Schedule ...

Week 2 (Home vs. Bears) -- 28-20 Loss
Week 3 (Road vs. Cardinals) -- 23-14 Loss

Week 7 (Road vs. Broncos) -- 42-17 Loss
BYE
Week 9 (Home vs. Rams) -- 13-10 Loss

You guys realize the last time we beat the 49ers in their place? You have to go back to October 26th [Week 8] of the 2008 Season (under the Singletary regime). So, Harbaugh has never lost in their place vs. us ... and subsequently Carroll has not won there as coach of the Hawks. Is this the week that streak ends?

It's going to be rock-em-sock-em robots as always on Thursday ... but I've got a good feeling about this one. Hopefully we're the ones that'll be pulling the wishbone on Turkey Day and having a very Happy Thanksgiving.