Marshawn Lynch Media Presence Oddity

Will Marshawn Be Back Next Year for the Seahawks?

• Yes

Votes: 59 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • ----------------

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • I hope So

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • I hope Not

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
This has been hashed out quite a bit in the media recently but I am still very confused by Marshawn. Over the past year and a half I have seen a massive change in his personality, very apparent by his lack of media presence. Let me first start by saying that Marshawn is my favorite player and has been the entire time he has been on the Seahawks andI don't berate him for wanting privacy or his decision to interact with the media as little as possible. I have no qualms about Marshawn making this choice but I am very confused by it.

When Lynch was drafted in 2007 by the Buffalo Bills he was an outwardly go happy go lucky dude. There are countless videos of Marshawn on youtube where he is jovial, energetic, responsive and even goofy to the media. When he was traded to the Hawks his outgoing personality was still present. This was apparent with pre-season sideline interviews, postgame jokes with Tony Ventrella about USA Sports Columnist Jon Saraceno being the father of QB Charlie Whitehurst [youtube]YmZ7LVJ6rk4[/youtube]. There are many similar videos like this of Marshawn being the Marshawn we grew to love.

Over the Past year and a half however, we have all noticed a stark shift from a fun and jovial Marshawn Lynch to a private and unapproachable personality. We started to notice this shift around the middle of last season during episodes of the Real Rob Report filmed by Michael Robinson. I highly doubt that Marshawn's new found aversion to the media stemmed from the Real Rob Report but it definitely highlighted the progression. Since last year, Lynch's media aversion has been cultivated from a minor thing into something that is obviously affecting the team. The issue is not simply Marshawn not wanting to talk to the media (because we as fans do not really mind that) but the overall negative energy that has become Marshawn Lynch. It seems as though this whole situation has made Marshawn very negative towards the Seahawks and his spot here in Seattle. I understand that some of the tension stems from his semi-failed contract renegotiation over the off- season but I don't know what he was expecting... The Seahawks to redo his, and only his contract because he wants more money?? That would set a terrible standard that the Seahawks would not be able to control if other players tried the same.

Due to his "off the field" decline in the past year and a half I wonder if something happened to him that we have not heard about. Maybe something happened in his personal life that drove him to solidarity and privacy. Whatever the reason it is hard to see my favorite player drawing such negativity. Whatever the reason for his change it must be something significant. I respect his decision not to interact with the media but the manor in which he is doing so makes everyone look bad. I was embarrassed to watch the interview a few weeks ago where he answered honest questions with "Yeah", "No Juice", "I don't know" and "Maybe"... I think the way he is dealing with this whole situation is making things worse for him, the team and the organization by drawing unnecessary attention to a subject that is really not a big deal in the first place.

All this being said, I absolutely love what Marshawn is doing on the field... Can't argue with how he is playing and the effort he produces on the field... nobody plays with more heart... I don't mind if he doesn't talk to the media often at all but when he does I wish he would do so in a more professional and respectable way that doesn't create the drama he is trying to avoid.

This Video Perfectly Depicts Marshawn Lynch Before his issues with the Media.... The Marshawn We All Grew to Love in Seattle...

[youtube]rWLP2cOxXEM[/youtube]

-- I would like to hear everyones thoughts on the situation. Why do you think Marshawn is has changed so much over the past year plus? --

-Freshly

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I voted for that dash, that's my ish.

Rocket

Reaction score
Two things.
First, he seems cool in one on one situations, but not with 30 microphones and recorders slammed in his face
Two, he said in an interview that, essentially, he doesn't do second chances. Burn him once and it's F 'em.

Seems to fit.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
He was potentially a bit too free-flowing in the RRR sessions, and perhaps he was taken aside by the team/his agent/the league after that point and told to be careful. Some of the RRRs after the silence reference this (~ "Oh, you're not talking to me, now?"). Either he felt threatened at that point or at some point around then. The domestic media may now be one big cabal in his eyes, and it shouldn't be hard to see where he's coming from.

Simultaneously, we've also seen Marshawn give open interviews to foreign media members and a few fleeting ultra-controlled domestic features; perhaps he doesn't feel threatened in those situations.

I have no problem with a man attempting to protect himself from slander/rumors by simply clamming up. It's a responsible thing to do instead of Leon-Letting your way into a conversation.

[youtube]TrU8z4w8T-4[/youtube]

Nevertheless, the NFL mandates media sessions for "star athletes." They prefer marketing and hot quotes over privacy and silence. It's unfortunate.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
If you go back in the 2012 episodes of RRR, you'll find Lynch refusing to speak/appear on camera all through it (I only did a brief review and found him ducking the camera in Week 3). So I would argue that this isn't a middle of 2013 thing. I think it could possibly go back to his DUI arrest in July before the 2012 season. Obviously, it's speculation, but it could be that Lynch didn't like the way that situation played out and how it was reported... it was a story that was pretty heavily covered, and it took away from the work he had been doing for his charity that day.

Honestly, I think sports media is mostly useless, and I don't have them in my face all the time like Lynch does. I can't even imagine what he thinks of them.

netskier

Reaction score
Cumulative head hits could be contributing as a cofactor too. Marshawn should view some film of the spectacularly verbal young Cassius Clay, and compare it to that of the the older, and much more punched, Mohamed Ali, who has verbal dementia.

Head impacts damage the brain, and personality is a brain property.

I am sure there are lots of things that might be going on, and this is another one to consider.

MoneyLynch24

Reaction score
Rocket":3p6yzi02 said:
Two things.
First, he seems cool in one on one situations, but not with 30 microphones and recorders slammed in his face
Two, he said in an interview that, essentially, he doesn't do second chances. Burn him once and it's F 'em.

Seems to fit.

This.

The one thing I think we all know about Marshawn is he's loyal, almost to a fault. As the OP showed, Marshawn once was open, candid, goofy, and that's exactly who he is. I had season tickets at Cal during his whole college career and he was the same. He rode around in golf carts, danced with cheerleaders, and just liked to have fun - Beastmode likes to do what Beastmode likes to do. He would be in the dorms at Cal eating pizza with no shirt on getting his dreads twisted lol. I think Marshawn has always had this certain feeling towards authoritative figures, and how certain rules or restrictions interfere with what he wants to do or how he likes to do things. I'm also from Oakland so maybe it just makes a little more sense to me, I guess I just understand his attitude.

He used to be the same funny, goofy, and somewhat shy guy that likes to make fun of serious situations, he's always done that. I think maybe someone pulled him aside during those Real Rob Reports and maybe offered some friendly advice. Maybe something along the lines of "Marshawn you've become a brand now and you probably shouldn't do XYZ anymore... blah blah blah"

Since he's come into the league he's had to learn a lot of things the hard way, from off-field behavior to training. I honestly think Marshawn got by the first few years of his career in Buffalo on pure "God given talent" - his younger brothers and uncles are all built the same- like an NFL running back. He was overweight at one point and unfocused, just think if he remained in Buffalo. I think him coming to Seattle was the best thing that happened to his career. He's done some silly things. some were probably just harmless jokes while others were a bit more serious, but I think this was before he realized the animal the media is.

I think it all comes down to loyalty and him being misquoted and having a bad relationship with the media. Plus his "IDGAF" attitude has no off-switch (which is great on the field). There's two sides to the beast, he's a caring guy who does TONS of charitable stuff back here in Oakland. He gives out free turkeys every year, pumped thousands of dollars into his old high school, Oakland Technical High School for a new field and jerseys, ect. But the other side of the beast comes out when he shuts down, then he really doesn't care about what anyone thinks.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions/observations. I just think he is tired of trying to portray himself in a different way for the media, because that goes against everything he stands for, he's just a very proud person. So instead of putting on some media front like most of these stale suit-n-tie franchise quarterbacks who all stick to the script, he'd rather just be the Beast and not speak at all.

- aaaaaand that's my rant lol

bigwrm

Reaction score
MoneyLynch24":sgul3bwr said:
Rocket":sgul3bwr said:
Two things.

Seems to fit.

This.

The one thing I think we all know about Marshawn is he's loyal, almost to a fault. As the OP showed, Marshawn once was open, candid, goofy, and that's exactly who he is. I had season tickets at Cal during his whole college career and he was the same. He rode around in golf carts, danced with cheerleaders, and just liked to have fun - Beastmode likes to do what Beastmode likes to do. He would be in the dorms at Cal eating pizza with no shirt on getting his dreads twisted lol. I think Marshawn has always had this certain feeling towards authoritative figures, and how certain rules or restrictions interfere with what he wants to do or how he likes to do things. I'm also from Oakland so maybe it just makes a little more sense to me, I guess I just understand his attitude.

He used to be the same funny, goofy, and somewhat shy guy that likes to make fun of serious situations, he's always done that. I think maybe someone pulled him aside during those Real Rob Reports and maybe offered some friendly advice. Maybe something along the lines of "Marshawn you've become a brand now and you probably shouldn't do XYZ anymore... blah blah blah"

Since he's come into the league he's had to learn a lot of things the hard way, from off-field behavior to training. I honestly think Marshawn got by the first few years of his career in Buffalo on pure "God given talent" - his younger brothers and uncles are all built the same- like an NFL running back. He was overweight at one point and unfocused, just think if he remained in Buffalo. I think him coming to Seattle was the best thing that happened to his career. He's done some silly things. some were probably just harmless jokes while others were a bit more serious, but I think this was before he realized the animal the media is.

I think it all comes down to loyalty and him being misquoted and having a bad relationship with the media. Plus his "IDGAF" attitude has no off-switch (which is great on the field). There's two sides to the beast, he's a caring guy who does TONS of charitable stuff back here in Oakland. He gives out free turkeys every year, pumped thousands of dollars into his old high school, Oakland Technical High School for a new field and jerseys, ect. But the other side of the beast comes out when he shuts down, then he really doesn't care about what anyone thinks.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions/observations. I just think he is tired of trying to portray himself in a different way for the media, because that goes against everything he stands for, he's just a very proud person. So instead of putting on some media front like most of these stale suit-n-tie franchise quarterbacks who all stick to the script, he'd rather just be the Beast and not speak at all.

- aaaaaand that's my rant lol

Pretty much. People need to stop diagnosing him from their computers as having an "anxiety disorder" just because he doesn't talk to the media anymore.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
FreshlySnipes":v4kpqnbt said:
"Yeah", "No Juice", "I don't know" and "Maybe"... I think the way he is dealing with this whole situation is making things worse for him
I agree with this. But since I don't walk in his shoes or deal with anything he has to deal with, I can't pretend to judge him for it.

I do think the media as a whole is piling on. In that interview, you could hear the questions get harsher and come more rapid-fire -- it's what happens when reporters knows they're not going to get an answer, so they ask a question just to make a point of asking a question, and to get it on record that they asked. On the receiving end, the questions stop feeling like questions and start feeling like rocks.

To the greater point of Marshawn's lack of happiness or negative energy, that's one of those things where I'm happy to admit I know I don't know. Since pretty much everything I know about Marshawn is filtered through the media, and I know the media in general is antagonistic toward Marshawn because he won't play by their rules, I'm pretty sure I can't trust any information that isn't an actual fact. That means I don't trust any reporter's inside sources, and I certainly don't trust any analyst connecting the dots.

To put in another way, if a particular report starts with Marshawn said this or Marshawn did that, I'm ok with it. If it starts with Marshawn thinks or feels or believes, I'm taking it with a big ol' bucket of salt.

HawkerD

Reaction score
volsunghawk":uf81w8o0 said:
If you go back in the 2012 episodes of RRR, you'll find Lynch refusing to speak/appear on camera all through it (I only did a brief review and found him ducking the camera in Week 3). So I would argue that this isn't a middle of 2013 thing. I think it could possibly go back to his DUI arrest in July before the 2012 season. Obviously, it's speculation, but it could be that Lynch didn't like the way that situation played out and how it was reported... it was a story that was pretty heavily covered, and it took away from the work he had been doing for his charity that day.

Honestly, I think sports media is mostly useless, and I don't have them in my face all the time like Lynch does. I can't even imagine what he thinks of them.

This is exactly when things changed. :th2thumbs:

HawkWow

Reaction score
Marshawn's a football player, he's not your girlfriend. If he doesn't want to talk, it's likely not because of something you did. I wouldn't worry so much about it.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
He doesnt want to end up like Princess Di. Hounded every second of every day by the paparazzi and overzealous fans. Just look at the onslaught he is facing right now with all the rumours about him leaving. Real or imagined the "Press" (Paparazzi!) have cooked up this story and won't let it rest until it becomes self fulfilling then they can say I told you so. Last year it was the girlfriend/baby story or the DUI. John Clayton was damn near ready to form a Linch Mob (no pun!) after the press day at the superbowl. The man has become jaded by it and its pretty obvious he has had enough.

pmedic920

Reaction score
If you look at the age of ML during the time period we are talking about. That is one of the times that a lot of people TRULY start growing up and figuring out who they really are. For me it was much later, mid to late 30s. I think it's a combination of many things, including a natural growth process.
Unless somebody here knows him on a personal level, all we can do is speculate and I'm not sure that is a fair thing for us to do. Are we going to do it? Sure we are but we should try to be cognizant of the the fact that there is much we don't know.
Like I already said, I think the things that make ML who he is, past, present, and future are many and varied, just like us. We are all a product of our environment, and we evolve as our environment changes.
I love me some Marshawn Lynch/BeastMode.
IMHO it will be a sad day when he no longer plays football as a SeaHawk. I hope when that day comes it's because he is no longer playing football.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":3mzqiye5 said:
He doesnt want to end up like Princess Di. Hounded every second of every day by the paparazzi and overzealous fans. Just look at the onslaught he is facing right now with all the rumours about him leaving. Real or imagined the "Press" (Paparazzi!) have cooked up this story and won't let it rest until it becomes self fulfilling then they can say I told you so. Last year it was the girlfriend/baby story or the DUI. John Clayton was damn near ready to form a Linch Mob (no pun!) after the press day at the superbowl. The man has become jaded by it and its pretty obvious he has had enough.

I think the sympathy for Marshawn is way over blown.

Dude might have some social anxiety when it's Super Bowl row with 50 press agents all shoving mics in his face. But when it's just a couple local reporters asking him questions after a normal game? I don't buy it.

We all work, and we all have parts of our jobs we don't like doing. But we do it right? Lynch makes a LOT of money for playing football, so it's hard for me to sympathize with a guy who just doesn't want to do a very small part of his job.

kearly

Reaction score
If my understanding is correct, Lynch's back issue is related to the shock absorbing material between his spinal discs. Stuff that doesn't grow back. This kind of wear isn't something that can be fixed, and with Lynch leaving just about every game now to have people work on his back, I wonder how he'll ever make it through next season.

I think he probably retires after this year, especially if Seattle ends up as back to back champs. I could care less about the rumors, but Lynch has life after football to consider, and Seattle won't want to entrust their franchise to a guy who's back might crap out at any moment.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Rocket":du8hqs4f said:
Two things.

Seems to fit.

But who's burned him in Seattle?

All the local media do is sing his praises. I can't recall one negative media story generated by the press in Seattle. And yet it's in Seattle that he's suddenly changed.

As for the 30 microphones thing -- sure looked like a few microphones in his face during the Charlie Whitehurst video.

I really wish he'd go back to that. What an engaging person. Would love to see more of that personality because it's clear he's a cool guy. As a fan I want to get to know Lynch because he's pretty much everyone's favorite player on the field. Let the guard down big fella.

chet380

Reaction score
ENGLISHhawk --

"But who's burned him in Seattle?"

Pencil-neck backstabbing whiner Clayton during and following Super Bowl Week.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I love Marsh. I want to hang out with him. Sorry my contribution to this conversation sucks