Irvin in the last 2 games...

cdallan

Reaction score
..apparently played every single defensive snap (per Bill Barnwell at Grantland). Every snap in 2 consecutive games. If you weren't convinced on how versatile he was and could be used in every different situation, you should be.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
One of Hill's sacks the last game was directly because of his pass rush and obviously he got a sack himself as well. Irvin has been killing it and is playing SLB better than any Hawk since Chad Brown overall (Peterson was strictly a pass rusher with no LB skills and Wright wasn't a big play guy at any point playing that position).

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Conversely, Malcom Smith has not played a snap on D in something like 4 games

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Dude has played will. Very happy with his play as of late. a Sack a pass batted down and at least 2 tackles that I can remember

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Bruce is second on the team with 5.5 sacks just behind Michael Bennett, who has 6. For someone who's not called on to exclusive provide pass rush...that's terrific. Cliff Avril who's primary duty is to provide pass rush, has 4.5 sacks. Not knocking Avril, just stating how well Irvin has been playing this season. Plus he's got a pick 6. Just doing what he's asked to do.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":17n4w7kl said:
Conversely, Malcom Smith has not played a snap on D in something like 4 games

Super Bowl MVP riding the pine. That's a crazy good defense.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I'm happy to see Irvin doing well, He's fun to watch.

I love our 3 Lber's, they are all playing pretty well. Happy to see ALL 3 get sacks yesterday.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Who? The announcers didn't mention his name enough for me to notice. But seriously, the first half we had like zero pressure. When I was paying attention I saw Irvin with 1 sack, 1 pressure and 1 tackle. I'm sure I missed a few things.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2krkj1cf said:
Bruce is second on the team with 5.5 sacks just behind Michael Bennett, who has 6. For someone who's not called on to exclusive provide pass rush...that's terrific. Cliff Avril who's primary duty is to provide pass rush, has 4.5 sacks. Not knocking Avril, just stating how well Irvin has been playing this season. Plus he's got a pick 6. Just doing what he's asked to do.

Dang I forgot about that pick 6. That was such a beautiful play.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkFan72":282mysu8 said:
We've said it 100 times, but he's playing great this year.

Well I'm going to thump my chest on this one. I defended Irvin a lot this year, and my prediction was that Irvin would be our best LBer in 2 years. He might not be better than Bobby, who is playing even better than last year, so I might be wrong there, but thing about it: this is only Irvin's 2nd year playing LBer in his ENTIRE playing career. Imagine the ceiling on this kid.

And it has to be said 100 times, to counteract the 500 times people have claimed he was overdrafted and should be cut. Funny, I don't see anyone fessing up to claiming that now.

Ruminator

Reaction score
He looks a bit psycho with that bone colored pacifier, err, teeth guard he wears. Maybe that's a good thing.

themunn

Reaction score
SeaChase":dm286h17 said:
Who? The announcers didn't mention his name enough for me to notice. But seriously, the first half we had like zero pressure. When I was paying attention I saw Irvin with 1 sack, 1 pressure and 1 tackle. I'm sure I missed a few things.

Really? I think the announcers spoke more about Irvin than any player on D other than Wagner. He was everywhere on Sunday

Largent80

Reaction score
When hes in his crouch he reminds me of one of those jumping spiders getting ready to spring.

SeaChase

Reaction score
themunn":78kxh7yj said:
SeaChase":78kxh7yj said:

Really? I think the announcers spoke more about Irvin than any player on D other than Wagner. He was everywhere on Sunday

I didn't see the same. Because of a little conversation on here I paid a bit more attention to Irvin. For him playing every down, I didn't see a hole lot from him especially in the first half. I seen 1 tackle, 1 pressure, and the sack that came with 3 minutes left in the game. I think he's better as a situational pass rusher but I don't think we have that luxury at the moment.

I also missed about half of the first quarter.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SeaChase":2kng2t1x said:
themunn":2kng2t1x said:
SeaChase":2kng2t1x said:

I didn't see the same. Because of a little conversation on here I paid a bit more attention to Irvin. For him playing every down, I didn't see a hole lot from him especially in the first half. I seen 1 tackle, 1 pressure, and the sack that came with 3 minutes left in the game. I think he's better as a situational pass rusher but I don't think we have that luxury at the moment.

You obviously see only what you want to see. What's your beef with Irvin anyways?

themunn

Reaction score
SeaChase":137v4s1e said:
themunn":137v4s1e said:
SeaChase":137v4s1e said:

Well given he finished with 5 solo tackles and a sack, that sounds like you missed 2/3s of what he was doing.
It was Irvin's pressure that got Hill his first sack (3rd down just before 2 minute warning in first half), his pressure on Hill's second sack also pushed Staley so far back that Kaepernick couldn't escape the pocket (3rd down again). And of course, the sack of his own for an 8 yard loss on 2nd and 10 with four minutes left (plenty of time to score the 10 points that SF needed to take the game to OT).

What exactly do you expect him to do on a game by game basis - particularly against the fastest QB in the league?

SeaChase

Reaction score
At least the same production as an old Chris Clemmons.

themunn

Reaction score
SeaChase":14t2ql8a said:
At least the same production as an old Chris Clemmons.

They play in different positions
If you want to compare Irvin's play now to when Clemons was a no-name OLB for 6 years without a single NFL start until his move to the Seahawks then be my guest.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I think another thing Irvin was asked to spy in this game and other games as well. He also has done a very good job of setting an edge this year and staying gap fundemental. So some his play has created opportunities for others. I think he has had a tremendous year and should get better.