If you didn't think the NFL Exec OTY award was a farce...

Hawks46

Reaction score
Of course. The NFL has been dying to get the Cowboys back to relevance.

Not surprising at all. What's surprising is that he can get that award after single handedly driving that franchise into the dirt for the last 10 years.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3rskjxqy said:
Maybe now you will.

John Schneider once again does not win...

Honestly, though, what did Schneider do THIS YEAR to earn the award?

I'll sign any petition that retroactively awards the Executive of the Year to Schneider in 2012 (for that unreal draft class) and 2013 (for his savvy in bringing in Bennett/Avril on sweetheart deals).

But 2014? The Harvin headache highlighted a huge miss by our front office, and the return we got for him illustrated how hamstrung the Hawks were by the contract they gave him (if his contract had been more team-friendly, we might have had more suitors for Harvin). In any season that you can turn a 1st, 3rd, and 7th rounder into a conditional 4th at best, you're not going to win any awards.

Don't get me wrong. Kudos to Schneider for acting quickly to get rid of a team cancer and to use the cap savings to extend Avril and Wright. But I don't think that fully eliminates the bad taste that the Harvin era left.

ManBunts

Reaction score
I can't argue with the Jones pick. He grabbed some key players in free agency, and that O-line he's been building has finally come to fruition.

Besides, Schneider got the only award that really matters.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Let's look at what Schneider DID do:

Extended Sherman
Extended Earl
Extended Avril
Traded Harvin
Extended Baldwin
Extended Wright
Team is back in NFC champ game
#1 seed NFC

Feel free to add whatever I'm missing. What exactly did Jerrah do to earn this?

FargoHawk

Reaction score
gonzhawk":1qsthnfn said:
Burley trade
Moeki
Paul richardson
Britt starting G on #1 rush O

Agreed on all except Richardson. While I really like him, the fact that this WR class has been so impressive and multiple guys drafted AFTER PRich have had a bigger impact: Jarvis Landry, Martavious Bryant, Davante Adams I think we could have had better.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
volsunghawk":28gn49ow said:
Hasselbeck":28gn49ow said:
Maybe now you will.

I'll sign any petition that retroactively awards the Executive of the Year to Schneider in 2012 (for that unreal draft class) and 2013 (for his savvy in bringing in Bennett/Avril on sweetheart deals).

But 2014? The Harvin headache highlighted a huge miss by our front office, and the return we got for him illustrated how hamstrung the Hawks were by the contract they gave him (if his contract had been more team-friendly, we might have had more suitors for Harvin). In any season that you can turn a 1st, 3rd, and 7th rounder into a conditional 4th at best, you're not going to win any awards.

Don't get me wrong. Kudos to Schneider for acting quickly to get rid of a team cancer and to use the cap savings to extend Avril and Wright. But I don't think that fully eliminates the bad taste that the Harvin era left.
I agree with this. Schneider earned it twice, but was overlooked. This year I don't know who should have it, but Jerry? What!

I would vote for Pete. If I could. He deserves coach of the year.

Also the Colts got the WR I wanted the hawks to pick in the third round. I embraced P rich, but I wanted Donte Moncreif before the draft.

eastcoast12

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1uefiywc said:

I might argue that cutting him loose, in the long run for the organization, and short-term for this year, was a OTY move. Yes, he was the reason PH was here, and PH got a sizable contract, but trading him was a superior move I would say most GM's wouldn't have done. And look how well the team came together afterwards.

Trading arguably one of your best players after you're having a rough start by our current standards? No one does that!

I agree w/ questioning Jerry's award, however. Suck at a job for that long, and then have your team do well one year? Weren't they pridecting a 4-12 record this year for them AFTER all of their transactions?

StoneCold

Reaction score
FargoHawk":23oorstz said:
Let's look at what Schneider DID do:

Extended Sherman
Extended Earl
Extended Avril
Traded Harvin
Extended Baldwin
Extended Wright
Team is back in NFC champ game
#1 seed NFC

Feel free to add whatever I'm missing. What exactly did Jerrah do to earn this?

Williams
Dobbs
Hill

Schneider finds gold in the weeds while Jerry can only find it in his SB replica ring on his finger.

SC

volsunghawk

Reaction score
eastcoast12":1fqmqzlg said:
volsunghawk":1fqmqzlg said:

I might argue that cutting him loose, in the long run for the organization, and short-term for this year, was a OTY move. Yes, he was the reason PH was here, and PH got a sizable contract, but trading him was a superior move I would say most GM's wouldn't have done. And look how well the team came together afterwards.

Trading arguably one of your best players after you're having a rough start by our current standards? No one does that!

I agree w/ questioning Jerry's award, however. Suck at a job for that long, and then have your team do well one year? Weren't they pridecting a 4-12 record this year for them AFTER all of their transactions?

I won't even start to argue the Jerry thing, certainly.

And I did acknowledge that Schneider deserves some credit for admitting the Harvin mistake quickly and moving on.

But to give him the EOTY award for a move like that is like giving Andrew Luck a Player of the Game award for throwing a couple of late TD passes for a comeback win after he threw 2 pick-sixes to put his team in a hole in the first place.

Meeker

Reaction score
The Cowboys are in a pretty horrible cap situation...but I doubt thats a factor, although it should have been part of the conversation.

eastcoast12

Reaction score
volsunghawk":35panzoj said:
But to give him the EOTY award for a move like that is like giving Andrew Luck a Player of the Game award for throwing a couple of late TD passes for a comeback win after he threw 2 pick-sixes to put his team in a hole in the first place.

Not saying we should. Just that the argument is there for that. :D

I think JS should have won it on '12. A 7-9 team the year before w/ that draft? But I should also stop living in the past.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
volsunghawk":203f5zg6 said:
Hasselbeck":203f5zg6 said:
Maybe now you will.

What did Jones do though?

DynoHawk

Reaction score
What did Jerry do? He didn't fire Jason Garrett last season.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hey, I'm not complaining. This award will puff up Jones' ego so much more that he will NEVER give up control. He was starting to feel the pressure last year but no way he ever does now.