If you didn't think the NFL Exec OTY award was a farce...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I hate Jones, but you can't argue with the Cowboys totally overachieving this year.

NO ONE thought they'd be any good, and since this award is all about what coach or GM overachieved, Jones makes sense.

For as long as the Hawks are expected to be good, Pete and John aren't going to win.........unless we go 16-0.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hey now...he and his team was kicked out of contention for the Super Bowl...so second place is EOTY...taint it???

KatarHol

Reaction score
Most of the time it takes a few years for a GMs actions to show their impact, so what does a yearly Exec of the year award even tell us? This award along with the coach of the year award most often translates into "Most Surprisingly Good team of the year".

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Is total depth not important to equation?

Look at how many were lost in free agency.

Look at how many injuries the Seahawks sustained?

Seahawks still finished with the #1 seed.

And the Percy Harvin trade was just icing on the cake...

Here's a guy that you invested draft picks + a big contract in and when they couldn't get on the same page they traded him away... for the better of the team.

I doubt any other team would have made that trade with that investment.

And Executive OTY or Coach OTY awards to me at least isn't some singular award. Either one represents team strength at thetop of the pyramid.

The fact that out of 10 times PC/JS could win either award and they haven't is a little ludacris.

No big deal though... Lombardis crush all achievements.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Some football writers are angling for a seat on Jerry's party bus.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1lav79vy said:
Is total depth not important to equation?

Look at how many were lost in free agency.

Look at how many injuries the Seahawks sustained?

Seahawks still finished with the #1 seed.

And the Percy Harvin trade was just icing on the cake...

Here's a guy that you invested draft picks + a big contract in and when they couldn't get on the same page they traded him away... for the better of the team.

I doubt any other team would have made that trade with that investment.

And Executive OTY or Coach OTY awards to me at least isn't some singular award. Either one represents team strength at thetop of the pyramid.

The fact that out of 10 times PC/JS could win either award and they haven't is a little ludacris.

No big deal though... Lombardis crush all achievements.

All valid points, but like I said these awards are about expectations.

The Hawks were just about everybody's pre-season SB pick, if not close. Going 12-4 didn't exceed anyone's expectations, thus no coach or GM awards.

The Cowboys were expected to be NFC East doormats.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The voters on the East coast don't stay up late enough to watch the Seahawks play, so nobody out that way knows about the Seahawks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3j0bk9ge said:
Hasselbeck":3j0bk9ge said:
Maybe now you will.

John Schneider once again does not win...

Honestly, though, what did Schneider do THIS YEAR to earn the award?
A more relevant question is "What Did Jerry F*^&$%g Jones do to EARN it THIS YEAR"

pmedic920

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":c7wlp0c6 said:
I hate Jones, but you can't argue with the Cowboys totally overachieving this year.

NO ONE thought they'd be any good, and since this award is all about what coach or GM overachieved, Jones makes sense.

For as long as the Hawks are expected to be good, Pete and John aren't going to win.........unless we go 16-0.

IMHO the Cowboys had a decent season in spite of Jones not because of him.

Yes, easily disputed but I really dislike him.
No I don't know him but you know what I mean.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FargoHawk":q2p35xyq said:
gonzhawk":q2p35xyq said:
Burley trade
Moeki
Paul richardson
Britt starting G on #1 rush O

Agreed on all except Richardson. While I really like him, the fact that this WR class has been so impressive and multiple guys drafted AFTER PRich have had a bigger impact: Jarvis Landry, Martavious Bryant, Davante Adams I think we could have had better.
Those Receivers were drafted to way more pass happy Offenses, and having Harvin in place, NONE of those other Receivers would be getting anything close to the number of passes go their way if they were drafted to the Seahawks Run Heavy Offense.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35y9x5ns said:

While you are correct that they did massively overachieve this year, how much can you really attribute to what Jones did *this* year? They already had Dez, Murray, Romo, Witten, T. Smith, Carr, Scandrick, etc. They added Melton and Zach Martin, sure, but almost all the pieces that finally came together were already in place.

Which I guess makes it all the worse that Schneider didn't win it in 2012 or 2013 if using that cumulative logic.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1v58hajv said:

You just completely proved the case against Jerry Jones in your first sentence

kearly

Reaction score
volsunghawk":15vaxg9p said:
Hasselbeck":15vaxg9p said:
Maybe now you will.

This would be a great point, except that Bill Pollian won the award six times.

I am okay with JS not winning it this year, but at some point he needs to be acknowledged for having the other 31 teams going through his garbage every Spring.

kearly

Reaction score
Regarding Jones, I'm not saying he deserves the award, but his front office did make some moves to help the team reach 12-4 last offseason. Rod Marinelli at DC and Scott Linehan at OC played a huge role in the Cowboys turnaround, and both were hired by Jones during the 2014 offseason. They also got a very good return on their first round pick. Of course, most of the success they had this season came down to staying mostly healthy at QB and RB.

This is a stupid award and the selection of Jones is further proof of that. But I think it would be wrong to say that Jones didn't do anything to earn votes.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Let Skelator win the consolation prize, it's a meaningless award, maybe it will keep him out of Rog's ear for awhile. I'm sure John would rather hoist a second consecutive Lombardi Trophy February 1 instead. 8)

sc85sis

Reaction score
What did Elway do to get it besides sign Manning? One player got him that award while Pete and John were building a potential dynasty. Jones getting it now shouldn't be a surprise. Whoever picks these winners clearly hasn't got a clue.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
eastcoast12":rt9jx9vt said:
volsunghawk":rt9jx9vt said:
But 2014? The Harvin headache highlighted a huge miss by our front office, and the return we got for him illustrated how hamstrung the Hawks were by the contract they gave him (if his contract had been more team-friendly, we might have had more suitors for Harvin). In any season that you can turn a 1st, 3rd, and 7th rounder into a conditional 4th at best, you're not going to win any awards.

I might argue that cutting him loose, in the long run for the organization, and short-term for this year, was a OTY move. Yes, he was the reason PH was here, and PH got a sizable contract, but trading him was a superior move I would say most GM's wouldn't have done. And look how well the team came together afterwards.

Trading arguably one of your best players after you're having a rough start by our current standards? No one does that!

I agree w/ questioning Jerry's award, however. Suck at a job for that long, and then have your team do well one year? Weren't they pridecting a 4-12 record this year for them AFTER all of their transactions?

1. Trading harvin away was not an EOTY move, it was obvious that Harvin was a total failure and was making the team worse. When you can EASILY make your team better by getting rid of someone, you do it. You guys need to stop pretending that Schneider is the only guy who gets rid of players who hurt the team. Every year players waaaaaaay better than Harvin get dumped, which brings me to...

2. He was nowhere close to being one of our best players. He was given a huge contract despite not doing much in Minnesota (never earned the contract) but being paid the most does not make someone one of the best. Harvin was the 53rd best player on the 53 man roster.

You don't win EOTY awards for giving out huge contracts to losers like harvin, and you don't win the award for trading him for a 6th (even though he isnt even worth a 7th rounder). He was the worst player on the team and the made him the highest paid. Epic failure.

But as others have said, I would gladly sign a petition to give Schneider the award for 2012 and/or 2013.

Despite all the awesome moves Schneider has made, the Harvin trade/contract is the worst in Hawks history, and it was the worst move in the nfl in 2013. You don't win executive of the year when LITERALLY ZERO GMs made a move as bad as his.

If the Hawks win the super bowl this year and Schneider doesn't pull another Harvin then I think he finally gets what he deserves next year.

morgulon1

Reaction score
kearly":3cfe4pi6 said:
volsunghawk":3cfe4pi6 said:
Hasselbeck":3cfe4pi6 said:
Maybe now you will.

This would be a great point, except that Bill Pollian won the award six times.

I am okay with JS not winning it this year, but at some point he needs to be acknowledged for having the other 31 teams going through his garbage every Spring.

Bill Pollian. Ridiculous. This proves that this whole award is a farce, a good ol' boys club. It was obviously his turn.

gonzhawk

Reaction score
We can also celebrate that now that JJ has won this award, he really won't ever truly get a quality GM on board.

That's got to be good right?

ps. I realize that Britt is a RT not a guard..my bad :p

Latest posts