If you didn't think the NFL Exec OTY award was a farce...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Clueless ol' me says that our 2012 team met the same criteria the 2014 Cowpies did, but I suppose I'm not looking at all of the overwhelming data to the contrary. Kiper did give us a draft grade of 'F,' and several other pin heads agreed.

Guess we gotta face the facts that, despite horrible talent evaluation from Scheider, our 'too-short game manager' got 'lucky' that year, as did our cheating defense. Skip says it's because we were 'sneaky,' so I suppose I'm not seeing things clearly. The sneakiness continued longer than Skip thought, because we 'snuck' into the Super Bowl the following season and somehow won it.

Count yer lucky charms, guys! :mrgreen:

Jiggy

Reaction score
Pretty much every year there is that team that turns the corner and either pulls itself out of the gutter or finally makes the playoffs. While I can appreciate that this isn't an easy task to do, I don't consider that feat to be out of the ordinary and especially worthy of automatic consideration for <insertTitleHere>of they year winner.

That being said, after winning a super bowl, back to back play off appearances. Let alone a win in the playoffs. LET ALONE appearances in the divisional championship rounds with a REAL chance of returning to the super bowl... This doesn't happen every year, heck in the modern salary cap era it's rare to see every few years. Last time for the Superbowl champ to win in the playoffs the next year was what? TEN years ago.

This is why I agree with the OP.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1s16s2go said:
eastcoast12":1s16s2go said:
volsunghawk":1s16s2go said:
But 2014? The Harvin headache highlighted a huge miss by our front office, and the return we got for him illustrated how hamstrung the Hawks were by the contract they gave him (if his contract had been more team-friendly, we might have had more suitors for Harvin). In any season that you can turn a 1st, 3rd, and 7th rounder into a conditional 4th at best, you're not going to win any awards.

I might argue that cutting him loose, in the long run for the organization, and short-term for this year, was a OTY move. Yes, he was the reason PH was here, and PH got a sizable contract, but trading him was a superior move I would say most GM's wouldn't have done. And look how well the team came together afterwards.

Trading arguably one of your best players after you're having a rough start by our current standards? No one does that!

I agree w/ questioning Jerry's award, however. Suck at a job for that long, and then have your team do well one year? Weren't they pridecting a 4-12 record this year for them AFTER all of their transactions?

1. Trading harvin away was not an EOTY move, it was obvious that Harvin was a total failure and was making the team worse. When you can EASILY make your team better by getting rid of someone, you do it. You guys need to stop pretending that Schneider is the only guy who gets rid of players who hurt the team. Every year players waaaaaaay better than Harvin get dumped, which brings me to...

2. He was nowhere close to being one of our best players. He was given a huge contract despite not doing much in Minnesota (never earned the contract) but being paid the most does not make someone one of the best. Harvin was the 53rd best player on the 53 man roster.

You don't win EOTY awards for giving out huge contracts to losers like harvin, and you don't win the award for trading him for a 6th (even though he isnt even worth a 7th rounder). He was the worst player on the team and the made him the highest paid. Epic failure.

But as others have said, I would gladly sign a petition to give Schneider the award for 2012 and/or 2013.

Despite all the awesome moves Schneider has made, the Harvin trade/contract is the worst in Hawks history, and it was the worst move in the nfl in 2013. You don't win executive of the year when LITERALLY ZERO GMs made a move as bad as his.

If the Hawks win the super bowl this year and Schneider doesn't pull another Harvin then I think he finally gets what he deserves next year.

Seriously man.. did Percy Harvin kick your dog off your bridge or something? EVERY mention of the word "Percy" sends you into a frenzy

We get it. The trade flopped. Move on.

P.S. LOL at calling it the worst move in franchise history. When did you start following this team? Did you miss the 90's?

Latest posts