New PAT rules Confirmed

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/600783961976152065[/tweet]

PAT will kick from the 15....2 pt try will be from the 2 and the defense can score

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.waow.com/story/29106812/2015/05/19/nfl-owners-to-vote-on-changes-to-pat[/urltargetblank]

Proposal No. 2: The Competition Committee Proposal

This proposal would allow both teams the chance to score one or two points. An extra point would be snapped from the 15 and a two-point conversion from the 2, just as in the first proposal.

However, the main difference here is a failed kick or two-point attempt would not result in a dead ball. On turnovers or blocked kicks, the defensive team would have the chance to return the ball back for a touchdown.

If the defensive team successfully scores on a failed two-point try, that would result in two points for the defensive team. Currently, all failed two-point conversions result in dead balls with no chance for the defense to convert them into points.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
So how does the defending team score 1 point?

Would it really be a touchdown if they run it back? Or would it just be a 2-point conversion?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If it is run back on a two point conversion attempt it is a 2 point TD, no conversion.

I assume the team that scored the TD would still kick off???

253hawk

Reaction score
If it's anything like flag football rules, the conversion and/or turnover for return will be 2 points and the kickoff will still be to the team that the TD was scored on.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Why would they call it a TD one way and not the other? Oh well...it's not really important.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
fenderbender123":ik9qi88a said:
Why would they call it a TD one way and not the other? Oh well...it's not really important.

They aren't. A 2 point conversion isn't a touchdown.

pmedic920

Reaction score
So does that create a situation where a team may fumble on purpose, let the other team run it back for 2 pts. just so the could get the ball back?
I'm confused.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
pmedic920":i3oucyol said:
So does that create a situation where a team may fumble on purpose, let the other team run it back for 2 pts. just so the could get the ball back?

No.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":1kzprbq5 said:
I'm confused.

No matter what happens on the kick/try, the team that scored the original td still has to kickoff.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":3b82ss43 said:
fenderbender123":3b82ss43 said:

They aren't. A 2 point conversion isn't a touchdown.

That's what I was thinking. Not sure why the article calls it otherwise.

And yeah, if you guys are wondering how the whole defense 2-point conversion works...it's going to be the same rules as college. The attempting team does not get the ball back if the defensive team scores on a conversion attempt.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Also, no time is ran off the clock, just like a PAT kick attempt.

I like the new rule. The PAT was basically the most boring play in football, so now they've added some suspense to it at least.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think moving the kick to the 1 yard line would have made it more likely to increase the number of 2-pt conversions as tricking the opponent would be easier

Besides that I like it

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
Since it's essentially a 33-yard FG I guess this just gives kickers a few practice kicks during the game. Wonder if this does anything to FG percentages. Or matters in any way, shape or form. Ever.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Beer Hawk":evj5tj4e said:
Since it's essentially a 33-yard FG I guess this just gives kickers a few practice kicks during the game. Wonder if this does anything to FG percentages. Or matters in any way, shape or form. Ever.

One thing it will do, is decrease the likelihood of scoring on a botched snap. Being further back at the snap would mean they'd need to run it over 20 yards to score now. That is much less likely than it already was before. I'm sure there will be a slightly higher amount of misses in sloppy condition, but nothing significant. It just adds a new element of interest in that the ball is no longer a dead ball until a tackle or score.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Should we pass for it or give it to the Beast???? Maybe the dumb ass will get it figured out before the season starts eh???

M.M.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Here's a graphic from ESPN Stats on which is statistically better over the long run.

CFZ1qiIUUAATieF.jpg:large

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":27watdav said:
Here's a graphic from ESPN Stats on which is statistically better over the long run.

CFZ1qiIUUAATieF.jpg:large

NOOOO!!! They can't do that... I think in multiples of 7 for football with 8 or 6 being anomalies.

But then safeties and frequent field-goals screw that up anyways.

:oops:

AgentDib

Reaction score
This wasn't the best option but it is still a small improvement. Kickers will miss PATs now, we should see slightly more two point conversions, and there should be significantly fewer trick plays.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
For some teams, nothing changes. But teams like Carolina, with multiple big targets and Cam, should go for 2 a lot more often.

Latest posts