BJ Daniels the QB

Alexander

Reaction score
Anyone else like BJ Daniels way better than RJ Archer as the third quarterback? The offense just seemed so much more effective with him behind center than Archer. A big part of that I think is Daniels' ability to run the read option, but I thought his passing ability was decent as well. Obviously there were a few bad throws (the one that should've been picked was atrocious), but the touchdown to Kasen Williams was nice. Overall, not too shabby considering he probably hasn't gotten any reps at QB this preseason.

I guess the coaching staff wanted to give him a legit shot to make it as a receiver/returner, but with Kasen Williams and Kevin Smith arguably outplaying him, he looks like the odd man out. It kind of makes me wish they'd kept Daniels at QB so they could see if he'd be a capable replacement for TJack. As it currently stands, it looks like they'll have to cut him.

Thoughts?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I thought Daniels did well. His arm is a hell of a lot stronger than Archer's, and with his ability to run I think defenders have to respect that instead of coming right at him. Unfortunately I think Seattle needs the roster space for WR or DB so I think Daniels maybe goes to the practice squad.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
These kind of mistakes tend to repeat themselves. Last year, it was Terrelle Pryor monopolizing backup reps rather than developing B.J. at QB. This year it was Archer.

B.J. has a chance to develop into a very good backup QB. He should make the roster, at least while Jackson recovers from the high ankle sprain and Richardson remains on PUP.

I think we carried seven WRs at the beginning of last season. Maybe if B.J. proves himself at QB during Jackson's absence, they will eventually decide to release Jackson.

R. Lockette could be on the way out.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Archer looks too robotic to me, and he doesn't add the element of playmaking and running. Daniels is much more fluid and natural and athletic.

They will keep Daniels on the roster as a Swiss Army knife player.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
He seems a bit like Seneca Wallace to me; he has wheels, can play receiver and returner, very athletic all around, can throw a bit, and overall can be both electric and frustrating to watch.

Sounds like a good fit as a backup who could improve behind RW.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken we brought in BJ from the 49ers because his style was so similar to Wilson's. That was pretty evident again last night. Our 2nd (or 3rd) string offense was much more potent with him in there VS Archer. Creates kind of a mess actually. The team has spent all off season trying to turn him into a WR/KR and Lockett comes along and upsets that apple cart. Suddenly he looks like our best option as the backup qb at least until TJack is back healthy. Hopefully we can find a way to keep him either on the PS or on the team as a ST/Backup QB. But I think the WR experiment has run its course.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Daniels looked fantastic as a 3rd QB, especially after not playing there at all in training camp or preseason up to that point. I have a feeling Seattle went to him this week and said "you aren't making the roster as a WR. If you want to earn a job, it will have to be as the 3rd QB on Thursday."

And if that performance didn't earn him a shot, I don't know what would. He moved the Offense great and was way more effective than Archer.

If there ever was a situation where we had to play a 3rd QB, I'd rather have Daniels out there running the read option than whatever we'd get from Archer. Plus, Daniels is great depth for special teams and WR (even though I don't think he'll ever be a standout there).

olyfan63

Reaction score
I *wanted* to like Archer. But he had opportunity after opportunity after opportunity this preseason, and did next to nothing with them. A waste. Next!!

BJ Daniels looked way, way better as QB3 and moved the team most of the time, and had some nice drives and made some good throws and some not-so-good throws. Overall, a huge improvement over Archer in effectiveness.

I don't see any point in keeping Archer on the Practice Squad. Release him. He doesn't fit this team and doesn't appear to be an NFL-level player, at least not in the Seahawks scheme. His deep ball isn't there, he isn't particularly mobile, and he doesn't seem to find open receivers and hit them and move the team. He did have moments in the 2-minute offense a couple games earlier, but hasn't shown enough to keep him around. Next!!

BJ Daniels is a poor 3rd best behind Kasen Williams and Kevin Smith at receiving, and behind Lockett and Kevin Smith as a returner. His only real value to the team right now, IMO, is as a QB3 and emergency receiver/returner, and possibly also gadget play threat.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I think he's proven his value to this team. All that was said about him in the broadcast leads me to believe he will have a roster spot. I hope so.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I too wish they had continued his development to eventually fill the back-up QB position. I am not privy to info the coaches have of course, but from what I have seen I think he would have been able to get there and be at least as good as TJack, but with more athleticism. Of course this is not taking into account the mental side of the game, so maybe they have been un-impressed with those aspects.

StoneCold

Reaction score
RJ Archer has no business being on a football field much less playing QB. If you're going to keep 3 QB's you have to get rid of him and keep Daniels. If, god forbid, we actually get down to playing our 3rd string QB, we would still have a chance of winning with BJ, not Archer. Have I made it clear how much I don't like Archer. Sorry dude, but you should be flippin burgers.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3kxau4nn said:
I think we carried seven WRs at the beginning of last season. Maybe if B.J. proves himself at QB during Jackson's absence, they will eventually decide to release Jackson.

B.J. is willing to do anything including special teams. He shows what he can do with the ball in space and has quite a bit of "shake n' bake" in him. We just have to get him the ball, either as a depth wide receiver, scat back or even the threat of some special double pass play. He warrants using a roster spot on him.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Daniels is to valuable and way too talented to risk stashing on PS.
It may be preseason but more teams like Buffalo, Tennessee, Jets, Minnesota and obviously Philadelphia are scheming read option and RO pass plays into their playbooks. Teams that want a change up at qb would love BJ Daniels' skillset. He continues to be versatile, durable and elusive.
Yesterday he showed progress playing qb despite practicing most of this preseason as a receiver and returner.

marko358

Reaction score
Was at the game yesterday and holy cow was Archer painful to watch. Did they have to give him that many drives to realize how awful he is? As soon as BJ went in, it was fun to watch the offense again.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Why can't BJ be both the third back up QB and a back up receiver?

Laloosh

Reaction score
brimsalabim":k30tem9e said:
Why can't BJ be both the third back up QB and a back up receiver?

If he'd make it past waivers that's probably how it would go down. Problem is, he may have played himself onto someone's 53 last night.

It's gotta be a tough call for PC and JS.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
It's kind of insane that B.J. played this well at QB (though he did havea couple high throws and near picks) while not playing there during any of the three previous games, not learning in the QB room, and barely playing any QB during practices.

capncrunch

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2y6mdog7 said:
It's kind of insane that B.J. played this well at QB (though he did havea couple high throws and near picks) while not playing there during any of the three previous games, not learning in the QB room, and barely playing any QB during practices.

Yes. Totally. I like the idea of him competing and eventually beating TJack for the QB2 spot. I would be very disappointed if Archer makes the team.

marko358

Reaction score
capncrunch":2j45485i said:
I would be very disappointed if Archer makes the team.

I am guessing there is a less than 1% chance of that happening.

titan3131

Reaction score
I say we pup tjack Turbo and keep kasen bj rawls

Latest posts