Why did they feel it better to run on 4th and 1?

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Though Lynch sometimes seems it, he’s not unstoppable. Of his 281 carries during the 2014 season, 20 resulted in lost yardage while two more yielded fumbles, meaning that something bad happened for the Seahawks 7.8 percent of the time when he was asked to carry the ball.

He was handed the ball at the 1 five times in 2014, getting into the end zone just once — a 20 percent success rate well short of the league average of 57.5 percent.

Which is why I've always tended to agree with this analysis of the SB play.

source - https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015 ... story.html

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Running it on a gun formation still baffles me. Fire Bevell!!!

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1qjcyck4 said:
I have no more words... :roll:

Ozzy

Reaction score
I have more of an issue of running from the shotgun in that situation, not overall because they do well running the read option out of it. I just hated it there when everyone knew Lynch was getting the ball and you use a slower developing run play right into the middle of that defense who has been destroying your interior all game.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Running Lynch on 4th was the right call. I'm more surprised that they didn't try a TE dump-off on 2nd or 3rd.

nash72

Reaction score
dopeboy206":3lyoolug said:

Agreed. Bevell made a 4th and 1 into a 4th and 5. The Seahawks win in spite of him and that's sad. To much talent on the offensive side for it to be that stagnant all the time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Because it's our base offensive formation, where the majority of our plays are run from..............thus the most options which means the most plays the defense has to prepare for.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
austinslater25":1lexo2e4 said:
I have more of an issue of running from the shotgun in that situation, not overall because they do well running the read option out of it. I just hated it there when everyone knew Lynch was getting the ball and you use a slower developing run play right into the middle of that defense who has been destroying your interior all game.

This!

I get that they felt it gave them options but for pete's sake (pun intended) why push yourselves 5 more yards behind the line of scrimmage to get 1 yard? Line up under center, snap the ball and either quickly hand off or sneak it.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Aros":8l9jpuc8 said:
austinslater25":8l9jpuc8 said:

This!

I get that they felt it gave them options but for pete's sake (pun intended) why push yourselves 5 more yards behind the line of scrimmage to get 1 yard? Line up under center, snap the ball and either quickly hand off or sneak it.
Honestly, with the penetration the rams were constantly getting all game, you're almost constricting Lynch. At least with more space he has time to evade tacklers.

Everyone wants to blame the play call, but then had Wilson been under center with a FB and Lynch behind him and Donald blows up Nowack right away and Wilson barely gets off the handoff and then Lynch is swarmed 3 yards behind the line, people would have the same reaction. With the formation they ran (which they run often and effectively) it gives options

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Aros":3paons2w said:
austinslater25":3paons2w said:

This!

That's why I thought a QB sneak would have been the safest, a shot down field would have been the boldest play of the game. And would have probably won the game.

We are still too conservative when it's crunch time.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I get that it gives options and the options disappear when the pocket collapses like a house of playing cards in a tornado. I guess it just boils down to better execution and not so much the play call itself.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Pete said they gained 2 or 3 yards on that playcall every time they ran it yesterday. Until that play. They went with what had been working for that situation and it didn't work that time.

MVP53

Reaction score
tom sawyer":217vawll said:
Though Lynch sometimes seems it, he’s not unstoppable. Of his 281 carries during the 2014 season, 20 resulted in lost yardage while two more yielded fumbles, meaning that something bad happened for the Seahawks 7.8 percent of the time when he was asked to carry the ball.

He was handed the ball at the 1 five times in 2014, getting into the end zone just once — a 20 percent success rate well short of the league average of 57.5 percent.

Which is why I've always tended to agree with this analysis of the SB play.

source - https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015 ... story.html

Using that logic, something bad happens roughly 37% of the time Russell throws it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on:

They probably ran it because had it been a short pass, Wilson would have dropped back, skipped over two perfectly good reads, started to run, and been sacked. Like much of the rest of the game.

:sarcasm_off:

Hawks46

Reaction score
austinslater25":18095t84 said:

Exactly. League wide, 3rd and 4th and 1 or shorter actually has a pretty low conversion rate. We're one of the better teams doing it, but using a formation that puts the RB even farther from the LOS actually lowers your success rate significantly.

nrayorr

Reaction score
Aros":q6a14zo0 said:
austinslater25":q6a14zo0 said:

This!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen RW do a sneak. Has he and I just forgot?

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1yef67r8 said:

This! 100% agreed!!!! Hand it off 5 yards back when you need 1...... Great call bevell you clown

nrayorr

Reaction score
In my opinion they should've ran a power I or play action pass or something than that play. I know that some people are gonna say, well... you got back to that position before to win the game and didn't hand off to Lynch, now you do and you are crying about it. To those people I say.... well, I can't say it here.