4 games played, 18 sacks given up

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The Hawks have after 4 games given up the second worst sack total in the league 1 sack behind KC. RW is being sacked an average now of 4.5 times per game.

Last week much of the conversation here was the hoped for improvement of the OLine. After last night it appeared as if they have regressed after giving up 6 sacks. What was concerning to me was the apparent lack of effective adjustment to counter the various edge blitzes which the team had little effective answer for all night. I had hoped the OLine would take another step forward but this appeared to be still waiting to happen after watching last night.

The argument can be made that RW is holding onto the ball too long but I'm uncertain that that really is reason for the high number of sacks given up. Does the team need to modify their protections? Would some quick hitting plays back the pressure off? Does the team just need better running to cause the opposing D to key on the run? Is it scheme or are the guys we have just not that good, b/c it is apparent they sure didn't look that good last night. To me it seemed that both OTs were struggling with pass protection all evening.

Last night's effort by the OLine was not pretty by most any metric.

It does need to be said that Detroit's DLine is really not that bad and that Detroit is the best 0-4 team I've seen.

seabowl

Reaction score
Anyone blaming Ruseell for what's going on is insane. Without him we would be getting killed. Other than Rodgers and maybe Brady who both do a great job of getting rid of the ball quickly I don't know anyone else that would be even slightly successful behind this shitty line.

Reaction score
Im have been watching football for a long time. I can not remember seeing a oline this bad maybe Penn states offensive line this year is pretty close. However I dont understand what we are trying to do converting all these guys. For the sake of argument lets just say it takes them two years to really adjust at an adequate level. Well basically we have them for another what two years and then they are gone. Why not just find someone that actually played the position before. If the Front office can find these gems so to speak in the later rounds how come they can never find one offensive lineman that can actually block. These guys as a overall group look horrible.

Some teams find guys and just plug them right in and dont miss a beat. Some struggle but not this bad. The bears that have no pass rush was teeing off on us. We just have to do better this is down right embarrassing. I really think we are wasting our time trying to convert guys giving them playing time over guys like Poole and Glowinski. I thought it would take these guys a couple of games to gel but as many people have pointed out they are regressing. It is a huge area of concern moving forward and we have to adjust. Does it make a good topic for the broadcaster's about our ability of our coaches switching guys yes. However when the result looks like swiss cheese and your franchise qb gets hit more than a lot lizard at a truck stop its a problem.

Latest posts