D line

Largent80

Reaction score
Why did they stink?

What is the deal. They have been pedestrian all year with yesterday being the pinnacle of blah.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
We're not getting our DT to collapse the pocket regularly. QB's are stepping up, and Irvin/Bennett/Avril are running right by.

kearly

Reaction score
The D-line is on pace for 39 sacks which would be the second best number of the PC era. The run defense is one of the best in the NFL.

Pittsburgh has an elite OL that is seriously under-rated. And Big Ben is one of the better QBs at feeling pressure.

Seattle's interior pass rush needs to be better but it's the same group of guys they had in 2014 and 2013.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Pitt has a top 5 OLine. I still need to see someone other than Bennett and Avril step up. Clark had a nice sack, but I still need to see his name and others called more often. Haven't heard much from Mebane and Hill this season.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
No Wagner or any ILB. The pocket collapses as the o line pushes Irvin and Bennett forty yards behind- even when they broke the block (finally) they had so much ground to cover, Big Ben could rifle it away with plenty of time to spare. QB's step up and hit one in the middle or run. It seems in year's past, our LBs could cover their middle zones better, but still apply consistent pressure in the middle. Our line is seemingly built to contain Rodgers or even Russel- not sack or rush- but contain.

Also, if our O scrimmages against our D, our d-line will look like studs and not need to improve. Since RW hasn't thrown a lot in the middle flat, we don't defend there. It's almost as if our O and D are built to play one another and not the rest of the NFC. I think K-Richard is fighting the last war, not the new one. Hopefully he can become more creative with the scheme as he learns his craft.

Wartooth

Reaction score
The meat in the middle isn't getting it done!
It was alarming how many times that lumbering clod Roethlisberger took off right up the middle of the defense!
Bane looks slow this year, and everyone else is just average at best...
I hope they use the entire draft on BOTH lines!
I feel the lines on both side of the ball, are what is the biggest problems for this team.

marko358

Reaction score
Did the Stealers have any holding penalties from their o-line? I don't recall any. Seems so odd that our opponent rarely, if ever, gets called for holding especially since it's common knowledge that there is a hold on arguably most plays in every football game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2sbktoge said:
We're not getting our DT to collapse the pocket regularly. QB's are stepping up, and Irvin/Bennett/Avril are running right by.

Bingo

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Unless the stats that I'm reading are wrong from NFL.com..

2014 sack totals, regular season was 37
2015 sack total through 11 games is 27.

This means the Seahawks are on pace for 39 sacks, which is slightly more than last year.

Looking at the data, DE position group, Bennett/Avril/Irvin had 18.5 sacks in 2014. Through 11 games in 2015, they have 18.5 sacks already.

Looking at the DT group:

Kevin Williams had 3 sacks last year
Jordan Hill had 5.5 sacks last year
Tony McDaniel 0 sacks last year
Brandon Mebane 1 sack last year

Jordan Hill has 0 this year.
Brandon Mebane has 0.5 this year.
Aytaba Rubin has 2 sacks this year.

My point is, it's clear we're not getting the production from the DT position in the SACK department, only, this year. Now maybe they're being asked to do other things, or we're going with lighter sets and they're not getting the snaps that they got last year.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wartooth":8m9lwjco said:
The meat in the middle isn't getting it done!

It was alarming how many times that lumbering clod Roethlisberger took off right up the middle of the defense!
Bane looks slow this year, and everyone else is just average at best...
I hope they use the entire draft on BOTH lines!
I feel the lines on both side of the ball, are what is the biggest problems for this team.

Uhhh....I'm pretty sure that's NOT what they are doing in the middle, but with Ben involved, who knows?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I also think that a good DLine makes the back end look much better. So I'm tempted to give the secondary more of a pass and look to the tackles to shoulder more of the blame for the defensive failings late in games.

Of course, I know that goes both ways...good coverage, more coverage sacks.

I think if we're planning on beating Carson Palmer or Cam Newton in the playoffs, it better start with getting in the QB's face more often than we are. Otherwise, I could see us having to put up 35+ a game to compete. I don't see us winning a track meet in January against defenses that can play better pass coverage than Pittsburgh.

Perhaps a draft need is DLine, specifically DT.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":388753vs said:
My point is, it's clear we're not getting the production from the DT position in the SACK department, only, this year. Now maybe they're being asked to do other things, or we're going with lighter sets and they're not getting the snaps that they got last year.

IMO it's more about pressure up the middle, not as much sacks, although they are a good indicator of pressure.

Gotta figure out a way to collapse the pocket, especially against good QB's.........just not good enough right now. Maybe move Bennett inside more, he's great at splitting the gaps. I'd rather let Irvin and Clark go to DE more, and do this than keep seeing these QB's step up into wide open pockets with perfect vision downfield.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
kearly":2a80v738 said:
The D-line is on pace for 39 sacks which would be the second best number of the PC era. The run defense is one of the best in the NFL.

Pittsburgh has an elite OL that is seriously under-rated. And Big Ben is one of the better QBs at feeling pressure.

Seattle's interior pass rush needs to be better but it's the same group of guys they had in 2014 and 2013.

Sorry bro. But vs. SF , Avril was the only one balling. These guys are not getting it done.

cHawkPhan

Reaction score
Largent80":12y2kzh3 said:
Why did they stink?

What is the deal. They have been pedestrian all year with yesterday being the pinnacle of blah.

Largent80":12y2kzh3 said:
Did you even watch the game o.p.?

Linebacker's were terrible. D-line let fat assed qb step right around them. Look no further.

quote from another thread where poster obviously did not read the intent of that posted question, but pretty much answered his own post. Hmmm?
If you knew the answers, why post the question?

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
cHawkPhan":21kgfsys said:
Largent80":21kgfsys said:
Why did they stink?

Largent80":21kgfsys said:
Did you even watch the game o.p.?

Linebacker's were terrible. D-line let fat assed qb step right around them. Look no further.

quote from another thread where poster obviously did not read the intent of that posted question, but pretty much answered his own post. Hmmm?
If you knew the answers, why post the question?

How about being original and answering for yourself Mr. Phan?

Latest posts