Offensive Line - 2023

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Offensive Line - Every play starts right here, and their play effects all other position groups like none other. When quarterbacks don't get their 3.0 seconds to throw, then they are usually said to have under performed. When the quarterback can't set and throw, the receivers don't have much of a chance of catching anything of value. Same goes for the tight ends when they have to chip block opposing defensive ends. Running backs are a little bit different, but for the most part, running back careers seem to also mirror the strength of their offensive lines as well. Just as important, when a team has a good offensive line, that team's defense stays off the field longer, and their defense does not wind up being continually exposed as much.

When compared to the rest of the league, most national NFL media pundits did not believe the Seahawk's had much talent along their offensive line to start the 2023 season. Maybe they are right, and maybe I am wrong, but I honestly believe that the Hawk's will have a top 10 rated offensive line by years end, or at least a top 6 rated offensive line going into next season. Hawk's have really good starters, but it's the depth behind those starters that ought to put a scare into the rest of the league over a 17 plus game season.

While I begin this thread in week 3, every single Seahawks starter across their offensive line, is either banged up, recovering from prior injuries, or assigned to the injured reserve list. I'm really not losing faith here, as other teams are dealing with their own injuries as well. I will state that it is probably more difficult for an offensive lineman to enter into the middle of a game as an injury replacement then for any other position group. The difference seems to be, when a team has good quality backups, and those backups get to practice all week long, those backups seem to do a lot better. Assuming there is a good level of talent there.

Entering Week 3 - On the surface, things are not looking all that good right now...
  • LT Charles Cross, he has been ruled out again with turf toe. Stone Forsythe will fill the void again this week.
  • LG Damien Lewis, kind of a warrior, but also seems to plays hurt more often than he plays healthy.
  • OC Evan Brown, another warrior, knee injury, missed practices, but expected to play.
  • RG Phil Haynes, calf injury, left practice.
  • RT Abe Lucas, out on a 4 week IR stint. Jake Curhan will fill in again.
  • TE Will Dissly, shoulder & doubtful to play this week.
  • TE Noah Fant, rib injury & day by day.
  • LS Chris Stoll, un-drafted rookie he is, is also the healthiest of all our offensive lineman.
Maybe it would be best to just start the second team offensive line right now. After all, that second team offensive line actually won two of three pre-season games. That first unit got abused once the regular season started (see injury list above). Also noteworthy, there has been only one pancake block made so far this year by this offensive line, and that was made by the rookie guard, Anthony Bradford during the pre-season. You don't scare anybody if you don't do more of that "BOOM" pancake blocking week-to-week.

Last edited:

KinesProf

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, may I ask where you find the tracking of pancake blocks? I'd be interested to see who's leading the league, and who some of the more prolific players have been in that area. But perhaps it is too subjective to maintain those stats.

Mick063

Reaction score
You have to take into account the use of the tight ends. There may be better individuals (known mostly for receiving acumen), but with respect to a complete package of blocking and receiving, there isn't a better trio in the league. Add Bobo as another blocking "pseudo tight end" and you have yourselves a heck of a compliment to the offensive front. There are many cases when the term "making your teammates" better is loosely tossed around, inappropriately used, but this isn't one of them. Nothing makes life for an offensive tackle easier than having a competent tight end lined up next to him.

The other aspect is that over the past decade, as fans, we have grown accustomed to watching our QB habitually hang on to the ball, extending plays, and going off script. We aren't accustomed to watching a quarterback with a mental timer in his head. You can find consistency on offense with timing and rhythm. No group benefits more from timing and rhythm than the offensive line. Suddenly, we see that Seattle has a competent offensive line and Denver's is being touted as one of the worst. Personally, I see a common denominator that explains it.

Last edited:

LTH

Reaction score
Definitely I know nothing sir. Maybe not nothing but I learn so much from you guys everyday. You guys and everyone here keeps me connected to the Seahawks for good or bad.
LMAO!!! I didn't say you were wrong... I just wanted to know how confident you were in your assertion?

LTH

Mick063

Reaction score
Expending my ignore list, one antagonist poster at a time. The very same can be done with me. I can be ignored as well, and I highly recommend it. It is best that some of us do not interact, and we don't have to. It is a much better avenue then revealing juvenile behavior to the rest of the world. Regardless, the most important aspect of ignore is that you can't chase me away (or goad me into a ban worthy response) if I don't know what you are saying. ;) So you can block me or whine to others about me (that are willing to listen to it), but I won't be reading the whine. Maybe you can start your own little secret snicker society without me knowing about it. Cool with me. I welcome it. Reveal yourselves. Show the world who you really are. Without me knowing about it. Who needs moderators? I can handle it myself. Complete with my own personal peanut gallery. Celebrity status. I will bask in unread attention. This just in. I'm not stopping.

For the record, I wrote 10,000 functional lines of code for a single application, as a hobby, all while under the influence of marijuana. Sure, the debugging was a bitch, but it was all enjoyable, nonetheless. Don't think for one moment, that I take offense to being called high. I wear my "high" accomplishments like a badge of honor.

Last edited:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Definitely I know nothing sir. Maybe not nothing but I learn so much from you guys everyday. You guys and everyone here keeps me connected to the Seahawks for good or bad.

LMAO!!! I didn't say you were wrong... I just wanted to know how confident you were in your assertion?

LTH
Very it's how I roll.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Expending my ignore list, one antagonist poster at a time. The very same can be done with me. I can be ignored as well, and I highly recommend it. It is best that some of us do not interact, and we don't have to. It is a much better avenue then revealing juvenile behavior to the rest of the world. Regardless, the most important aspect of ignore is that you can't chase me away (or goad me into a ban worthy response) if I don't know what you are saying. ;) So you can block me or whine to others about me (that are willing to listen to it), but I won't be reading the whine. Maybe you can start your own little secret snicker society without me knowing about it. Cool with me. I welcome it. Reveal yourselves. Show the world who you really are. Without me knowing about it. Who needs moderators? I can handle it myself. Complete with my own personal peanut gallery. Celebrity status. I will bask in unread attention. This just in. I'm not stopping.

For the record, I wrote 10,000 functional lines of code for a single application, as a hobby, all while under the influence of marijuana. Sure, the debugging was a bitch, but it was all enjoyable, nonetheless. Don't think for one moment, that I take offense to being called high. I wear my "high" accomplishments like a badge of honor.
Have fun in your chamber of you. I expect some people won't like me it's called LIFE and having a job. And critical thinking but you would not have any clue about that right?

So what that you wrote shit given you admit you can't or won't deal or interact with living people.

I don't have popular opinions here but I defend.exactly what I believe. I suggest you should be a writer only Stephen King gets to point slower than you and only barely. Or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, may I ask where you find the tracking of pancake blocks? I'd be interested to see who's leading the league, and who some of the more prolific players have been in that area. But perhaps it is too subjective to maintain those stats.
KinesProf,

For the purposes of this thread, I'm that source, as I typically watch most plays on my DVR two to three times before moving on to the next one. Having trained my eyes to focus on either both the guards, or both the defensive tackles, I don't miss much.

Sorry, I don't have an exact answer for you, but maybe I can help point you in the right direction. I'll give you a link at the bottom here that states, "Tommy Kraemer holds the most pancake blocks in NFL history. He has a school record of 23 pancake blocks which is two more than one set by jake Hilvert." This site has a comment section, so maybe you can ask them where they obtain their information from. If you are that interested and chose to pursue it, I'd be very interested to learn what you find out.

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
You have to take into account the use of the tight ends. There may be better individuals (known mostly for receiving acumen), but with respect to a complete package of blocking and receiving, there isn't a better trio in the league. Add Bobo as another blocking "pseudo tight end" and you have yourselves a heck of a compliment to the offensive front. There are many cases when the term "making your teammates" better is loosely tossed around, inappropriately used, but this isn't one of them. Nothing makes life for an offensive tackle easier than having a competent tight end lined up next to him.

The other aspect is that over the past decade, as fans, we have grown accustomed to watching our QB habitually hang on to the ball, extending plays, and going off script. We aren't accustomed to watching a quarterback with a mental timer in his head. You can find consistency on offense with timing and rhythm. No group benefits more from timing and rhythm than the offensive line. Suddenly, we see that Seattle has a competent offensive line and Denver's is being touted as one of the worst. Personally, I see a common denominator that explains it.
Mick063,

Oh, I completely agree with you about the tight ends. Trouble is, Will Dissly & Noah Fant are both banged up for this weeks game, that leaves us with Colby Parkinson, and something called... Brady Russell.

There's a silver lining in that above statement for me however, as I actually prefer Colby Parkinson over Noah Fant. Colby seems to have developed into a more complete player in my opinion. But that is only my opinion, I'd like to hear yours.

Tight ends are pretty smart too; case in point, a man named Mike Holmgren. Yep, Iron Mike started out as a tight end before he became a quarterback, coach, head coach, and general manager.

I'm also a fan of of teams that can toss the ball within about 2.5 to 2.9 seconds. Hang on to the ball too long, and one might get a big play, they might get a big sack too, then there's always chance of that fumble bug, or that injury bug.

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score

Mick063,

Taking your word for it. Bye the way, is there any chance you could "debug" the Seahawks screen plays?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Have fun in your chamber of you. I expect some people won't like me it's called LIFE and having a job. And critical thinking but you would not have any clue about that right?

So what that you wrote shit given you admit you can't or won't deal or interact with living people.

I don't have popular opinions here but I defend.exactly what I believe. I suggest you should be a writer only Stephen King gets to point slower than you and only barely. Or not.
MizzouHawkGal,

You have piqued my curiosity. Who are your favorite players on this team? I understand that you are unhappy with the current ownership and coaching, so just thought I'd ask you...

What keeps you a fan of this team?
(Ignore me if you don't want to answer, that's okay too)