Offensive Line - 2023

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Carolina is known to have a good front too don't they, making the effort look even better. This was such a difference from last year's loss to the Panthers where the Hawks lost the battle up front on both sides.
HawkRiderFan,

Yeah, this offensive line is damaged right now by multiple injuries, yet it's also beginning to look like an embarrassment of riches at the same time, mainly because of how deep they are talent wise with their second team line.

Dave Wyman, former Seahawk's linebacker, even pointed out the obvious depth of this year's offensive line as a precursor to his story today on how well this team's half-backs recently played.

Consider me jealous, but I do believe that this offensive line's performance is being largely ignored by our local sports media since they are more concentrated on the Seattle Mariners playoffs potential.

Also, the free-stat-sites that I follow, haven't really reported in on Offensive Line play yet this season. No guarantee that they will, but I'm hoping they do once they have collected enough data on this season to report.

I'd really like to see these players have at least 10 to 12 healthy games together before entering any playoffs.

LT - Charles Cross
LG - Damien Lewis
OC - Evan Brown/Oluwatimi
RG - Anthony Bradford
RT - Abe Lucas
XT - Jake Curhan/Stone Forsythe

In my opinion, those eight players should be enough to push the ball 5 yards forwards against teams like Carolina, Kansas City, and even passed the 49'ers. Philadelphia, that's an another challenge...

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Week 4, Seahawks (2-1) at Giants (1-2), Monday Night Football (ESPN), Part I
The injury outlook has just gone from bad to worse this week, so why do I still feel upbeat about this position group?

LS - Chris Stoll: Continues to be the only healthy starting offensive lineman this team has, and he hasn't boogered any snaps that I am aware of. As an Undrafted Free Agent Rookie signing, he has been a real positive addition. Kudos!

TE - Noah Fant: Listed as questionable with a knee injury. Still on pace for about 550 receiving yards this season, which is slightly down a bit from his normal, but his current average of 12.1 yards per reception this season is his career best. If Fant does not play, then it's possible the opposing linebackers don't have to fall back and defend their passing flats as much, possibly putting more pressure on QB Geno Smith.

TE - Will Dissly: Listed as questionable with a shoulder injury. Still on pace for about 295 receiving yards, which would be the second best total of his career, he had a career best 349 receiving yards last season. In my opinion, Will Dissly is the only tight end this team has that can both chip block a defense end or edge player, make a timely catch, and rumble his way through the opposing team's backfield. Will Dissly reminds me of Zack Miller in a lot ways.

TE - Colby Parkinson: Full go with zero injuries that I know of. He's very quitely on pace for about 495 receiving yards this season. Opposing linebackers are not going to like that, and opposing safties aren't going to like it either. Plus, Colby Parkinson makes a lot of really good blocks down field. When the ball does find him, he's now averaging 14.5 yards per reception.

FB - Nick Bellore: Feels like the Hawk's haven't had a a real full back since the movie, 100 Million Years BC topped the charts in 1966, or was that 1967? More on this later...

HB - There are three: DeeJay Dallas, Ken Walker, Zach Charbonett, and all of them seem to be very willing to make the necessary blocks in the backfield. Granted, the bigger backs seem to be better at it, but there is no loss-of-effort in our team's smaller, and quicker half backs either. As a group, they have not disappointed me yet.

Those positions are my preferred Auxilary Blockers.
The "Ox" group.

When they are on & hitting on all cylinders, they have this amazing tendency to win games.
Guess we will see which team shows up on MNF?

Last edited:

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
FB - Nick Bellore: Feels like the Hawk's haven't had a a real full back since the movie, 100 Million Years BC topped the charts in 1966, or was that 1967? More on this later...
Objection! You are out of line, sir! Mack Strong was one of the last generation of true FBs in the league. He's a top 20 all-time Seahawk (IMO) and arguably the most unsung Hawk of all time as he was overshadowed by the All-World left side of the OL. Actively lead-blocked for 4 1000 yard rushers in Warner, Williams, Watters and Alexander. Five time Largent Award winner and made 2 Pro Bowls and 1 All Pro. Fourteen seasons of excellence from a UFA, dude should have his number retired.

I demand an apology!

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
To my untrained eyes, Stone played better than Curhan. Of the interior linemen, Brown's slightly above, with Haynes, Bradford, and Lewis more or less equal?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Considering that the Hawks have their starting OTs out the o line is playing pretty good

Pancake blocks is an unneeded stat. All an O linemen needs to do is to prevent the player he is going against to make the tackle. If every player on the offense did their job a TD would be scored on every play it wouldn’t matter what the defense does

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Objection! You are out of line, sir! Mack Strong was one of the last generation of true FBs in the league. He's a top 20 all-time Seahawk (IMO) and arguably the most unsung Hawk of all time as he was overshadowed by the All-World left side of the OL. Actively lead-blocked for 4 1000 yard rushers in Warner, Williams, Watters and Alexander. Five time Largent Award winner and made 2 Pro Bowls and 1 All Pro. Fourteen seasons of excellence from a UFA, dude should have his number retired.

I demand an apology!
My apologies, if you need them.
Yet you just made my point for me, as Mack Strong hasn't played since 2007, which is why it feels like a million years to me since the Hawk's have had a good full back.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
My apologies, if you need them.
Yet you just made my point for me, as Mack Strong hasn't played since 2007, which is why it feels like a million years to me since the Hawk's have had a good full back.
The way you stated your point was that we never had one, since your timeframe was a decade before the Hawks even existed.

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
To my untrained eyes, Stone played better than Curhan. Of the interior linemen, Brown's slightly above, with Haynes, Bradford, and Lewis more or less equal?
Hi toffee,

Regarding the back up tackles:
Generally speaking, I'd take Curhan over Forsythe, but a lot of it has to do with who the defense is lining up against the two.
Also, I didn't get to watch the last game (CBS & Dish Network spat). Stone has definitely gotten better with time.

Regarding the interior linemen:
I'll side with you on Even Brown being the best of the group so far this year. Damien Lewis & Phil Haynes are both good linemen, but I think Anthony Bradford is going to be better than both of them. Clone the man!

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
The way you stated your point was that we never had one, since your timeframe was a decade before the Hawks even existed.
@FattyKnuckle:

Simple misunderstanding, I think the two of us are mostly in agreement. My reference to the 1960's had to do with the movie, and not the last time the Hawk's had a good full back.

362c364f0321f1878e23fb47189cd156

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Week 4, Seahawks at Giants. Part II

Yesterday, I touched on the injury devastation to this team's offensive line, also wrote about the auxiliary blocking group, and asked why there is still reason to feel upbeat about this group overall. Let's review the linemen next...

LT 1 - Charles Cross: 2nd year starter is listed as Doubtful with a turf toe injury. Sounds small, but it's a tough injury to overcome. He needs the rest, and with next week being the bye, I don't expect to see Cross on the field tonight.

LT 2 - Stone Forsythe: Drafted by Seattle (6th round) in 2021, listed at 6'8" tall & 307 Lbs.
College Career: Finished career with 40 games played with 28 starts for the Gators, seeing time at both guard and tackle during his career. Appeared and started in all 12 games in 2020 and protected the blind side of Heisman Trophy finalist Kyle Trask to help the Gators lead the nation in passing yards per game (378.6), while ranking eighth nationally in yards per play (7.28) and ninth in yards per game (509.8). Named to the SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll following the season.
My Observation: Serviceable backup that has become better over the few years he has been with the team.

LG 1 - Damien Lewis: 4th year starter, and while not on the current injury list, he seems to be injured often, and then just plays through them. He has that warrior mentality, plus he's the best pulling guard the team has. If Lewis cannot complete tonight's game again, then Ben Brown is the likely candidate to relieve him, like last week.

LG 2 - Ben Brown: Entered the NFL as an Undrafted Free Agent in 2022, listed at 6'5" tall & 313 Lbs.
College Career: Played four seasons (2018-21) at the University of Mississippi after red shirting his freshman year in 2017. Started all 40 games played, playing three seasons at right guard and one (2020) at center. Suffered season-ending injury after starting first six games as a senior. Played 816 offensive snaps in 10 starts at center as a junior. Earned SEC All-Freshman Team honors after starting all 12 contests at right guard in 2018. Blocked for a passing offense that ranked fifth in the country in passing yards per game (346.4) and ninth in total yards per game (510.5).
My Observation: Sounds like a young man that can play, but he suffered his first injury at the exact wrong time.

OC 1 - Evan Brown: Signed by your Seattle Seahawk's this year, Brown's original path into the NFL was as an Undrafted Free Agent by the NY Giants in 2018. The Giants later cut & released Brown several times. So far this season, Brown has been a solid upgrade to what the Seahawk's fielded a the Center position last season (Austin Blythe). Unfortunately, he's listed as questionable for tonight's game because of a quadricepts injury. Next man up...

OC 2 - Olu Oluwatimi: Your Seahawk's 2023 5th Round Draft Pick. Listed at 6'3" tall & 309 Lbs.
College Career: Started 49 of 50 games played for Michigan (2022) and Virginia (2019-21). Began collegiate career at Air Force, but did not play. Won the Rimington Trophy, Outland Trophy and was named a second-team AP All-American following the 2022 season, allowing no sacks in 410 pass-block snaps. Named second-team All-ACC at Virginia (2021) and was honorable mention All-ACC in 2019.
My Observation: No sacks allowed in 410 snaps? This young man is going to get better with NFL experience. A LOT better!

RG 1 - Phil Haynes: Mostly a career backup at this position since the Seahawk's signed him in the 4th round of 2019, he's a good player when healthy. The often injured and non-productive RG Gabe Jackson was the proposed starter last season, but Haynes had to step in a lot, and now Haynes seems to be having injury troubles too this season. And so we go to...

RG 2 - Anthony Bradford: Seahawk's 4th round pick in 2023. Listed at 6'5 tall & 332 Lbs.
College Career: Started 17 of 29 games played for LSU over his four-year career (12 at right guard, five at left tackle). Played in 13 games with 12 starts (11 at RG, 1 at LT) in 2022. Played in six games with five starts in 2021 (one at right guard, four at left tackle). Member of LSU's national championship team in 2019.
My Observation: One of the strongest linemen I've seen this year, offense or defense, I like him already. A pancake maker!

RT 1 - Abe Lucas: Seahawk's 3rd Round Draft Pick in 2022, and projected second year starter here in 2023 is now on Injured Reserve due to a knee inury, and not able to return until after the Bye week. Dude is going to raise some hell later on.

RT 2 - Jake Curhan: Another 3 Year Unrestricted Free Agent the Hawks signed in 2021. Listed at 6'6" tall & 316 Lbs.
College Career: Started 40 of 42 games at right tackle during his Bears career. Was a two-time honorable mention All-Pac-12 selection in his final two campaigns as a 2019 junior and 2020 senior. Had a string of 39 consecutive starts snapped when he did not start at Oregon State due to COVID-19 protocols but did return to the starting lineup for his final career game. Honored with the Pac-12's annual academic recognition for three consecutive seasons as a second-team Pac-12 All-Academic selection as both a redshirt freshman and sophomore, as well as a member of the league's initial Pac-12 Academic Honor Roll. Named Cal's winner of the Brick Muller Award as its most valuable lineman on offense as a junior. A three-year varsity starter at Redwood High from 2013-15 who didn't begin playing football until he was a sophomore in 2013. Earned first-team All-State Medium School honors from Cal-Hi Sports, San Francisco All-Metro honors and was named the Marin County Athletic League Lineman of the Year as a 2015 senior after moving to left tackle and anchoring the offensive line for a team that averaged 212.9 yards per game on the ground. Also played on the defensive line as a senior and had team highs of 6.0 sacks as well as the team's lone safety for a squad that reached the North Coast Section Division II playoffs for the first time during his prep career. Also played one season of basketball as a sophomore in 2013-14 and participated in 26 games. Graduated from Cal in December of 2020 with a bachelor's degree in business administration.
My Observation: An Offensive Right Tackle, with six sacks on defense? I think he can move his feet around well enough.
Solid player.

Summary: I'm only a Hawk's fan that enjoys watching good offensive line play, and while I have been watching this team for almost 5 decades now, this current group of offensive players happens to excite me the most. If you don't agree, please keep your comments to yourself. Just kidding, jump in anytime and tell me why! (Laughs)

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score

Yesterday, I touched on the injury devastation to this team's offensive line, also wrote about the auxiliary blocking group, and asked why there is still reason to feel upbeat about this group overall. Let's review the linemen next...

LT 1 - Charles Cross: 2nd year starter is listed as Doubtful with a turf toe injury. Sounds small, but it's a tough injury to overcome. He needs the rest, and with next week being the bye, I don't expect to see Cross on the field tonight.

LT 2 - Stone Forsythe: Drafted by Seattle (6th round) in 2021, listed at 6'8" tall & 307 Lbs.
College Career: Finished career with 40 games played with 28 starts for the Gators, seeing time at both guard and tackle during his career. Appeared and started in all 12 games in 2020 and protected the blind side of Heisman Trophy finalist Kyle Trask to help the Gators lead the nation in passing yards per game (378.6), while ranking eighth nationally in yards per play (7.28) and ninth in yards per game (509.8). Named to the SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll following the season.
My Observation: Serviceable backup that has become better over the few years he has been with the team.

LG 1 - Damien Lewis: 4th year starter, and while not on the current injury list, he seems to be injured often, and then just plays through them. He has that warrior mentality, plus he's the best pulling guard the team has. If Lewis cannot complete tonight's game again, then Ben Brown is the likely candidate to relieve him, like last week.

LG 2 - Ben Brown: Entered the NFL as an Undrafted Free Agent in 2022, listed at 6'5" tall & 313 Lbs.
College Career: Played four seasons (2018-21) at the University of Mississippi after red shirting his freshman year in 2017. Started all 40 games played, playing three seasons at right guard and one (2020) at center. Suffered season-ending injury after starting first six games as a senior. Played 816 offensive snaps in 10 starts at center as a junior. Earned SEC All-Freshman Team honors after starting all 12 contests at right guard in 2018. Blocked for a passing offense that ranked fifth in the country in passing yards per game (346.4) and ninth in total yards per game (510.5).
My Observation: Sounds like a young man that can play, but he suffered his first injury at the exact wrong time.

OC 1 - Evan Brown: Signed by your Seattle Seahawk's this year, Brown's original path into the NFL was as an Undrafted Free Agent by the NY Giants in 2018. The Giants later cut & released Brown several times. So far this season, Brown has been a solid upgrade to what the Seahawk's fielded a the Center position last season (Austin Blythe). Unfortunately, he's listed as questionable for tonight's game because of a quadricepts injury. Next man up...

OC 2 - Olu Oluwatimi: Your Seahawk's 2023 5th Round Draft Pick. Listed at 6'3" tall & 309 Lbs.
College Career: Started 49 of 50 games played for Michigan (2022) and Virginia (2019-21). Began collegiate career at Air Force, but did not play. Won the Rimington Trophy, Outland Trophy and was named a second-team AP All-American following the 2022 season, allowing no sacks in 410 pass-block snaps. Named second-team All-ACC at Virginia (2021) and was honorable mention All-ACC in 2019.
My Observation: No sacks allowed in 410 snaps? This young man is going to get better with NFL experience. A LOT better!

RG 1 - Phil Haynes: Mostly a career backup at this position since the Seahawk's signed him in the 4th round of 2019, he's a good player when healthy. The often injured and non-productive RG Gabe Jackson was the proposed starter last season, but Haynes had to step in a lot, and now Haynes seems to be having injury troubles too this season. And so we go to...

RG 2 - Anthony Bradford: Seahawk's 4th round pick in 2023. Listed at 6'5 tall & 332 Lbs.
College Career: Started 17 of 29 games played for LSU over his four-year career (12 at right guard, five at left tackle). Played in 13 games with 12 starts (11 at RG, 1 at LT) in 2022. Played in six games with five starts in 2021 (one at right guard, four at left tackle). Member of LSU's national championship team in 2019.
My Observation: One of the strongest linemen I've seen this year, offense or defense, I like him already. A pancake maker!

RT 1 - Abe Lucas: Seahawk's 3rd Round Draft Pick in 2022, and projected second year starter here in 2023 is now on Injured Reserve due to a knee inury, and not able to return until after the Bye week. Dude is going to raise some hell later on.

RT 2 - Jake Curhan: Another 3 Year Unrestricted Free Agent the Hawks signed in 2021. Listed at 6'6" tall & 316 Lbs.
College Career: Started 40 of 42 games at right tackle during his Bears career. Was a two-time honorable mention All-Pac-12 selection in his final two campaigns as a 2019 junior and 2020 senior. Had a string of 39 consecutive starts snapped when he did not start at Oregon State due to COVID-19 protocols but did return to the starting lineup for his final career game. Honored with the Pac-12's annual academic recognition for three consecutive seasons as a second-team Pac-12 All-Academic selection as both a redshirt freshman and sophomore, as well as a member of the league's initial Pac-12 Academic Honor Roll. Named Cal's winner of the Brick Muller Award as its most valuable lineman on offense as a junior. A three-year varsity starter at Redwood High from 2013-15 who didn't begin playing football until he was a sophomore in 2013. Earned first-team All-State Medium School honors from Cal-Hi Sports, San Francisco All-Metro honors and was named the Marin County Athletic League Lineman of the Year as a 2015 senior after moving to left tackle and anchoring the offensive line for a team that averaged 212.9 yards per game on the ground. Also played on the defensive line as a senior and had team highs of 6.0 sacks as well as the team's lone safety for a squad that reached the North Coast Section Division II playoffs for the first time during his prep career. Also played one season of basketball as a sophomore in 2013-14 and participated in 26 games. Graduated from Cal in December of 2020 with a bachelor's degree in business administration.
My Observation: An Offensive Right Tackle, with sacks? I think he can move his feet around well enough. Solid player.

Summary: I'm only a Hawk's fan that enjoys watching good offensive line play, and while I have been watching this team for almost 5 decades now, this current group of offensive players happens to excite me the most. If you don't agree, please keep your comments to yourself. Just kidding, jump in anytime and tell me why! (Laughs)
Thanks for the review. On Curhan, I thought he played better than expected in his rookie season, our running game became more potent in the games that he played, although his pass blocking was terrible. Schneider therefore surprised me by drafting Lucas, but it was a pleasant surprise. According to PFF, his running blocking (62.3) remain adequate, his pass blocking still lacking about huge improvement over his rookie campaign (51.7 vs 31.2)

toffee

Reaction score
Again, PFF's subjective opinions. Our OL so far has been OK with pass blocking but not so much for run blocking. Our RB1, RB2 and TEs are good at pass blocking too. LOL, our best run blocker according to PFF is one Jake Bobo.

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Thanks for the review. On Curhan, I thought he played better than expected in his rookie season, our running game became more potent in the games that he played, although his pass blocking was terrible. Schneider therefore surprised me by drafting Lucas, but it was a pleasant surprise. According to PFF, his running blocking (62.3) remain adequate, his pass blocking still lacking about huge improvement over his rookie campaign (51.7 vs 31.2)
toffee,

RT Curhan gets beat at times, your point is well founded, and I see it too, but he does not get abused all game long like some others tackles get abused. You could say the same for Stone Forsythe.

Our NFC West opponents have been loaded with premium pass rushers since Curhan joined the league, and some of those pass rushers move around a lot, just hunting for a back up tackle with few recent reps for them to destroy.

RT Abe Lucas is definitely looking like the long-term future solution to the RT position, and I am glad you brought that subject up as well, because I don't think a lot of other team's in this league have an Abe Lucas. Giants didn't! 😏

Maybe we should be talking more about the Offensive Line Coach? Andy Dickerson, has done a better job with this group than I have ever seen previously. Probably a topic that deserves it's own thread though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Again, PFF's subjective opinions. Our OL so far has been OK with pass blocking but not so much for run blocking. Our RB1, RB2 and TEs are good at pass blocking too. LOL, our best run blocker according to PFF is one Jake Bobo.

View attachment 60938
Wow! Seeing Bobo grade out as the team's best run blocker is a surprise!

Other PFF Surprises:
  • G Anthony Bradford grades out at 48.3?
  • T Raiqwon O'Neil grades out at 60.0?
In what universe does this take place?

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score

My Observation: An Offensive Right Tackle, with six sacks on defense? I think he can move his feet around well enough.
Solid player.

Summary: I'm only a Hawk's fan that enjoys watching good offensive line play, and while I have been watching this team for almost 5 decades now, this current group of offensive players happens to excite me the most. If you disagree, that is fine, but please stick with the Offensive Line / blocking topic. There are a lot of variables.

I'm just very proud of this second team Offensive Line.
They deserve a lot more respect than they are currently receiving, that is my humble opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
I found this interesting tid-bid of information on the Seahawks official site just now:

"According to ESPN Analytics weekly offensive calculations, Seattle’s offensive line rank No.11 league-wide with a 60 percent pass block win rate, despite the injuries. In limited action, Bradford has climbed to No. 15 of all interior linemen with a 95 percent pass block win rate, with 42 wins out of 44 passing downs. Coach Pete Carroll commented on the progression of his 2023 fourth round selection by-way-of LSU."

Here's the link (good read)

JPatera76

Reaction score
Man i gotta admit, I’ve really enjoyed reading your Oline posts and what not. Pretty informative and well done. Reminds me of a former poster @kearly and his random thought posts and what not. Very insightful and knowledgeable poster. Thoroughly enjoyed reading his posts as i find myself doing with yours. Thank you!