Avril and Bennett could give Panthers' solid OL problems

hawk45

Reaction score
Bennett and Avril have been monsters all year though, without some push up the middle it hasn't been amounting to much.

Also, do we turn them loose against Cam knowing he can just step up and through and run for 20?

carolinablue

Reaction score
Yeah Bennett is a beast and could be a problem for us. Avril is good too but I'm more worried about Bennett.

SupersonicSeahawkz

Reaction score
We must take into account that Bobby Wagner was not playing in that game, so Seattle defense played with LB out of position with KJ moving to the middle and a back up in KJ OLB position.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
carolinablue":242a1rac said:
Yeah Bennett is a beast and could be a problem for us. Avril is good too but I'm more worried about Bennett.

It's interesting because Bennett had a quiet game against you guys earlier in the season, while Avril rampaged.

hawk45

Reaction score
It's definitely nice that there is a bit of a weakness on the edge right where our strength lines up. If the mismatches get too unbalanced, things can change in a hurry. Similar to how the mismatches in the middle with the Rams just kill our offense.

kearly

Reaction score
I sure hope so. Newton was sacked three times but he generally had all day to throw for most of the game. The big challenge will be pressuring Newton without allowing him to counter a broken pocket with a huge scramble. And like Andrew Luck and Big Ben, Newton is one of the harder QBs to physically put on the ground because of his size and strength.

Carolina has one of the more under-rated OL in the league this season (after being pretty bad in 2014). They win the point of attack in the run game and they are very tough against an interior pass rush. They are a little weak against speed rushers, which is why Avril and Irvin have had good games against them in the past.

hawk45

Reaction score
Clark and Hill could both be factors in the middle I'm hoping.

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":30bct6kj said:
I sure hope so. Newton was sacked three times but he generally had all day to throw for most of the game. The big challenge will be pressuring Newton without allowing him to counter a broken pocket with a huge scramble.

Yeah, they really do have to be careful about it. Bruce had a nice sack off of the edge against them. I'd be careful with the stunts.

carolinablue

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1pkhg380 said:
carolinablue":1pkhg380 said:

It's interesting because Bennett had a quiet game against you guys earlier in the season, while Avril rampaged.
I think we did alright against both of them last time. But this is another week. I just think Bennett is better but I haven't watched your team as much as you have so I could be wrong.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Bennett is better which isn't a slight on Avril because he's close. Bennett can get caught out of position because he takes chances but he generally hits. Clark is the wild card this week. He could make a big impact on passing downs.

Seafan

Reaction score
Every member of the defense is playing better now. Every one. Earl, Kam, Richard, Jeremy, Deshawn, Kelce, KJ, Bobby, Bruce, Michael, Cliff, Frank, Jordan, Cassius, Ahtyba, Brandon, Demarcus and Marcus. They are all playing better.

Several weeks ago I was feeling the defense would never be as good as it was back in 2013 but these guys are really stepping up their individual games and coming together and playing Seahawk defense like we all love.

And obviously the same can be said for the offense except they are actually better than they have ever been in 40 years. I never would have thought with this OL, without Marshawn, Jimmy, Tommy, Paul and Ricardo that this offense could be doing what it is doing.

This season has been amazing and this team has been building toward a crescendo much like it did in 2013.

Last week was a blip.

Largent80

Reaction score
The Seahawks played way better in the middle last Sunday, hopefully that was a building block for this Sunday. I'm just glad we had another game to prepare while they were watching.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The X factor here is Wagner. Cam had never done well against this team until Wagner was out. Irvin had usually been his bane because Wagner kept him spied well. Against us this year, Cam had room.

That's gone now. Wagner won't be locked down too terribly with pursuing Carolina's overrated receivers and should have a little more freedom to spy. The beneficiaries should again be Irvin, Avril, and Bennett.

dogorama

Reaction score
Their effectiveness will probably boil down to how effective the Panther's run game is. Stewart is coming back and can be a force with his powerful style. I want to force Cam to beat us with his arm by shutting down the run. He'll make some passes but in the end, he'll implode.

themunn

Reaction score
dogorama":tn6f9hr9 said:
Their effectiveness will probably boil down to how effective the Panther's run game is. Stewart is coming back and can be a force with his powerful style. I want to force Cam to beat us with his arm by shutting down the run. He'll make some passes but in the end he'll implode.

And that's playing into a relative strength of ours, particularly over the last 8 games.

In the first 9 games of the season we allowed over 100YPG to opposing rushers (including a season high of 135 to the Panthers, which is a significant reason we lost that game), but over the last 8 games (incl. playoffs) we've allowed a rather insane 57.1YPG (compared to our league-leading average of 81.5 YPG), with only two games actually breaking the 60 yard mark (94 to the Browns and 102 to the Rams).
If the run defense can maintain its awesome standard against a player who hasn't played in a month (I realise we can say the same of Lynch), then I'm confident we'll have a relatively easy win.
If we can't hold back their run game it will be a long long day - after all, the Panthers did finish with one of the strongest run games in the league, due in part to the legs of Newton (though historically we've always dealt with mobile QBs quite well)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I wish they would consider moving Bennett inside. I believe it has a couple of big upsides-

1) Better interior pass rush
2) Cut down on Bennett's offside penalties.

In the past Cam Newton has withered when pressured and hit hard...the Seahawks need to hit him hard this game. Olson is the only dangerous receiver on the team. Ginn is hands of stone, who the hell is Corey Brown, and Funchess isn't a threat. Even if it takes two, blanket the hell out of Olson. The rest are not threats.

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawk45":1m7n6ovo said:
Clark and Hill could both be factors in the middle I'm hoping.

Jordan Hill is very underrated. I doubt the stats represent just how much he effects the middle with his quickness.

At to that, Tuba plugging up the middle then chasing the ball down no matter how far away it is! I mean, he managed to recover the Adrian Peterson fumble! That happened in the secondary with ET and Kam there. Dude runs all over the field and I've never seen anything like it! He's really good and that's why Holmgren paid him so much money in Cleveland. What a steal we got!

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3f6qnfio said:
I wish they would consider moving Bennett inside. I believe it has a couple of big upsides-

1) Better interior pass rush
2) Cut down on Bennett's offside penalties.

In the past Cam Newton has withered when pressured and hit hard...the Seahawks need to hit him hard this game. Olson is the only dangerous receiver on the team. Ginn is hands of stone, who the hell is Corey Brown, and Funchess isn't a threat. Even if it takes two, blanket the hell out of Olson. The rest are not threats.

Bennett often plays inside. Part of his greatness is his ability go inside and out.

Permanently inside would handicap the D and his effectiveness.