Bruce Irvin free agent market

saroos

Reaction score
Bruce just tweeted Vinny Curry set the free agent market for him. Curry got 5 years for 47.5 mil. I believe we have seen the last of Bruce in a Seahawks uni.

Edit: by staff.

Bruce Irvin tweeted a Response to somebody else's tweet about the Curry Deal.

McGruff

Reaction score
First, that's a crazy stupid contract for Curry.

Second, Curry is a true DE. Irvin is a olb. Apples and oranges.

HawkGA

Reaction score
More power to you if you can get it Bruce. Would never begrudge somebody making bank like that.

2_0_6

Reaction score
When we signed both KJ & Bobby and didn't pick up his option, the writing was on the wall. I love Bruuuuuuce, but the NFL is a business, and money trumps all. He needs to go get paid and raise his family.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":olutd1v3 said:
When we signed both KJ & Bobby and didn't pick up his option, the writing was on the wall. I love Bruuuuuuce, but the NFL is a business, and money trumps all. He needs to go get paid and raise his family.

...and you can't manage to raise a family on $4 million a year?

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Lol right... I love reading shit like that.. You all realize most people retire w 2-3 mill ...

Rob12

Reaction score
4 years, 51 tackles,16.5 sacks will net a guy nearly $10M a season?

Wow. Looks like a really huge overpay.

If I'm Mike Bennett, I'm looking even more forward to sitting down with Pete and John.

kf3339

Reaction score
I think he is pricing himself off this team. He is a good player, but will get far more from a desperate team.

We can replace him in the draft.

Rob12

Reaction score
My mind is honestly a bit blown...

52 career games, 51 solo tackles,16.5 sacks.

5 years, $47.25M, $23M guaranteed.

Doesn't that seem a bit bat **** crazy?

Rob12

Reaction score
Well, I guess numbers don't always tell the whole story.

Curry and Irvin are not completely direct matches as players.The 6-3, 279-pound Curry is listed as a defensive end and one reason the Eagles signed him to a deal that Corry said is higher than expected is that they are moving back to a 4-3 defense, where they figure Curry will flourish.

“He’s the best pure pass rusher on the team,’’ Corry said. In fact, Pro Football Focus assessed that Curry was able to get pressure on a quarterback more often in 2015 than any other 3-4 defensive end except for Houston’s J.J. Watt.

Bruce gone.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Irvin is very good in spurts, he occasionally has a breakout game but usually is just a good solid player. If he is looking for over 9 million a year then he is crazy. He would be higher paid than Avril, Bennett and KJ Wright who all have outperformed him by a long shot. He has been a better LB than he has ever been a pass rusher. I think he was a good draft pick and has really done a good job for us but he is not a superstar and has not shown me where he has any chance of being elite. He is a great fit in a great defense. He is a 5-6 million a year guy, anything more than that is a huge overpay. After that tweet I fine saying good bye Bruce also.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Of course it would be great for Seahawks fans if Bruce wanted to play for the team at a hefty discount but he absolutely has the right to chase the money. This could easily be his first (and last) big contract and he's already won a Super Bowl and been to another. He'll have the rest of his life to spend whatever he earns now and if he can get $20 million guaranteed from some team then he should jump all over it.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks can get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick. There was talk they'd try to move Marsh to OLB. Th Hawks likely made their decision last year.

sutz

Reaction score
Seafan":qwmzqbjt said:
The Hawks can get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick. There was talk they'd try to move Marsh to OLB. Th Hawks likely made their decision last year.
They may not have actually made the decision, but they certainly prepared for it. ;)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Meh.. Not sure he'll get what Curry signed, but he'll get more that the Hawks will offer him. Curry is expected to flourish once the Eag's go to a 4-3 scheme. Bruce is expected to do better in a 3-4, or in a hybrid role that Quinn or Pete would understand, so I'm not quite buying it when Bruce or anyone else imply that Curry and he are similar in skillset.

CentralPAHawkFan

Reaction score
If I am reading his twitter correctly, it looks like someone at ESPN (Gee Scott) tweeted that and not Bruce. Just to be fair.

Now, it may not mean much of anything, as he may very well be priced out of Seattle...Something tells me a team will overpay for him as most teams do every yr for pass rushers.

I just can't see us locking up anymore premium $$$ in the LB position, but just my humble opinion. KJ and Bobby already got paid, so Irvin may not get an offer close to what he wants from Seattle. But, I am not John Schneider, so who knows.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1km47vg5 said:
Hawk_Nation":1km47vg5 said:

...and you can't manage to raise a family on $4 million a year?

After agent fees & taxes, the actual amount he would be getting is nowhere near $4 million.

When your 28, play a game that has very little guaranteed money long term that has a huge potential for a permanent serious injury, you need to get all you can. If your job offered you $4 million and a competitor offered $7 million for the same exact job, nobody in their right mind would say no.