Bobby Wagner is a machine

Polk738

Reaction score
Seriously, is there another 4-3 linebacker in the league playing any better? the guy is a tackling monster and will more than likely break the franchise record for tackles, he should be a serious consideration for DPOY.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think he's the front runner for DPOY. The best player on the league's best defense for five years running. Honorable mention goes to Cliff Avril (who is playing out of his mind), Richard Sherman, and Earl Thomas. But it seems to me that Bobby sets the tone for this defense and we've seen in the past how this defense struggles without him (much like they do without Kam).

Bobby Wagner is the best linebacker I've ever seen in a Hawks uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidess

Reaction score
Bobby wagner has been lights out. I like Wagner and Landon Collins (NYG) as DPOY. Both have been playing great this season.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
None of the pass rushing OLBs really stands out from the pack so I doubt any of them will win DPOY. Although if Von Miller leads the league in sacks at the end of the season he might get the nod due to name recognition and continued dominance. I don't think there's any D-linemen who are really in the running. Avril is by far the best D-linemen this season and he isn't generating nearly as much buzz as Wagner.

Wagner's main competition right now is definitely Landon Collins. 80 tackles, 3 sacks and a league leading 5 INTs is really impressive.

hawker84

Reaction score
I think Bobby's been playing lights out, and should be considered one of the best defenders in the league this season no doubt. But correct me if I'm wrong, usually you need those sexy stats to win DPOY, sacks, interceptions, caused fumbles, tackles is great but I don't think it's the WOW factor voters look at?

I could see them putting Avril ahead of Bobby to be honest, I believe he's actually leading the league in sacks to this point, correct?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Luke Kuechly won the DPOY right? Bobby is about as good if not better than Kuechly. Currently, he's #1 in tackles in the NFL. http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/player-stats/sp-vw-defense

What hurts Bobby from a national perspective is the other overall talent the Seahawk defense has. Kuechly stands out because the rest of the Panther defense, other than Thomas Davis, is nothing to brag about. Wagner plays with Kam, Sherman, Bennett, Avril, etc. Therefore he may get a little less respect than others. We see the difference Bobby makes to the Seahawks D. They are not the same without him in there.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Seahawks don't get those awards as the voters justify excluding them due to the rest of the talent on the team.

Wagner is awesome though.

kpak76

Reaction score
I'm guessing the only thing Wagz cares about this year is getting another SB ring. I'd gladly trade in DPOY honors for another ring.

hawker84

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1halmkeu said:
Luke Kuechly won the DPOY right? Bobby is about as good if not better than Kuechly. Currently, he's #1 in tackles in the NFL. http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/player-stats/sp-vw-defense

What hurts Bobby from a national perspective is the other overall talent the Seahawk defense has. Kuechly stands out because the rest of the Panther defense, other than Thomas Davis, is nothing to brag about. Wagner plays with Kam, Sherman, Bennett, Avril, etc. Therefore he may get a little less respect than others. We see the difference Bobby makes to the Seahawks D. They are not the same without him in there.

He's playing at his level this year, but Kuechly was clearly the best all around LB in the league last year, and deserved every bit of that award.

As far as his play this year, true we see it, the announcers calling our games on Sunday's see it, the National talking heads, do not, all they see is the LOB. Which means he rarely gets talked about as a single player on that D, and when he does it's more about an outstanding play, like the blocked FG or a pick.

I think Kuechly earned that award last year, because he had at least 2 or 3 pick 6's, not to mention all the other turnovers and tackles he had.

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
Kuechly is probably a better coverage LB than Bobby hence the more passes defensed but that is really the only category he beats him in. I would like to see him get in on more blitzes, I think thats where he's really upped his game this year.

Jville

Reaction score
IIRC Kuechly has benefited from having big 2-gap linemen in front of him to keep him clean to make plays. Historically, Kuechly has had a big advantage in that regard. .

This year, Bobby Wagner is benefiting from the work of the big defensive tackles in front of him. I think they are keeping him cleaner to make plays this year. Seattle's underappreciated defensive tackles for 2016 are having a good year in that regard. :2thumbs:

Steve2222

Reaction score
Overseasfan":x1gapkk5 said:
None of the pass rushing OLBs really stands out from the pack so I doubt any of them will win DPOY. Although if Von Miller leads the league in sacks at the end of the season he might get the nod due to name recognition and continued dominance. I don't think there's any D-linemen who are really in the running. Avril is by far the best D-linemen this season and he isn't generating nearly as much buzz as Wagner.

Wagner's main competition right now is definitely Landon Collins. 80 tackles, 3 sacks and a league leading 5 INTs is really impressive.

Aaron Donald is still in the league. Not only is Aaron Donald the best DL in the game, he's the best defensive player in the league.

However, Bobby Wagner is definitely in the running. He's the best MLB in the game. Always have thought he is better than Kuechley. Wagner is criminally underrated.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Seems that Bobby always get edged out by somebody. Agree that Donald is in poll position right now.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Bucs coach Koetter:

(On what makes Bobby Wagner such a good player...) “He can do everything. He’s leading the league in tackles. A lot of linebackers are not good blitzers. They bring him a lot, he’s a very good blitzer, he’s slippery, powerful and he can cover. There’s plenty of linebackers in this league that can’t cover very well. He covers like a safety, rushes like a d-end and tackles like a middle linebacker. Pretty good combination.”

uncle fester

Reaction score
When Wagner was drafted, I thought 'that's a solid pick-up, happy there', as he'd fit well with Leroy Hill (remember him?) but no way did I envisage him morphing into the player he is today. As others have said above, he's easily overlooked/underestimated because of the other names on this defense. It's when he's not in the lineup that we tend to notice the effect more sharply.

Side note: Aaron Donald is a freak. By far my favourite non-Seahawk in the league. Went to check the Draft for a Coulda-Woulda-Shoulda revision - our Pick 1 was already with Minny for Percy. Ah well. Imagine this defense with Donald in there though...

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Steve2222":vpqpyii3 said:
Overseasfan":vpqpyii3 said:

Aaron Donald is still in the league. Not only is Aaron Donald the best DL in the game, he's the best defensive player in the league.

However, Bobby Wagner is definitely in the running. He's the best MLB in the game. Always have thought he is better than Kuechley. Wagner is criminally underrated.

JJ Watt is definitely the best DL in the game and the best defensive player in the league, but Donald is not far behind and a DPOY candidate. Feels like every year it's JJ Watt's award to lose; dude gets double or triple teamed every play and still manages 20+ sack seasons and he has like no help on his defense. I think Wagner & Kuechly were close early on, and then Kuechly separated himself a bit, but Wagner has definitely closed the gap with this season. They're both amazing players.

Outside of the names already mentioned like Collins, Miller, Wagner and Donald, I think Marcus Peters and Khalil Mack definitely are in contention