Wilson last night

Uncle Si

Reaction score
19-26 for 229, 3 TDs and one late INT that made no sense as a play call or throw.

Thoughts on his "bounce back" performance last night?

zchurch74

Reaction score
He played OK. With the Rams defense we need more play calls for Russ to get rid of the ball quicker. We need more jet sweeps, quick screens, and quick slants.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":mpmx15ra said:
Uncle Si":mpmx15ra said:
19-26 for 229, 3 TDs and one late INT that made no sense as a play call or throw.

Watching the play live and then watching the replay, it looks like Wilson thought the defense was offsides and that it was a free play. Makes a little more sense to throw it up in that situation.

I just didn't like the play call. 3rd and 20 in a 21 point game in the 4th. Just run the WR screen to Lockett or something similar and kick the FG.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He threw it thinking it was a free play so I get that. Hated the initial play call though too. Odd game overall and hard for me to process. Blew out a team that always plays you very well but it just didn't feel right.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
austinslater25":3242mbx4 said:
He threw it thinking it was a free play so I get that. Hated the initial play call though too. Odd game overall and hard for me to process. Blew out a team that always plays you very well but it just didn't feel right.

Maybe the residual effect from the GB game?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3u52wxly said:
austinslater25":3u52wxly said:

Maybe the residual effect from the GB game?

I know, what's up with this feeling? We beat a team that always play us hard, has won the last 3, we beat them handily, but why am I not jubilant? :179419:

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2y6niouz said:
FlyHawksFly":2y6niouz said:
Uncle Si":2y6niouz said:

Watching the play live and then watching the replay, it looks like Wilson thought the defense was offsides and that it was a free play. Makes a little more sense to throw it up in that situation.

I just didn't like the play call. 3rd and 20 in a 21 point game in the 4th. Just run the WR screen to Lockett or something similar and kick the FG.

And you are right. An odd play within another odd game.

Hawks won, but beyond the perpetual pom-pom crowd, a whole lot of us fans are feeling underwhelmed by what we saw last night.

Our team still doesn't feel "right" - and given the Sherman commentary, the Baldwin stuff, etc., something is brewing among our guys.

Hope it's sorted out soon so we can make a real run into the post-season, but those who are concerned are right to be so.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think that based on how the game was going you are fine with that throw. Make them go 90 yards at a point where clock is more important than points. Risk with a field goal is much higher there. I doubt they kick it if he doesn't convert

McGruff

Reaction score
semiahmoo":n91zz309 said:
Uncle Si":n91zz309 said:
FlyHawksFly":n91zz309 said:
Uncle Si":n91zz309 said:

Hawks won, but beyond the perpetual pom-pom crowd, a whole lot of us fans are feeling underwhelmed by what we saw last night.

Our team still doesn't feel "right" - and given the Sherman commentary, the Baldwin stuff, etc., something is brewing among our guys.

Hope it's sorted out soon so we can make a real run into the post-season, but those who are concerned are right to be so.

You will see whatever you focus on.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1efjkep3 said:
Uncle Si":1efjkep3 said:
FlyHawksFly":1efjkep3 said:
Uncle Si":1efjkep3 said:

"Us" fans?

Who are you speaking for? And who was underwhelmed by this team's biggest victory over its arch nemesis in the last 4 years?

These are absurd assumptions.

SirTed

Reaction score
Probably the worst 3 touchdown game RW will ever have. ;)

But in all seriousness, even though the numbers were there, he just didn't look confident to me. There was even one play where he seemed to express his opinion about the playcall (the horrible shotgun pitch to Rawls), which you never see.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
mikeak":2l6903zm said:
I think that based on how the game was going you are fine with that throw. Make them go 90 yards at a point where clock is more important than points. Risk with a field goal is much higher there. I doubt they kick it if he doesn't convert

Possible. They were pinned down on the opposite end of the field so it worked out for the Hawks. Perhaps because it seemed such a poor throw by Wilson, and he's had so many of those of late, it led to a lot of what the hell was that?reactions.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2nck7d8k said:
mikeak":2nck7d8k said:

Possible. They were pinned down on the opposite end of the field so it worked out for the Hawks. Perhaps because it seemed such a poor throw by Wilson, and he's had so many of those of late, it led to a lot of what the hell was that?reactions.

Couldn't help yourself could you...

pcbball12

Reaction score
semiahmoo":15ctupk0 said:
Uncle Si":15ctupk0 said:
FlyHawksFly":15ctupk0 said:
Uncle Si":15ctupk0 said:

Name the last time you felt good after a Rams game? Even in SB winning year both games were ugly as hell. It is a team that just is a matchup nightmare upfront for us and it will be ugly damn near every time we play them. Even with it not being pretty, we beat them by 3 scores...something they haven't done in how long? We haven't even beat that team in over a year, how can anyone have expected a pretty, flawless game? I don't care who blew them out in prior week. We've seen it for years, no matter how bad the rams are they always play us tough. Even the year we won the SB...which everyone thinks we just sailed through that year with zero bumps. Unreal

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
The Rams defense was decimated by injuries. I thought he would light them up. Game was just OK for him, and I will gladly take OK after complete horse crap.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Good, but not great.

Still seemed a little off, especially early. If this was golf I'd say Russell has a case of the yips. Maybe tight? Overthinking? idk, but definitely not his usual confident self making quick decisions and being one of the most accurate throwers in the NFL.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The Rams D is still a major force to be reckoned with, but: The Hawks OL fared better against them this time than back in week 2. That there has been improvement is encouraging, it sure beats the opposite.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23ssiznz said:
Good, but not great.

Still seemed a little off, especially early. If this was golf I'd say Russell has a case of the yips. Maybe tight? Overthinking? idk, but definitely not his usual confident self making quick decisions and being one of the most accurate throwers in the NFL.

I agree with the feeling, but he was 19-26 ...

Didn't feel like "bounce back" did it?

Seymour

Reaction score
Nice to see Russell bounce back, but there is something not right with him still IMO. He is still missing some easy throws that were never an issue in the past. He is throwing off his back foot, and at times has a little hitch in his throw just prior to making the throw. I think this is shell shock still from getting abused. Also, I'm not the least bit surprised he had a pick throwing it to o fer Kearse in the red zone. One other thing. Ifedi is terrible, and getting abused far too often. Stick your arm out and don't move your feet to stop Aaron Donald?? Sadness.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1umpx86o said:
Good, but not great.

Yips is a great analogy.

His timing/confidence seems out of sync a bit.

Wasn't the bounce back I'm sure we'd all like to see, but it was a win, so we'll take it and hope to see a better outing next time.

Latest posts