Wilson last night

Reaction score
I think he played ok. I think hes arm strength is lacking a little and hes floating balls a lot. Like that play to Lockett I didnt think the ball was going to get there. His accuracy is a tad off at times too. Maybe because he is worried about the offensive line play. Maybe multiple injuries are infecting his throws a little. What ever it is his passes just dont look the same. He used to have a gun now he is struggling with the long ball a little in my eyes. Could be just me but he just looks a little off lately. Hopefully he is just going thru something and it doesnt continue. Is it just me or does it look like his long throws are floating a lot. I have seen multiple games this year where his accuracy hasn't been the best. Love Russ tho but hopefully its just something he is going thru and its not a permanent thing in his game.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
If you take out that interception he played a great game against a front 7 that use to terrorized him. He thought it was a free play on that interception, you can see that he hated that he threw it and got nothing out of it.

If you added all the hits and sacks Wilson have been getting from the Rams Dline of course I wouldn't feel as confident playing against them knowing the history.

People should be surprised we put up that many points against them, even when Aaron Donald was going through our offensive line like a hot knife through butter.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
We had no Lynch and no Rawls when Wilson and Baldwin went on a record setting streak to close out last year.

Injury and the refusal to adjust the game plan to account for our weaknesses has given us the inconsistency we have suffered from this year.

Wilson has always struggled with accuracy on the long ball, this struggle is largely masked by his receivers adjusting to his under thrown balls. Occasionally he will hit the receiver in stride, but not at an elite level, nor at the highlight level many seem to credit him with here.

If I were an opposing DB coach I would definitely have my guy cut under those long routes. I think we are seeing opposing DBs start to do that.

lobohawk

Reaction score
SirTed":vjeebeh7 said:
Probably the worst 3 touchdown game RW will ever have. ;)

But in all seriousness, even though the numbers were there, he just didn't look confident to me. There was even one play where he seemed to express his opinion about the playcall (the horrible shotgun pitch to Rawls), which you never see.

Noticed that also. Exasperated at the futility of those run plays.

jhoeHawk

Reaction score
I know, what's up with this feeling? We beat a team that always play us hard, has won the last 3, we beat them handily, but why am I not jubilant? :179419:[/quote]

Its because Russell Wilson will once again show us that he is not an elite qb in games that matter.[/quote]

Are you serious?

He often proves he is elite by winning in close-and-late games.

He had one bad playoff game, a game in which we won, come on dude.[/quote]

From your logic, Matt Stafford would be an elite qb as well.

Hes had more than one bad playoff game. Against the Panthers, RW interceptions put the defense in bad positions to be down 31-0 in the first half. We came back to only lose by a td but we should have never been down 31-0 to begin the game in the first place.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
To me it just looked like Russ was pushing the ball rather than just letting it fly. I dunno. I'll certainly take the win. It got us a home playoff game at minimum. Let's hope we get it together before then.

Jville

Reaction score
I think the evolution of the offense was stunted a bit by injuries. Wilson is not as polished as he might have been with a healthier season.

Rob Rang came up with a descriptive tweet about quarterback play in 2016 ..... [tweet]https://twitter.com/RobRang/status/808515653917229056[/tweet]

hawk45

Reaction score
bigskydoc":j6y4mkgd said:
We had no Lynch and no Rawls when Wilson and Baldwin went on a record setting streak to close out last year.

Injury and the refusal to adjust the game plan to account for our weaknesses has given us the inconsistency we have suffered from this year.

Wilson has always struggled with accuracy on the long ball, this struggle is largely masked by his receivers adjusting to his under thrown balls. Occasionally he will hit the receiver in stride, but not at an elite level, nor at the highlight level many seem to credit him with here.

If I were an opposing DB coach I would definitely have my guy cut under those long routes. I think we are seeing opposing DBs start to do that.
My take is that he puts more air under the ball than a lot of qbs when throwing it long and that this leads to more completions rather than fewer.

Also that DBs cutting under long routes are at a high risk of getting beat deep. I am unconvinced that there is a trend in DBs being coached differently. If they were, if Russ sees that a few times that's an adjustment he can easily make.

I agree he doesn't hit in stride that often but only in his bad games does he underthrow to where his target has to play defense.

I do agree with a point I think you were making which is that he has never been a laser thrower on deep routes and that injury or lack of arm strength are reaches at this point.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Meh. When he played through injuries, the kind of injuries ESPN/NFL Network reported that 95% of Qbs wouldn't be playing through it, I knew it wouldn't make a difference. When a player goes on the field, they're judged like everyone else. Throughout the season I've seen NFL fans judge Wilson by exactly what they're seeing. Some will acknowledge injury but for the most part that becomes an afterthought. Weirdly, quarterbacks are all judged on the same level no matter what the circumstances. I live in the North West, so I've been watching Tom Brady for 10 years and I don't care what anyone says. He's never had an o-line this terrible, and he's always had a running game or personnel to suit him

Even after Russell took over the league last year without Beast mode, I have accepted that he is going to be one of the most under appreciated, and down played Qbs in the league. Possibly for his entire career. No matter what he does, I don't think he'll ever be crowned one of the best or the GOAT by most people.

I thought he had a good game on Thursday, even with the lack of a running game, and even with the worst O-line in the league. No he doesn't look at the top of his game, but he did look good. The thing about being a fan of a team is, you overanalyze the flaws other team's fans don't see. Most fans see the Hawks for what we are, a great team with a top QB. There is not a single team in either conference that runs away from us in terms of being a great team. In fact, I would argue we are the ONLY team in the league that has it all when we put it all together. Literally the only major flaw(in comparison to other teams) is protection. Wilson playing through terrible injuries is why we're in position for the number 2 seed and I won't nitpick at him for it

Joyodongo

Reaction score
I didn't like RW on thursday (inaccuracy issues, a horrible pick and some PA hand-offs to Rawls when he had a dlineman on him).
Anyway I was astonished with his quick release in the TD to Lockett: he armed and threw the deep ball in less than a second, like a fast motion film, amazing ...

bigskydoc

Reaction score
hawk45":3as43g3y said:
Also that DBs cutting under long routes are at a high risk of getting beat deep. I am unconvinced that there is a trend in DBs being coached differently. If they were, if Russ sees that a few times that's an adjustment he can easily make.

That's really one of the points I was making though, it doesn't appear that Russ can make that adjustment easily. If he could, his tendency would be to overthrow the receiver on these plays. The overthrow is the safe play in these situations. Put the ball in front of the receiver that has his guy beat, and the receiver is the only player who has a chance at the ball. Instead, our receivers, more often than not, have to break stride and come back to the ball after getting deep to the coverage.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
bigskydoc":110ncngv said:
hawk45":110ncngv said:

That's really one of the points I was making though, it doesn't appear that Russ can make that adjustment easily. If he could, his tendency would be to overthrow the receiver on these plays. The overthrow is the safe play in these situations. Put the ball in front of the receiver that has his guy beat, and the receiver is the only player who has a chance at the ball. Instead, our receivers, more often than not, have to break stride and come back to the ball after getting deep to the coverage.
The missed passes deep to ADB and Graham early in the GB game looked like a case of that to me, where the receivers were the only players with a chance at the ball. In both cases they looked reasonably good, they were almost close enough that with a good reach they might have been brought in.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Encouraging. Decision making good. Long term his accuracy is not a concern

scutterhawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":24azdibl said:
Hope it's sorted out soon so we can make a real run into the post-season, but those who are concerned are right to be so.

"Right To Be Concerned"?, maybe so, but, I find the lopsided outcome of this game with one of our toughest rivals, dispels a bunch of those concerns.
This was a game against a NFC WEST rival team that throws everything they have at the Seahawks, won the prior 3 games in a row, and has had a lot of success in catching them off guard on multiple plays..... we SMOKED their butts, and the reset button has been pushed, I don't believe they pose the mysticism they once enjoyed over the Seahawks.
I also believe that the Seahawks are starting to put it all together.
Now it might just be me, but I'm encouraged, and find that it doesn't leave a lot of room for doubts....Once again, Pete Carroll's Seahawks are making a good run at it and are once again in the thick of the Playoff mix.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1ba1e176 said:
semiahmoo":1ba1e176 said:
Hope it's sorted out soon so we can make a real run into the post-season, but those who are concerned are right to be so.

"Right To Be Concerned"?, maybe so, but, I find the lopsided outcome of this game with one of our toughest rivals, dispels a bunch of those concerns.
This was a game against a NFC WEST rival team that throws everything they have at the Seahawks, won the prior 3 games in a row, and has had a lot of success in catching them off guard on multiple plays..... we SMOKED their butts, and the reset button has been pushed, I don't believe they pose the mysticism they once enjoyed over the Seahawks.
I also believe that the Seahawks are starting to put it all together.
Now it might just be me, but I'm encouraged, and find that it doesn't leave a lot of room for doubts....Once again, Pete Carroll's Seahawks are making a good run at it and are once again in the thick of the Playoff mix.
Rawls ran the ball something like 24 times for only 36 yards, was in on 90-some% of the snaps too, but the Hawks were able to keep going to him without much success and ~still~ won that game convincingly - after losing 3 in a row to them as you said. The OL was more effective this time, it is for sure encouraging.

It's also a fact that several guys (yes, maybe on the Rams too but still) had fewer snap counts in the TNF game than normal (and actually in the GB game too, to even the load), especially Jimmy Graham.

And so even if Rawls got put through a grinder against the Rams (although after just 2 Q's against GB and with extra days now to recover), yes, the Hawks could be getting healthier and stronger as we approach the playoffs - probably with a bye as a cherry on top.

Latest posts