How many games has Nolan Frese cost the Hawks this season?

How many games has Nolan Frese cost the Hawks this year?

Votes: 24 31.2%

Votes: 6 7.8%

Votes: 20 26.0%

Votes: 27 35.1%

• Total voters

King Dog

Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of saving a few bucks by releasing Gresham and keeping Frese. Gresham had proved to be a very consistent LS over the years with few bad snaps.

There were multiple posters at the time that said Frese would cost us games. It's been obvious his snaps have contributed to some poor kicks and punts, but has he cost us games? If so, how many?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Hard to isolate Frese's contribution in many cases. Against the Cards I'd say it was edge pressure that contributed to the missed PAT. That's not Nolan's fault. Our ST blocking has been poor this year.

Basis4day

Reaction score
King Dog":5zs1wm8c said:
I wasn't a fan of saving a few bucks by releasing Gresham and keeping Frese. Gresham had proved to be a very consistent LS over the years with few bad snaps.

There were multiple posters at the time that said Frese would cost us games. It's been obvious his snaps have contributed to some poor kicks and punts, but has he cost us games? If so, how many?

If you're seeing obvious bad snaps shouldn't the answer you're looking for be obvious as well?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's hard to say because missed extra points is a problem with just about every team this year, not just us.

I can only remember two FG attempts from earlier in the year where it was 100% on Frese, and no extra points. Lots of snaps are off, it's Ryan and Hauschka's job to be better than needing a perfect snap 100% of the time.

OP
OP
K

King Dog

Reaction score
Basis4day":1qaorjl6 said:
King Dog":1qaorjl6 said:

If you're seeing obvious bad snaps shouldn't the answer you're looking for be obvious as well?

Is it?

iigakusei

Reaction score
Honest question but how hard is it to long snap a football consistently and then get in someone's way?

Erebus

Reaction score
iigakusei":2ii5zkkn said:
Honest question but how hard is it to long snap a football consistently and then get in someone's way?

Has to be pretty difficult, otherwise you'd just have a linebacker or center do it and save a roster spot.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I know on one game, Frese got bowled over twice and the offending DL blocked each kick. Don't remember which, tho.

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
I would say he has cost the Hawks no games by himself, but his inconsistency has been a factor and has put stress on other units of the team that they have not always been able to overcome. LS is one of those positions you hope you never have to talk about, it just takes care of business. I felt we had that in the past few years, but not this year.

The last kick against Arizona - high snap leads to less time leads to rusher coming in from the right leads to kicker hooking it left.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
DangerousDoug":oxa382it said:
I would say he has cost the Hawks no games by himself, but his inconsistency has been a factor and has put stress on other units of the team that they have not always been able to overcome. LS is one of those positions you hope you never have to talk about, it just takes care of business. I felt we had that in the past few years, but not this year.

The last kick against Arizona - high snap leads to less time leads to rusher coming in from the right leads to kicker hooking it left.
Someone made like a turnstyle on the right, may have been TE Brandom Williams.

I think we've had 4 missed FG's and 5 missed PATs. For a variety of reasons.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Truth be told, good ole Richard Sherman, (the mouth that roars) has cost us more games this season than
Freese.

Basis4day

Reaction score
King Dog":e20drkpv said:
Basis4day":e20drkpv said:
King Dog":e20drkpv said:

Is it?

If you accept your premise then i think yes, it would be obvious. If his mistakes are that obvious, then i think it would be easy to identify which games it really hurt the team.

If however i reject your premise (that hes had obvious bad snaps), then it makes it more difficult to identify which games his mistakes would have had an effect.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I cannot tell you how many kicks I have seen him blown back on.

We have absolutely missed kicks because the opposing line pours through and I have seen blocked kicks made by guys that just bowl over Frese.

Apparently we get a little bit better coverage from the guy as far as getting downfield faster, but the cost was consistently protecting the very area that ball is going to be when kicked. Which clearly has shelled our kicker's concentration and his confidence.

We likely win the AZ game (the one that went to OT) without that stupid move of cutting our LS, and because that game went to 2 OT and we were spent by the time we got to the Saints - we probably win that game too. The Saints are not that good and our defense was pretty much full strength by then.

Who knows how much damage we did to our players with all those long games because of missed kicks. But just off the one missed kick we can easily point to 2 games we could have had.

The Frese experiement was stupid and it burned our *sses. Not that we were riding to a SB and were just derailed because of that, some of those injuries would have screwed us anyway - but we assuredly lost wins just from one kick. And we probably have a few close losses where some made kicks would have changed things.

Overall, half of us called this move at the time as pennywise and pound foolish. And we were disappointed to find out that our prediction went near 100% how we called it would go.

It was costly and stupid.

Latest posts