Pete: G.Tate '14 Offer "didn’t get communicated very well"

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...e-in-2014-didnt-get-communicated-really-well/

Carroll, in what are some of the more expansive comments he’s ever made on the topic, said Tuesday that he thinks Tate was unaware of what the Seahawks were willing to offer him.

“We did try to bring him back,’’ Carroll told Detroit media. “We made an offer that didn’t get communicated really well at the time and I think he’s a terrific player. I loved him on our team, but you can’t keep everybody and so during the process of the negotiations it just, he went elsewhere. But our players and our coaches, we think the world of him and he’s fun to watch and we watch him every week and we’ll have a good time competing against him.’’

Asked what it meant that the offer didn’t get communicated to Tate, Carroll said: “I’m not going into it. That’s the agent’s talk. You can talk to them.’’

Asked if the numbers were close, Carroll said: “I don’t remember those numbers at the time, but I’ll just tell you this. There was a time when Golden didn’t know that we had made him an offer and he thought we didn’t, and that’s because it wasn’t communicated. I just felt bad about that. I don’t even know what the numbers were at the time, but that wasn’t the point. It was we were interested in bringing him back and he didn’t get that sense from us, and I was disappointed in that. But they were going to go higher than we were able to go anyway. I just think the world of him and I didn’t like that it didn’t come across really clearly at the time. That’s my opinion of it. And at this point, I could care less about it.’’

:vodka:

Giblien

Reaction score
We will likely never know the whole story, but something still smells fishy about that situation. I'm sorry, but if I'm an agent or a manager, I make sure tate gets that offer. We're either being lied to or someone should have been fired.

soxhawk

Reaction score
Does it really matter? He's not their second coming of Megatron. He's above average. (Referencing the article, not the post)

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Maybe the Hawks felt they were obligated to give a good offer, but under the circumstances, was indifferent about it and did it in a manner that, yes,they offered, but you really had to look for it...

Or

The agent, wanted Tate out of Seattle and into a market that the agent thought would be better for him as a WR, and just let the offer slide, knowing they had a comparable offer in a pass happy offense, else where. Too, benefits the agent in the long run.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3l2mvxky said:
The agent, wanted Tate out of Seattle and into a market that the agent thought would be better for him as a WR, and just let the offer slide, knowing they had a comparable offer in a pass happy offense, else where. Too, benefits the agent in the long run.
My guess too, he let it slide.

Boycie

Reaction score
Bobblehead":th45n0hv said:
Maybe the Hawks felt they were obligated to give a good offer, but under the circumstances, was indifferent about it and did it in a manner that, yes,they offered, but you really had to look for it...

Or

I think you nailed it right there.

Think about it. We were a run heavy team, and his agent probably wanted him to get more targets, and what better place than Detroit for that to happen?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Ill take Tyler Lockett over Tate all day long

chris98251

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":142t36da said:
Bobblehead":142t36da said:

Most Agents a re Lawyers, you always trust a Lawyer right...................

seabowl

Reaction score
A mystery like the black eye during XLVIII

mikeak

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":35q4dveg said:
Ill take Tyler Lockett over Tate all day long

Lockett is a better fit in our offense. I can't recall a receiver doing more with the ball after the catch than Tate BUT we play a conservative style of football where getting open even if for shorter yards is the most important thing.

With that said Tate looks to be more durable.....

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Giblien":2to099oj said:
We will likely never know the whole story, but something still smells fishy about that situation. I'm sorry, but if I'm an agent or a manager, I make sure tate gets that offer. We're either being lied to or someone should have been fired.
No agent would ever do anything not in the player's best interests if it meant the agent getting more money, I'm sure.

...Wait a second... ;)

kf3339

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":7mfqemn0 said:
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...e-in-2014-didnt-get-communicated-really-well/

Carroll, in what are some of the more expansive comments he’s ever made on the topic, said Tuesday that he thinks Tate was unaware of what the Seahawks were willing to offer him.

“We did try to bring him back,’’ Carroll told Detroit media. “We made an offer that didn’t get communicated really well at the time and I think he’s a terrific player. I loved him on our team, but you can’t keep everybody and so during the process of the negotiations it just, he went elsewhere. But our players and our coaches, we think the world of him and he’s fun to watch and we watch him every week and we’ll have a good time competing against him.’’

Asked what it meant that the offer didn’t get communicated to Tate, Carroll said: “I’m not going into it. That’s the agent’s talk. You can talk to them.’’

Asked if the numbers were close, Carroll said: “I don’t remember those numbers at the time, but I’ll just tell you this. There was a time when Golden didn’t know that we had made him an offer and he thought we didn’t, and that’s because it wasn’t communicated. I just felt bad about that. I don’t even know what the numbers were at the time, but that wasn’t the point. It was we were interested in bringing him back and he didn’t get that sense from us, and I was disappointed in that. But they were going to go higher than we were able to go anyway. I just think the world of him and I didn’t like that it didn’t come across really clearly at the time. That’s my opinion of it. And at this point, I could care less about it.’’

If PC didn't know, who the hell's fault is that? He wanted full control over the team and personnel decisions. But now he says this crap. Sounds to me like a piss poor excuse.

seabowl

Reaction score
Hutch deal miscommunication part deux.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It was a strange thing for him to say to begin with. So many people are involved with that type of stuff. Who knows what the agent told Tate because that is what it comes down to. What did X tell Y about what Z said?

sc85sis

Reaction score
kf3339":2h55a7px said:
NJSeaHawk":2h55a7px said:

If PC didn't know, who the hell's fault is that? He wanted full control over the team and personnel decisions. But now he says this crap. Sounds to me like a piss poor excuse.

He has control over who the personnel are. It's John's role to do the negotiating side of things.

This sounds to me like either a miscommunication between John (or someone on his staff) and the agent, or the agent not communicating effectively with Golden.

As Pete says, it was probably a moot point anyway as the Lions ended up offering a higher number than the Hawks were willing/able to go.

kf3339

Reaction score
sc85sis":1femhr15 said:
kf3339":1femhr15 said:
NJSeaHawk":1femhr15 said:

He has control over who the personnel are. It's John's role to do the negotiating side of things.

This sounds to me like either a miscommunication between John (or someone on his staff) and the agent, or the agent not communicating effectively with Golden.

As Pete says, it was probably a moot point anyway as the Lions ended up offering a higher number than the Hawks were willing/able to go.

It may be a moot point, but if PC really wanted Tate back he would have made absolutely certain that Tate got the offer in time. He would have made sure JS had that offer to him, including personally calling Tate so he knew. But to claim miscommunication issues now is weak.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
chris98251":cer2pqnt said:
LeftHandSmoke":cer2pqnt said:
Bobblehead":cer2pqnt said:

Most Agents are Lawyers, you always trust a Lawyer right...................
Yep!

When PC says "We made an offer that didn’t get communicated really well at the time" he was likely referring to that lawyer..

Maybe like was posted above, the agent/lawyer figured a pass-happy team was the better future-fit. Maybe he was even right given how much Detroit has decided to invest in Offense versus Defense but given what ADB landed and given the Hawks success, it's possible that this 'you always trust a Lawyer right....' is a life lesson GT has come around to too.

An is the possibility that given how the Hawks apparently did want to talk seriously with him, that it somewhat negates the chances of the rumor about GT and RW ever being a real thing.

Latest posts