Best individual defensive year by a Hawk

seabowl

Reaction score
In thinking back over the years I was trying to figure out which Hawk player had the best defensive performance over one years time. With this said, even though as of late the Hawks D and the players on the D have been great, I still believe Cortez's 1992 performance was just incredible and the best. I remember he had 14 sacks as a defensive tackle and was as unstoppable as any player ever was. Not sure if you all agree with this but it' would be hard pressed to come up with another equally outstanding performance as his in 1992.

On the flip side the opposite could be said of the 1992 O which statistically was the worst in history. It was absolutely painful to watch.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Probably not equal to Tez's DPOY season , but Sherm 2013 and Kerney 2007 stand out too.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
In '84, Kenny Easley had 10 interceptions as a safety. To put that in perspective, Richard Sherman's best is 8 interceptions in a season, as a cornerback.

ivotuk

Reaction score
14 sacks on a shitty team where the defense was on the field all of the time, as a Defensive Tackle, being double teamed.

Tez was an amazing man. The world lost a great football player, and an even better man in him.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'd have to go with Sherman 2013. Who can forget the "Shoeless Dick Sherman" pick-6 on national TV against Houston to win a game that the 'Hawks tried hard to give away, that, as it turned out, was huge down the road in locking up home field for the playoffs. And of course "The Tip" in the NFCCG vs the 49ers. And simply key play after key play all through the season. A couple of great plays against the Cardinals wasted by woeful offense, but still illustrating Sherman's greatness for that whole year.

I can certainly respect the seasons that Tez and Easley had in their prime. Strong case for both. I'll go with Sherman 2013 because it finally got Seattle over the top.

Another player for honorable mention from the old days would have to be Jacob Green. Always 1000% effort. I can't point to a specific season, just that he was consistently excellent and overlooked.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Sherman certainly had a great year, and in many ways his contributions were hampered by his success. His area became a no-fly zone as QBs simply stopped throwing his way.

The thing about Easley is that the opposing team couldn't avoid him. He was simply everywhere. Picture a 6'3" version of Earl Thomas who hit more like Kam Chancellor. He would come out of nowhere and make a play on a ball, or cut a receiver in half. The entire field was a fly-at-your-own-risk zone.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Can you imagine the full blown meltdown that social media and sports talk shows would have if a DT on a 2-14 team won defensive MVP in 2017? And for me, that is why 92 Tez hands down best defensive year by a hawk.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Tez, then Easley then Sherman.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Kerney could have easily won DPOY in 2007. He was phenomenal on a very forgettable team.

That said, 'Tez in 1992 I think was the best season for any Seahawk at any position on either side of the ball. Watching him play was so sad because you always knew it never mattered because the Seahawks were lucky to score 6 points in a game.

Also hard to argue against Easley or Sherman. The Sherman year in 2013 was part of a much greater defensive team, but he stood out.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I thought Bobby Wagner had a hugely underrated year last year for me. He would have been DPOY if it wasnt for the media's obsession with sack numbers and the Seahawks being comparatively under the radar. He's the best MLB in the league but cry baby Kuechly gets all the love.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":1qoi24qz said:
Can you imagine the full blown meltdown that social media and sports talk shows would have if a DT on a 2-14 team won defensive MVP in 2017? And for me, that is why 92 Tez hands down best defensive year by a hawk.

That's not too hard to imagine. I don't think many people would be out of sorts if Aaron Donald were to be named defensive MVP. He's already firmly in that discussion year to year.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Wagner's 2016 year may have been better than the year Kuechly won it in 2013 while Sherman's 2013 may have been better than Kuichly's.

kobebryant

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1gyfo8dx said:
cry baby Kuechly .

Seems a little bit out of line. Uncontrollable crying is sometimes a symptom of brain trauma, known as the Pseudobulbar affect.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":3nr46y82 said:

Agreed and agreed. Spot on

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
sdog1981":hrjgad7s said:

Good point.