What does the OL look like when Fant returns next year?

Taehwk

Reaction score
Not an expert on OL play but how do you think the OL will be shaped next year?

Brown Fant Britt Pocic Ifedi?

Does Fant gets groomed as LT of the future by learning next to Brown?

Or does Fant move to RT and Ifedi goes back to RG?

Brown Pocic Britt Ifedi Fant?

If the goal is to improve the running game I think a Britt Ifedi Fant right side could create some serious push with Fant having bulked up and looking impressive before he got hurt.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Too soon.

No idea who will be back. It is way too fluid

Seymour

Reaction score
If Ifedi keeps up his stupidity, Fant to RT.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Can someone explain when we all decided Fant was amazing? Last I knew, he never played O-line in college and had ten starts to his name. And I don't recall us having much faith in his O-line coach. How did this kid become IR MVP?

johnnyfever

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":305um4hr said:
Can someone explain when we all decided Fant was amazing? Last I knew, he never played O-line in college and had ten starts to his name. And I don't recall us having much faith in his O-line coach. How did this kid become IR MVP?

As I was reading the first posts in this thread I was thinking the exact same thing. He was becoming servicable, but everyone is talking like he was good. Keep him as cheap depth while he progresses. Maybe he will eventually be good.

evergreen

Reaction score
Cuz he's an athletic freak. He's already gone from nowhere to NFL. Imagine his progression. Nothing to lose on him and just huge upside. Now he can learn from one of the best.

sdog1981

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3soh0rxz said:

It has a technical name called Rosy Retrospection and is defined as the psychological phenomenon of people sometimes judging the past disproportionately more positively than they judge the present.

Fant is like saying "That house fire was not that bad" nevermind the fact that the house should have never been on fire in the first place.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Starters:

Brown Odhiambo Britt Pocic Ifedi

Backups:

Fant Roos Hunt Glowinski Battle

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sdog1981":1k2wojgl said:
WindCityHawk":1k2wojgl said:

It has a technical name called Rosy Retrospection and is defined as the psychological phenomenon of people sometimes judging the past disproportionately more positively than they judge the present.

Nothing so complex. Pete just hyped him up during the preseason and people took him at his word. Impossible to know now whether he would have lived up to the hype.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Who said Fant will be back next year? His injury was very serious....too early to tell

massari

Reaction score
The 2018 draft is apparently potentially pretty deep with OL talent, hopefully they pick up one or two there. The free agent pool is really thin though...unless some guys get released....

With what they've got right now, I'd hope:

Brown-Pocic-Britt-Ifedi-Fant

IndyHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1475g942 said:
sdog1981":1475g942 said:
WindCityHawk":1475g942 said:

Nothing so complex. Pete just hyped him up during the preseason and people took him at his word. Impossible to know now whether he would have lived up to the hype.
Big Walt took him under his wing..That is a good place to start as any.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
After we win the SB , and Pete retires, we should cut Rees and Fant and pay Duane. This is a no brainer to me.
We need to rebuild our depth at O-line. They are both just not good enough to be NFL players at that position.
Rees could be a combo G/T off the bench. But, we will need money to sign top talent like Brown, Sheldon, and some of our vets like Earl.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
joeseahawks":5jq7a3ib said:
After we win the SB , and Pete retires, we should cut Rees and Fant and pay Duane. This is a no brainer to me.
We need to rebuild our depth at O-line. They are both just not good enough to be NFL players at that position.
Rees could be a combo G/T off the bench. But, we will need money to sign top talent like Brown, Sheldon, and some of our vets like Earl.

Both Fant and Rees are on very cheap rookie deals. You aren't gonna save any money cutting them because you have to sign others at nearly the same price or more.

I think they will both be good line depth on the cheap. Depending what we do with Joeckel, Rees could very well be starting at Guard next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Well first off, our OT went from perilously thin, to extremely deep.

By adding to the depth from the top down, it pushes everyone back a slot. The benefits should be that Fant will be able to develop and recuperate from his injury fully. No need to rush him back. Tobin can learn the offense and develop and be a very useful 4th OT option. He should be pretty easy to retain.

Pocic can afford to focus on getting playing time in the interior this year. While still being groomed to backup at OT as a 5th emergency starter. His progression now takes a more focused shape and should accelerate at a faster pace. The signing of Britt this offseason probably means we're focusing in the offseason to get a backup center. Preferably a guy currently on the roster.

Odhiambo is an interior OL. He was embarrassingly miscast as a LT and really had to do it due to circumstance. His development at OG can now continue to take shape. With the addition of Brown going forward, instead of being LT #2, he's OT #6. I really do feel for the guy as he has always been ill equipped to play LT. That was really never the plan with him even last year (remember, we started Fant with no experience in football instead of played Rees there). He basically had to because we had nobody else. Going into 2018, we're absolutely flush at OT.

It's also worth noting, that Rees now has experience at both OG and OT. Athletic. By all accounts a quick study of the game. Odhiambo is the kind of player who has taken a similar road as Britt. I'd see Rees as an obvious candidate to be the backup Center/OG that frees up Pocic to start. And gives us literally three deep at OC without adding a player to the roster.

Brown extends the development period for Fant. And also gives us a punt on OT in terms of dire draft need. Seattle can afford to take a 2 year approach to finding another OT. Not that I necessarily think that would be wise. This upcoming draft has some very good tier 2 OT prospects that should be available in a trade back scenario to the 2nd round. But the point is, Seattle can strike when opportunity presents as it should in 2018.

Also depending on how Pocic/Odhiambo develop as interior players -- it presents a possible flexibility in resigning Joeckel. That's a big contract. But he's also shown to be largely worth the money. Seattle will need cap flexibility to keep players. I wouldn't want to run Luke out of town, but if it comes down to playing Pocic/Odhiambo at OG and keeping Sheldon Richardson -- I think I live with that.

There is a laundry list of benefits that this OL is receiving by adding Brown to the mix. Really his addition puts 4-5 guys on a more ideal development and starting schedule for this year and next.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
^^^
Great Post, you're one of my favorite reads here Attyla.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
It sucks, but Fant is likely going to regress back to the level of progress that he had made going into 2017 training camp. Any improvement and meaningful game experience he garnered is going to be a year+ removed. I'm sure he'll be physically stronger coming into TC next year, but he's going to need to get back into football mode and basically start building his football smarts and technique from the foundation again.

Luckily for Fant and co. they're going to have a great veteran player ahead of them that they can learn from. I see Fant being a long term project at this point. Either #2 or #3 LT on the depth chart until Brown hangs them up or he's forced into action via injury and roster limitations.

Latest posts