The Bevell matter comes down to one question

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I think the ultimate question of our offense's effectiveness in the post-Lynch era is going to come down one thing:

Is Wilson holding onto the ball longer than he should, or is he following Bevell/Pete's orders and looking for the big play?

Despite Charles Davis' idiotic commentary to the contrary, Wilson is getting the 2.5 seconds that he needs behind the line, at least more often than not. His clock might be running out at 2.51 seconds, but he is getting what he needs. I'm not seeing very many quick passes to mitigate pressure and make pass rushers think twice. I am seeing a lot of "hey let's test the corners on deep passes", which exposes Wilson behind the line.

I'm gonna need to invest in All-22 in the offseason. For all the dumb reasons fans come up with to blame Bevell for things, this one may stand. We know from the Eagles game that the playbook can mitigate pressure. This lust for the big play is more at fault than anything else, IMHO, and it may be what gets a coach or two canned this year.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":m8zubjkb said:

That's the problem with people's analysis. They rely on feel. 2.5 seconds can pass deceptively quickly if they're not evaluating it with a timer.

Not that Wilson's getting his 2.5 on EVERY play. Like that one.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Rams looked terrible on offense last year.

For many reasons it looked like they just didn't have good enough personnel.

Now we know they just needed better game planning.

The problem with Bevell is that his strengths require this team to do what are essentially the weaknesses of this team.

It does not matter if he COULD be good, he isn't going to be consistently good here. EVER.

And because Pete is tied to him and Cable, neither will Pete.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3qgr9c4s said:
adeltaY":3qgr9c4s said:

That's the problem with people's analysis. They rely on feel. 2.5 seconds can pass deceptively quickly if they're not evaluating it with a timer.

Not that Wilson's getting his 2.5 on EVERY play. Like that one.

Fair enough. There aren't really any stats available right now to go by though.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Consistently receivers are a good 10 yards past the first down mark. There's been a couple times where the routes put receivers into the same spot. Analyst's have been critical of his simplistic route trees for awhile now, just calling deep routes once again killed the game today.

I swear, every pass looks like it's either a go route or a play action late release to the TE. I can't remember the last game they consistently called intermediate 'make a play' routes to mitigate long third downs. They averaged something like 9.6 yards on third down against the Jags, gotta be a lot of the same today.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Some overthrows aside, I think analysis of the film will show that:

a) Our receivers are blanketed. We don't have a game changing receiver
b) The running game couldn't get going. So...nothing to help those receivers get open
c) Bevell calls long developing routes despite the O-line's poor protection
d) I'm watching the Patriots-Steelers game right now. 2.5 seconds is a low standard to set for our offense. We hold our O-line to an extremely low standard. This is a poor performance and we need to clean house with the staff and invest in the protection

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The prudent and wise approach is to stay true to what we have and build upon it.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Bevell calls slow developing plays, is hindered by poor zone blocking technique with poor offensive linemen. So, RW runs around hoping to find somewhere to throw the football. This keeps the Defense on the field too long and they get wore out. It's time for an OC/OL/Conditioning coach change.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sure, blame the OC when your QB sails throws 7 yards over the target, your receiver coughs up a tempo-changing fumble, your free agent LT can't stop an outside pass rush and our defense and special teams can't stopGurley or their kick returners. Got it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
adeltaY":1ft6xu7g said:
It doesn't feel like he's getting 2.5 seconds. Guys are getting beat close to instantly.

he is not getting even close to 2.5 seconds, but some dont want to blame the oline. That said it is not just the oline. Its also play calling and design, routes not run right, drops, penalites, no run game. Its a ot but it starts with the oline

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3j2762cp said:
Sure, blame the OC when your QB sails throws 7 yards over the target, your receiver coughs up a tempo-changing fumble, your free agent LT can't stop an outside pass rush and our defense and special teams can't stopGurley or their kick returners. Got it.

I mostly blame his lack of sustained drives and pass protection combined with drive ending play calls. The defense is wore the hell out. Guess who half the Kick/Punt team is? If you guessed DEFENSE you're right. Give RW some Man blocking, pulling tackles and hard hitting linemen and it's a different game. Un-athletic and underconditioned linemen who aren't utilized in the right manner by the OC and OLC are the root of the problem.

I agree Bevell has some great plays that would work in a perfect world, but he refuses to adapt to the players on the field. Such a surefire path to disaster. Good for him though, I hope it leads to a good Head Coaching job in NY.

Mizak

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3iolmreq said:

I freaking love you.

renofox

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3slxf1k6 said:

Are you really serious with your defense of Cabevell, or is this some kind if long-term troll joke?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
renofox":wqdzfln2 said:
Siouxhawk":wqdzfln2 said:

Are you really serious with your defense of Cabevell, or is this some kind if long-term troll joke?

At least we know he isn't actually Bevell now.... he was posting while Bevell was calling plays.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":jat5equ6 said:
renofox":jat5equ6 said:
Siouxhawk":jat5equ6 said:

At least we know he isn't actually Bevell now.... he was posting while Bevell was calling plays.
Is that what you call what bev was doing?

bandiger

Reaction score
renofox":2m2sogq6 said:
Siouxhawk":2m2sogq6 said:

I still think you can win with Bevell but get rid of Cable cause he sucks. RW with a running game and a shitty OC can still win a SB look at the Packers for inspiration.