I'm Excited About Next Season

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I know it's a bummer to miss the playoffs, but it's really exciting to think of what we have going forward.

I think whether we all realize it or not, our expectations never wavered with all the injuries. With the vast majority of teams that's usually not the case. On defense, I LOVE what we have. Shaq Griffin is a stud. Byron Maxwell is perfect for our system. Deshawn Shead should produce for us. Justin Coleman is great. Bradley McDougald is great. Dion Jordan with a full offseason should be a real gem for us. And we have some other defensive guys that could be great for us

And that's just our DEPTH. Add in a healthy Sherman, Earl for one more year(or more), a healthy Bennett (with less snaps), BWagz, KJ Wright, and a strong safety to develop if Kam can't return, and I can easily see this defense being dominant again

On special teams, I think Tyler Lockett with another full offseason to recover should be even better. Obviously, we need a kicker and a new coach. Not the end of the world

Offense is probably the biggest question mark. I don't think the FO's strength is to draft O-linemen, and I think they should focus more on free agency or trades. Move Ifedi to RG, and figure out the other pieces on the O-line. A full offseason with Duane Brown should also help. For RB, I would love for us to draft either Bryce Love, Nick Chubb, or Derrius Guice. I like Guice's ability to break tackles especially, but he was injured recently. I'd switch Mike Davis to a gadget FB and utilize more two back sets. I'd possibly keep McKissic but I'm open to letting him go. Carson Davis can be RB # 2. Rawls can go

I know many in the media are ready to write us off, but I still think we are arguably the most talented team in the division next to the Rams. From an overall standpoint. If not at least a close second. And I think John and Pete are anxious to prove it's still our division starting next year :irishdrinkers:

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I'll be much more excited when I start seeing some changes over the offseason. If we come back with the same crew plus a few rookies, I will be sorely disappointed before we even kick off.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I'm always excited about next season. The only thing I love more than football is Rugby.. and these bones don't handle the Pitch well. So I watch football.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yeah until I see some changes, not excited.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1ks50ft6 said:
I know it's a bummer to miss the playoffs, but it's really exciting to think of what we have going forward.

I think whether we all realize it or not, our expectations never wavered with all the injuries. With the vast majority of teams that's usually not the case. On defense, I LOVE what we have. Shaq Griffin is a stud. Byron Maxwell is perfect for our system. Deshawn Shead should produce for us. Justin Coleman is great. Bradley McDougald is great. Dion Jordan with a full offseason should be a real gem for us. And we have some other defensive guys that could be great for us

And that's just our DEPTH. Add in a healthy Sherman, Earl for one more year(or more), a healthy Bennett (with less snaps), BWagz, KJ Wright, and a strong safety to develop if Kam can't return, and I can easily see this defense being dominant again

On special teams, I think Tyler Lockett with another full offseason to recover should be even better. Obviously, we need a kicker and a new coach. Not the end of the world

Offense is probably the biggest question mark. I don't think the FO's strength is to draft O-linemen, and I think they should focus more on free agency or trades. Move Ifedi to RG, and figure out the other pieces on the O-line. A full offseason with Duane Brown should also help. For RB, I would love for us to draft either Bryce Love, Nick Chubb, or Derrius Guice. I like Guice's ability to break tackles especially, but he was injured recently. I'd switch Mike Davis to a gadget FB and utilize more two back sets. I'd possibly keep McKissic but I'm open to letting him go. Carson Davis can be RB # 2. Rawls can go

I know many in the media are ready to write us off, but I still think we are arguably the most talented team in the division next to the Rams. From an overall standpoint. If not at least a close second. And I think John and Pete are anxious to prove it's still our division starting next year :irishdrinkers:

I agree with this. The foundation is strong. A few tweets here and there along with better luck in the injury department...

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Team is so frustrating, we shouldn't be this mediocre, yet, here we are mired in mediocrity and whats deflating is, our mediocrity seems to come from what should make us great and that's so troublesome.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Im excited if Bevell and or Cable is gone...

If both of them are here I am not even going to watch next year..and im 100 percent serious...im done with both of them. Its not even fun watching for most of the game. Almost every first half makes me want to gouge my eyes out with how ineffective this offense is.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3mjlceth said:
Im excited if Bevell and or Cable is gone...

If both of them are here I am not even going to watch next year..and im 100 percent serious...im done with both of them. Its not even fun watching for most of the game. Almost every first half makes me want to gouge my eyes out with how ineffective this offense is.

You'll be watching just fine once we have a healthy RB again.

Good OP. Seattle still has a load of talent on paper once they come off the injured list, and now, Duane Brown. The only place that's really a total question mark is LG and WLB.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Can't think of an available RB who would have been successful with our run "blocking" over the course of an entire season.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":1dekeeje said:
Can't think of an available RB who would have been successful with our run "blocking" over the course of an entire season.

Carson did noticeably better.

I continue to assert that people put way too much emphasis on the OL helping the RB and not the other way arounnd (same with the QB position). A good RB can make 5 yards out of a quick lane while a slower RB lets it close. A good RB can bounce, cut, and otherwise create with mediocre blocking. We saw Carson doing some of this. Nobody else really did.

adeltaY

Reaction score
But what about all the runs blown up in the backfield? I liked Carson but we had a small sample size of him and honestly he was decent but not great. We didn't have a single dominant performance on the ground this entire season, especially not considering Wilson's contributions. I see your point about hitting the holes at the right time Montana, but look around the league and you will see meh RBs do great behind great lines.

HawkerD

Reaction score
We have coaches who do well with superior talent. When the talent is only competitive, the coaches are mediocre at best. That could be said for most coaches. It is a rare breed who can make lemonade from lemons. PC & Co. are not lemonade makers

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":1ctvb4ku said:
But what about all the runs blown up in the backfield? I liked Carson but we had a small sample size of him and honestly he was decent but not great. We didn't have a single dominant performance on the ground this entire season, especially not considering Wilson's contributions. I see your point about hitting the holes at the right time Montana, but look around the league and you will see meh RBs do great behind great lines.

Some of the runs blown up from the backfield were from the poor/misplaced/still developing players on our line. Some of them were from Brown and Britt. Doesn't mean we need to replace them. Some were from our tight ends, who are poor blockers and need to be better in Cable's system.

And some were from the RB's. Defensive linemen are sometimes allowed to penetrate or push a bit in order to be trapped. We don't do that a huge amount, but we do it some, and when the RB doesn't have his assignment correct, he runs right into those guys.

I'm fine with replacing Joeckel (and Ifedi if he can't be salvaged at RG), but a dynamic RB is still a better use for our first-rounder, especially this year. That's assuming that the team doesn't roll with Carson, though. I kinda suspect neither RB nor OL will get our first-rounder this year.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
HawkerD":1wk33o8o said:
We have coaches who do well with superior talent. When the talent is only competitive, the coaches are mediocre at best. That could be said for most coaches. It is a rare breed who can make lemonade from lemons. PC & Co. are not lemonade makers

Lemonade was made in the secondary. :2thumbs:

adeltaY

Reaction score
First rounder on an RB is a waste IMO. Trading up almost certainly is. Laid out plenty of examples of successful RBs drafted late in another thread.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
adeltaY":2z8bjaz9 said:
First rounder on an RB is a waste IMO. Trading up almost certainly is. Laid out plenty of examples of successful RBs drafted late in another thread.

There's decent RB's in the latter rounds, look at Chris Carson, but, don't we want a dominating RB that can control the game and dictate how other teams play us? Those RB's are probably few, rare and those that do, are taken generally in the early rounds. We got a steal in Lynch, and guess what, he was the number 12 pick taken. Good RB is a game changer, especially in a PC oriented offense.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Okay which RB fits that mold this year? Gurley? Not a transcendental talent as shown by his down year last year. Zeke? Rushing stats were almost identical when he was in or out as long as Tyron Smith played. Examples to the contrary are all over the place.

Lev Bell was a second rounder, Kamara was a third rounder, David Johnson was a third rounder, Jordan Howard was a fifth rounder, Devonta Freeman fourth rounder, Karen Hunt third rounder, Alex Collins fifth rounder, and we can go on. All those guys have shown promise or are proven contributors.

original poster

Reaction score
Fully with you Adelta, no way they go RB in the first. DL DL DL.

Or maybe WR

OP
OP
Scorpion05

Scorpion05

Reaction score
HawkerD":33c2agy6 said:

I can argue they are on defense. Offense or special teams? Ehh

Latest posts