Drop kick instead of kick off

warden

Reaction score
In last nights game, instead of kicking the ball off, Dickson came on for a drop kick.

Can someone please explain the pros and cons of this move to me

OKHawksfan

Reaction score
With the new kick off rules, the old onside kick is virtually dead. A drop kick supposedly will allow the kicker to kick the ball high but not a great distance allowing the kicking team to cover and, hopefully, recover the football. I would suspect that the balls rotation may be a bit different than a standard kickoff, making it more difficult to field.

HawkGA

Reaction score
OKHawksfan":1wudpz94 said:
With the new kick off rules, the old onside kick is virtually dead. A drop kick supposedly will allow the kicker to kick the ball high but not a great distance allowing the kicking team to cover and, hopefully, recover the football. I would suspect that the balls rotation may be a bit different than a standard kickoff, making it more difficult to field.

Wouldn't this just lead to a fair catch? You can do that with a kickoff, right? The reason it doesn't work with a traditional onside kick is that the kickers actually kick the ball into the ground to get it to pop up and once it hits the ground they can't do a fair catch.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
HawkGA":1iwxp60z said:
OKHawksfan":1iwxp60z said:

Wouldn't this just lead to a fair catch? You can do that with a kickoff, right? The reason it doesn't work with a traditional onside kick is that the kickers actually kick the ball into the ground to get it to pop up and once it hits the ground they can't do a fair catch.
Good insights. IIRC you can't call fair catch after the ball has touched the ground like on most onside kicks. Beyond 10 yards the ball is free to recover if no fair catch can be made.
A dropkick is a legal option for kickoffs but not sure if fair catch rules apply since ball touches the ground when kicked and has traveled atleast 10 yards.