Are We Losing Our Voice?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yesterday at the game, I couldn't help but notice that no matter how loud we were (and yes, we were LOUD), it didn't seem to faze Andy and their offense much. I have seen this disturbing trend in recent years. It seems like teams have mastered the silent count to negate the noise.

Now that's not to say that the noise doesn't have any effect. I think on some psychological, collective level it still does. It has to be unsettling for the players to be surrounded by such loudness. Yet, it seems to me that teams are smarter in how they deal with it. False starts are no longer the norm. Thoughts?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
[urlTargetBlank][/urlTargetBlank]Teams prepare better for this. I dont think we are consistently as loud anymore even though we are as loud as ever in spurts. Just my 2 cents.

Seymour

Reaction score
Well we better step it back up or they may give the #12 back to Sam Adkins. :twisted:

James in PA

Reaction score
I was going to post something about this too! WHY could I clearly hear Andy barking out signals?! Inexcusable! Cmon 12’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmedic920

Reaction score
I wasn’t there so it’s hard to say much.

I do know what that in the past, the crowd would start bringing the noise as soon as the previous play ended. This had an obvious effect (especially) in the huddle.

It does seem to me that this aspect has slipped away a bit. Seems like the “noise” comes much later these days.

getnasty

Reaction score
When ticket prices soar there's a different fan that fills the stadium. How many of those fans does it take to bring the noise level down?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I have noticed this situation for a long time.

The fans start yelling and making noise after the play has been sent in. Dalton was able to get the play from the sideline through his headset with some difficulty and this would have been more difficult for him if the the noise started prior to the play clock beginning.

It's a matter of better timing.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
On top of what has been said, teams now practice dealing with the noise; it is a known commodity. Difference between vets coming in, especially ones that have been here before, and younger guys. The young guys still get rattled, most vets are well prepared to go to silent count and hand signals.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This one of the threads I like to call "Groundhog Day Threads."

We see this thread every year, we question the 12's, are we as loud? why isn't it like the old days?

No we aren't losing our voice, as the players and coaches (ours and other teams) will tell you the Clink is still one of the biggest home field advantages in the league.

What you're seeing is the advancement in offensive scheming, playcalling, silent counts and now the QB having a mic in his helmet. THAT'S the difference.

Teams are now equipped with everything they need to come in here and manage their offense without being bothered by the crowd noise. If you're with me knock on wood.

James in PA

Reaction score
I keep hearing about teams getting better at the silent count, but nobody addressed my point from earlier. I could hear Andy at the line during the broadcast!

Fade

Reaction score
It hasn't been loud since they won the Super Bowl.

A bandwagon, fairweather fan element has taken over the stadium.

Mase

Reaction score
-- I'm not sure what you think a QB would do that would cue you to the fact he is bothered by the noise. They all realize now that if they are over dramatic and pointing to their ear holes, that just gets the crowd more jacked.

-- Listened to John Clayton on the way home last night, he was on the Bengals sideline for the game, and he said Dalton was consistently complaining to the coaches about the noise. With the newness of the offense, the noise made it that much more difficult to translate.

Mase

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":36p4jmbe said:

I'm not season ticket holder, but I usually go to 1-2 games a season......and honestly other than the Kingdome years where my ears would ring for days after a game, I don't notice a difference in crowd noise.

But if I'm buying what you're selling that it is not as loud the pre- SB years? I'd still apply my reasoning above for 80-90% of the difference, and 10-20% as less crowd noise for affecting the other team's offense.

Offenses aren't run like they were 10-15 years ago where they'd call a play and then the QB had to change the play at the line by barking it out as the lineman got all jumpy cause they couldn't hear.

Now it's all complex multiple calls at the line, silent counts and mic in the QB's helmet that goes off 15 seconds before the play clock expires.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
James in PA":37uvrsbq said:
I keep hearing about teams getting better at the silent count, but nobody addressed my point from earlier. I could hear Andy at the line during the broadcast!

They use mics designed to specifically pickup the calls at the line.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Teams have adjusted to to crowd noise league-wide. Unless you have a true young QB it doesn't really matter. In fact, you could argue it hurts the defense more than the offense these days.

Fade

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":yysebv4l said:
Fade":yysebv4l said:

I'm not season ticket holder, but I usually go to 1-2 games a season......and honestly other than the Kingdome years where my ears would ring for days after a game, I don't notice a difference in crowd noise.

But if I'm buying what you're selling that it is not as loud the pre- SB years? I'd still apply my reasoning above for 80-90% of the difference, and 10-20% as less crowd noise for affecting the other team's offense.

Offenses aren't run like they were 10-15 years ago where they'd call a play and then the QB had to change the play at the line by barking it out as the lineman got all jumpy cause they couldn't hear.

Now it's all complex multiple calls at the line, silent counts and mic in the QB's helmet that goes off 15 seconds before the play clock expires.

Everyone wearing Seahawks gear around town now. It is fashionable now, these weak minded lames go to the games too. Kaepernick screaming in the huddle trying to call the play wa well past the kingdome days.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":3tuhboag said:
Sgt. Largent":3tuhboag said:
Fade":3tuhboag said:

Everyone wearing Seahawks gear around town now. It is fashionable now, these weak minded lames go to the games too. Kaepernick screaming in the huddle trying to call the play wa well past the kingdome days.

I guess. Bottom line is the crowd could be 10 times louder and teams are still going to have a mic in their QB's ear, silent counts and hand play changes.

Especially veteran QB's like Dalton, you're not going to phase him, or any other vet QB coming in here. Maybe a QB like Murray coming in here the crowd can affect him, but not a vet.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Let's not kid ourselves...We still are one of, if not THE loudest fans in the NFL (Chiefs fans can argue)...This is not about not being loud, we ARE still very loud. Maybe not as hyper loud as 2012-2014 or what-have-you, but yes most fans are still bringing it on gameday. It's just the adjustment to the noise that's my concern.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":2ja35swz said:
Let's not kid ourselves...We still are one of, if not THE loudest fans in the NFL (Chiefs fans can argue)...This is not about not being loud, we ARE still very loud. Maybe not as hyper loud as 2012-2014 or what-have-you, but yes most fans are still bringing it on gameday. It's just the adjustment to the noise that's my concern.

Remember there HC he came from the Rams, they have been playing us a few times before this and they do master a silent count and quick count in our and other loud environments, if we want to mess them up now you need to be loud when they huddle so they can't hear the calls or signals used.

Seafan

Reaction score
False starts are the legacy of the 12th man. I don't expect QBs to be bothered by the noise. It does seem to cause OL to move too early and as a 12 I wouldn't change a thing.

Latest posts