Pete is destroying Russell Wilson career

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Watching the second half of today's and many many other similar playoff games (at Minnesota, at Panthers, at Falcons, at Cowboys, ...), I'm now convinced that ... Pete's lacks trust in Wilson ...
Just imagine Russell was coached by Andy Reid. I watched Mahomes play today ... and Russell's second half made me believe we could have scored 50 points on GB today if our coaches weren't stupid.
When Aaron Rodgers stopped trusting McCarthy ... McCarthy was gone.
I'm not saying that Russ should chase Pete out of Seattle ... but, many of our losses are annoying.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1u8b7974 said:
Watching the second half of today's and many many other similar playoff games (at Minnesota, at Panthers, at Falcons, at Cowboys, ...), I'm now convinced that ... Pete's lacks trust in Wilson ...
Just imagine Russell was coached by Andy Reid. I watched Mahomes play today ... and Russell's second half made me believe we could have scored 50 points on GB today if our coaches weren't stupid.
I'm not saying that Russ should chase Pete out of Seattle ... but, many of our losses are annoying.

Like Payton is destroying Brees career?

Like McCarthy destroyed Rodgers career?

Like Dungy destroyed Manning's career?

I mean really. It's hard to take a franchise QB to multiple super bowls because you pay them too much to build a roster around them.

Andy Reid has yet to win a SB so I'd put the brakes on singing his praises. And Mahomes has Tyreek Hill, Sammy watkins, Travis Kelce and s stud offensive line due to him being on a rookie deal. Even if they win a SB this year, once they pay Mahomes they will be where we are today. Making playoffs, rarely much further.

MCCarthy was gone because he failed to make the playoffs a couple years in a row. That's usually the death knell for a coach with a franchise QB. I don't think it had anything to do with how Rodgers felt, since everyone knows he's a dick.

quadsas

Reaction score
Mad Dog":8s28nzku said:
joeseahawks":8s28nzku said:

I mean really. It's hard to take a franchise QB to multiple super bowls because you pay them too much to build a roster around them.

Andy Reid has yet to win a SB so I'd put the brakes on singing his praises. And Mahomes has Tyreek Hill, Sammy watkins, Travis Kelce and s stud offensive line due to him being on a rookie deal. Even if they win a SB this year, once they pay Mahomes they will be where we are today. Making playoffs, rarely much further.

MCCarthy was gone because he failed to make the playoffs a couple years in a row. That's usually the death knell for a coach with a franchise QB. I don't think it had anything to do with how Rodgers felt, since everyone knows he's a d*ck.

I don't remember those 3 players not being allowed to play to their ability

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1ehjj1np said:
joeseahawks":1ehjj1np said:

MCCarthy was gone because he failed to make the playoffs a couple years in a row. That's usually the death knell for a coach with a franchise QB. I don't think it had anything to do with how Rodgers felt, since everyone knows he's a d*ck.

Post of the year.

Threedee

Reaction score
Mad Dog":xydko2pf said:
joeseahawks":xydko2pf said:

MCCarthy was gone because he failed to make the playoffs a couple years in a row. That's usually the death knell for a coach with a franchise QB. I don't think it had anything to do with how Rodgers felt, since everyone knows he's a dick.

How much was Wilson getting paid in 2014?

Donn2390

Reaction score
It's a shame some people can't enjoy a great season and a great game without finding something to b*tch about.. With all of the adversity the Seahawks endured through the season , they were simply amazing. What a great run...
GO HAWKS

HawkinInLA

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1vetvhld said:
joeseahawks":1vetvhld said:

Doesn’t that prove the OP’s point? You put all your money in Wilson and then handcuff him with conservative playcalling? They had a chance to win at the end with a conservative game plan, but if they let your highly paid QB ball out for an entire game you don’t put the game in the hands of practice squad players at the end.

John63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3siyduyq said:
joeseahawks":3siyduyq said:

Your missing the point, we see what Wilson can do when he is let off the lease, yet PC refuses to do it till its almost to late. PC himself has said he uses the first half to test the defense. That's a half of football wasted. Oh and one more things All those HCs built their offense around their Qb, ours has not.

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Better play calling in the first half would have given the Hawks a better chance to win. Same for the games I mentioned earlier. Most Hawks games ... the team is down double digit before the play calling changes and Russ is allowed to move more. Why have a mobile QB, if you keep him in the pocket for the whole first half? Nobody is asking for Russ to run like Lamar ..but get him to throw on the move. Why is that so hard to do?
There was enough talent on the field today to win at Green Bay.
Mad Dog":2j7e26z4 said:
joeseahawks":2j7e26z4 said:

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Most Hawks games are very predictable. Just look at the playoff games I mentioned: Falcons, Panthers, Cowboys, ...etc. We are generally down 2-3 scores by the half. Just to unleash Russ in the second half and get closer. But then ... reverse back to the same BS ...
Donn2390":22dh5279 said:
It's a shame some people can't enjoy a great season and a great game without finding something to b*tch about.. With all of the adversity the Seahawks endured through the season , they were simply amazing. What a great run...
GO HAWKS

THE TABS

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is to Russell Wilson what Dan Reeves was to John Elway. He handcuffs him with ineffective planning and outdated philosophies until we get so far behind that he has no choice but to trash the game plan and let him do whatever he has to do to save us.

Pete waited too long to turn Russell loose, just like last year in Dallas. If we had an innovative play caller like Shanahan, McVay, or Reid, there would be no debate whatsoever on who the best quarterback in the league is.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
THE TABS":220u0ywb said:
Pete Carroll is to Russell Wilson what Dan Reeves was to John Elway. He handcuffs him with ineffective planning and outdated philosophies until we get so far behind that he has no choice but to trash the game plan and let him do whatever he has to do to save us.

Pete waited too long to turn Russell loose, just like last year in Dallas. If we had an innovative play caller like Shanahan, McVay, or Reid, there would be no debate whatsoever on who the best quarterback in the league is.

Football games aren’t played in a vacuum.

Maybe Russ was able to turn loose much easier because he was down 18.

You can’t just enter a playoff game saying we aren’t even going to try and run.

Cmon guys

cymatica

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2hqlx3dw said:
THE TABS":2hqlx3dw said:

You can’t just enter a playoff game saying we aren’t even going to try and run.

Cmon guys

No one says don't try and run. Cmon. The runs are uncreative and the tempo is too slow. The run up the middle stuff might work with a fast tempo and quick passing game, but we never see that until the end of half or down 2+ scores. Or we do see it for a drive, with success, then it vanishes until the 4th quarter.

John63

Reaction score
Hawkpower":39cgl0zr said:
THE TABS":39cgl0zr said:

You can’t just enter a playoff gatme saying we aren’t even going to try and run.

Cmon guys

No one said not try to run, the tried to run after they turned Wilson loose. What were saying is instead of waiting to qtr 3 or 4 to let him loose, do it at the start. Go uptempo from the beginning.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Donn2390":201wczmf said:
GO HAWKS
Here, I'll use an analogy you can hopefully understand. Some of us can't stand watching our favorite Nascar driver only push his car to 60% of its true speed limit for the first 250 laps at the Daytona 500.

That is exactly how Pete Carroll operates the Seahawks offense.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2iw6uj83 said:
joeseahawks":2iw6uj83 said:

Those guys won when they had strong defenses (in the Colts' case, a defense that was okay during the regular season but came on really strong in the playoffs that year). As good as Tom Brady is, you can trace their Super Bowl wins back to when they had really good to great defenses. That could have been the case this year but their offensive issues really drug them down. Brady can't make up for that stuff anymore.

I don't understand how people think Wilson had a reasonable probability of carrying this team through a Super Bowl win; that would have been magical. Not only did the run game die a few weeks ago due to injuries, but this defense gave up nearly 25 points a game this year. All the teams that are left gave up around 20. It would have taken a series of miracles for this team to win a Super Bowl, even with excessive Wilson heroics. The pass rush is bad and even with Diggs in the secondary has serious issues (particularly that LCB spot).

The Chiefs might get it this year because they actually have a pass rush and can play enough defense. Instead of giving up over 26 points a game last year they gave up a little over 19. If the Seahawks gave up less than 19 they would be having an even better year. But even with Wilson chucking it around like a maniac they're going to get bounced from the playoffs because they can't stop the other team; it's not a solution to the defensive issue. Maybe they get super lucky and it works, but that's really low probability game.

Offense really hasn't been this team's major issue the last two seasons. There's things that could definitely be better. But that seems to be where most people's focus is.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkpower":37r9y7bk said:

This is part of it for sure, but the wrinkle is the Seahawks get way too close to coming back (and do come back) way too often for it just to be that.

The difference I think, is that whenever the Seahawks go down Wilson starts playing out of structure, and that's where he really shines.

He is, I think it's safe to say at this point, the best out of structure QB in the history of the NFL, and whoever is in second place really isn't anywhere close to him (it's probably still Rodgers, IMO).

In structure Wilson is still a good QB -- say Kirk Cousins (a good QB in structure but doesn't really do much out of structure -- but it's being a good QB in structure plus being the best QB out of structure in the history of the game (and him going out of structure a lot) that makes him one of the top few QBs in the NFL.

The challenge with that is that I'm not really sure what you do with that as an offensive coordinator. I get the impetus to "Free Wilson" (I really do), but I'm not really sure how you design an offense around a guy who excels at playing out of structure (the whole point is that it's outside of a design framework).

I'm not making excuses for anybody (I rolled my eyes at the Schotty hire the day it was made), but it is kind of a conundrum, and does explain leaning on the run game more than any other team with an excellent QB, I guess.

Ozzy

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1vi2rzb1 said:
Mad Dog":1vi2rzb1 said:
joeseahawks":1vi2rzb1 said:

Post of the year.

This was post of the year? Because those coaches ran a system just like Pete that seems to imply he has Blake Bortles and not possibly the best player in the league? Those coaches ran systems around their all time great QB's. Pete runs a system that limits his all time great player instead of him being the focal point. I'm honestly baffled that this was considered post of the year when the examples if anything actually prove the opposite. Yesterday was more of the same. Play the first half like Geno Smith is filling in and then letting Russ explode in the second half out of desperation only to fall short because you dug yourself too big of a hole. I love Pete and love a lot of what he does. People defending the obvious blind spots because we win a lot of games(as every team does with an all time great QB) is absolutely baffling to me.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Playoff football is drastically different than regular season where you can play the percentages. You have to get outside your comfort zone in the playoffs because it’s all over if you lose. This was already one of Pete’s weaknesses and well Shotty inherited it genetically!

blaisio

Reaction score
I can't believe Pete got all the RBs hurt, the TEs hurt, the entire left side of the OL and handcuffs Russ and doesn't let him improvise.

Last I checked, Wilson has set records for most wins in his first 8 seasons, we tied a NFL record with most road wins. Been to the playoffs in 8 of last 10 seasons. Russ has continued to improve and be successful under Pete every year. I'm not really sure how he's ruining his career. Seems like the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts