Any chance to trade Britt to Dallas?

Hendo66

Reaction score
Frederick retired. Finney signed. Gotta be worth a pick if they can rework his contract.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Interesting idea. The talk all along is that Britt would most likely be released to free up cap space. Another possibility I’ve heard is that they could rework his contract. With all of the FA additions to the o-line, trading him might just be the plan they are working on. On the surface it looks very prudent to be filling any potential holes by getting bodies that can compete for jobs. Out of curiosity anyone know if Jacksonville is in need of a center? Maybe a Britt trade for Ngakuoe?!

Largent80

Reaction score
It would be good because they are probably targeting Ruiz in the draft and my hope is the Hawks take him, but of course they won't.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Pocic, Hunt, and Finney all have time playing Center so we have hedged our bets a little. PC & John have traded a starting Center in the past

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Wenhawk":1gf2vwev said:
Pocic, Hunt, and Finney all have time playing Center so we have hedged our bets a little. PC & John have traded a starting Center in the past

You right Wen, but none of those guys are near the level of Britt. We got all-pro TE Graham and the Saints got our all-world C. That's also when the Saints suddenly took off into the higher tier of NFC. People seem to really undervalue the center position in terms of it's importance to an offense.
I hope oldhawk has it going on with restructure etc. to keep Britt for at least one more year. At the same time I hope Largent is right that we draft Ruiz or one of the other great centers in the pool this year. It just doesn't happen that often and we need to take advantage of the opportunity.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well who do they have at DE we want that's young and on his first contract, they have a good D line.

kf3339

Reaction score
I think the trade option is a good idea. It would be fun to know how JS and PC think of that option!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Britt has a very hefty contract (counts $11.4 million against our cap this season). I'm not sure a team would want to take it on, considering he is coming off a major injury and is in the last year of his deal. He makes way too much related to his performance.

It's keep or release for Britt. Nobody is going to trade for him now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kf3339":2food3e8 said:
I think the trade option is a good idea. It would be fun to know how JS and PC think of that option!

I can't imagine there's much trade value for a guy coming off an ACL tear and has a 11.5M cap hit this year in the final year of his deal.

Britt's gonna get cut after we sign Clowney or Griffen, book it.

sutz

Reaction score
I still think we should hang onto him. A salary re-structure might be useful, but with the pandemic kind of destroying much of our off season, having a veteran center to work with all the new guys would be important.

All depending on his rehab of course.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":10vvw336 said:
I still think we should hang onto him. A salary re-structure might be useful, but with the pandemic kind of destroying much of our off season, having a veteran center to work with all the new guys would be important.

I'd agree with you if we didn't need Britt's cap money to finish rounding out the roster with more free agents and draft picks.

Even a restructure only reduces Britt's hit by 3-4M at most.

Love the guy, love how tough he plays. But every year there's a couple cap casualties, and IMO this year Britt's 11.5M savings is #1 with a bullet for biggest cap savings...........and unfortunately his ACL tear makes it even easier.

Vaclav44

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2jvgx75o said:
sutz":2jvgx75o said:

I'd agree with you if we didn't need Britt's cap money to finish rounding out the roster with more free agents and draft picks.

Love the guy, love how tough he plays. But every year there's a couple cap casualties, and IMO this year Britt's 11.5M savings is #1 with a bullet for biggest cap savings...........and unfortunately his ACL tear makes it even easier.

Is there any dead money if we outright release him, or do we get the full savings of the $11.5M?

I've always been a fan of Britt, but if it's him or Clowney, I'm taking JC all day every day.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Vaclav44":pawsm58h said:
Sgt. Largent":pawsm58h said:
sutz":pawsm58h said:

Is there any dead money if we outright release him, or do we get the full savings of the $11.5M?

I've always been a fan of Britt, but if it's him or Clowney, I'm taking JC all day every day.

Yes, there is dead money because of acceleration. But, it's not a lot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Vaclav44":uvpdduzd said:
Sgt. Largent":uvpdduzd said:
sutz":uvpdduzd said:

Britt's dead cap hit this year is 2.9M, so net cap savings after being cut is around 8-8.5M.

So you could probably talk Britt into a restructure to take the 11-12M over two years vs being cut and probably making even less than that elsewhere. But again, that's only saving us 2-3M of cap.

Is that worth passing up on maybe another good free agent where the full 8M would come in handy? Or having more wiggle room after the season starts to get players because of injury or need?

I just think this is a no brainer. Between Finney, Pocic, Hunt and the probably drafting of another center..........it makes Britt's cap hit savings just too attractive.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm fine with a center in the draft if they are the best player available, but I don't think we need to reach for one.

Pocic was considered the 2nd best center of the 2017 draft class while Finney was considered the 3rd best center of the 2015 class. Both have been moved around as backup guards because they were behind established centers. I wouldn't mind seeing what both can still do at center during training camp.

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ax16fg4 said:
Vaclav44":1ax16fg4 said:
Sgt. Largent":1ax16fg4 said:
sutz":1ax16fg4 said:

Britt's dead cap hit this year is 2.9M, so net cap savings after being cut is around 8-8.5M.

So you could probably talk Britt into a restructure to take the 11-12M over two years vs being cut and probably making even less than that elsewhere. But again, that's only saving us 2-3M of cap.

Is that worth passing up on maybe another good free agent where the full 8M would come in handy? Or having more wiggle room after the season starts to get players because of injury or need?

I just think this is a no brainer. Between Finney, Pocic, Hunt and the probably drafting of another center..........it makes Britt's cap hit savings just too attractive.
Words of wisdom and reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richp01

Reaction score
Question.... I read above that if they were to release Britt the dead money would be 2.9mil. But I was curious if they would also have to come to an injury settlement. Does anyone know how that works?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
richp01":35k8hv8w said:
Question.... I read above that if they were to release Britt the dead money would be 2.9mil. But I was curious if they would also have to come to an injury settlement. Does anyone know how that works?

Injury settlements are tricky, especially in the off season, and especially THIS off season when multiple doctors need to agree on how much longer Britt would be expected to miss time in order to determine the pro-rated salary amount.

And I believe injury settlements still count against the cap, or at least partially.

Either way, I highly doubt it'd be the way to go over just cutting Britt.

richp01

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":46xguwh8 said:
richp01":46xguwh8 said:

Injury settlements are tricky, especially in the off season, and especially THIS off season when multiple doctors need to agree on how much longer Britt would be expected to miss time in order to determine the pro-rated salary amount.

And I believe injury settlements still count against the cap, or at least partially.

Either way, I highly doubt it'd be the way to go over just cutting Britt.

Thanks Sgt. Largent. I did not quite understand the last statement. Are you saying you doubt it would be so high that it would be a deterrent to cutting him?