Any chance to trade Britt to Dallas?

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting that the Cowboys are looking at $11,040,000 remaining on Travis Frederick pro rated signing bonus to write off.

Today's cap room for the Seattle Seahawks, as reported by the NFLPA, is $21,929,021 with 59 contracts on file.

There really isn't a pressing need for Seattle to create cap room at the moment.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
A fair contract for Clowney would put a severe dent in that number. Is the rookie class $ figured into that cap number?
I notice several potential landing spots for Britt have been filled over the past 2-3 days. Maybe his price goes down and our cap goes up a tad? In addition, I haven't heard anything about several other player contracts, such as Dickson, etc. Seems like we could create some extra cap room if we really wanted to.

Jville

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2gjpg9tc said:
A fair contract for Clowney would put a severe dent in that number. Is the rookie class $ figured into that cap number?
I notice several potential landing spots for Britt have been filled over the past 2-3 days. Maybe his price goes down and our cap goes up a tad? In addition, I haven't heard anything about several other player contracts, such as Dickson, etc. Seems like we could create some extra cap room if we really wanted to.

The NFLPA cap space numbers are updated as needed to account for actual contracts recorded for 2020. Numbers from other sources often attempt to estimate projected rookie class contracts among other things. But it is the actual filed contracts that matter from day to day. There is no urgency, at the moment, to create more cap room.

P.S. I'll delete your duplicate post.

getnasty

Reaction score
Absolutely zero trade value without taking on a lot of money. Britt either restructures or he's gone in my opinion.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I actually think Hunt might be a more moveable piece. Smart, technically sound, cheap.

He’s not ever going to be an all pro center, but I think he’s the type of guy that can give you a serviceable season while you look for an upgrade. He’s not bad, just limited due to size.

Britt is expensive, coming off injury and everyone knows he’s likely cut the minute Clowney signs.

Jville

Reaction score
Yxes1122":1sokwo0p said:
I actually think Hunt might be a more moveable piece. Smart, technically sound, cheap.

He’s not ever going to be an all pro center, but I think he’s the type of guy that can give you a serviceable season while you look for an upgrade. He’s not bad, just limited due to size.

Britt is expensive, coming off injury and everyone knows he’s likely cut the minute Clowney signs.

Excellent point,

Joey Hunt is at an interesting juncture in his career. He hasn't signed his RFA tender so there is no contract to trade. Joey has until April 16th to sign his offer sheet. So he has until then to consider what is best for him.

As I watched him play in 2019, I began to speculate that he might thrive more in a West Coast Offense. It will be instructive to see how his fortune plays out in 2020. I know the Seahawks culture wants the best for him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
richp01":2qeymizw said:
Sgt. Largent":2qeymizw said:
richp01":2qeymizw said:
Question.... I read above that if they were to release Britt the dead money would be 2.9mil. But I was curious if they would also have to come to an injury settlement. Does anyone know how that works?

Injury settlements are tricky, especially in the off season, and especially THIS off season when multiple doctors need to agree on how much longer Britt would be expected to miss time in order to determine the pro-rated salary amount.

And I believe injury settlements still count against the cap, or at least partially.

Either way, I highly doubt it'd be the way to go over just cutting Britt.

Thanks Sgt. Largent. I did not quite understand the last statement. Are you saying you doubt it would be so high that it would be a deterrent to cutting him?

I mean I doubt we'd save any money negotiating an injury settlement vs just cutting Britt.

Even a fully healthy Britt owed almost 12M in the last year of his deal isn't very attractive to most teams.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":u5ij0rnf said:
richp01":u5ij0rnf said:
Sgt. Largent":u5ij0rnf said:
richp01":u5ij0rnf said:
Question.... I read above that if they were to release Britt the dead money would be 2.9mil. But I was curious if they would also have to come to an injury settlement. Does anyone know how that works?

Injury settlements are tricky, especially in the off season, and especially THIS off season when multiple doctors need to agree on how much longer Britt would be expected to miss time in order to determine the pro-rated salary amount.

And I believe injury settlements still count against the cap, or at least partially.

Thanks Sgt. Largent. I did not quite understand the last statement. Are you saying you doubt it would be so high that it would be a deterrent to cutting him?

I mean I doubt we'd save any money negotiating an injury settlement vs just cutting Britt.

Even a fully healthy Britt owed almost 12M in the last year of his deal isn't very attractive to most teams.
But they can't cut him until he's healthy. That would require the injury settlement. Not sure how the new CBA affects that, but it doesn't seem like something the union would give up. It's a bit of a catch-22 any way you look at it, which is why I could see a new contract and a re-structure to ease the cap problem. He has been a good center, and the team could likely keep him and save a few mill if they do that.

Assuming he gets healthy, of course.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":8ugz08bm said:
Sgt. Largent":8ugz08bm said:
richp01":8ugz08bm said:
Sgt. Largent":8ugz08bm said:

But they can't cut him until he's healthy. That would require the injury settlement. Not sure how the new CBA affects that, but it doesn't seem like something the union would give up. It's a bit of a catch-22 any way you look at it, which is why I could see a new contract and a re-structure to ease the cap problem. He has been a good center, and the team could likely keep him and save a few mill if they do that.

Assuming he gets healthy, of course.

For sure, and it's all going to hinge on the remaining free agents and/or trades that go down between now and the end of free agency and the draft.

That's usually when most players get cut, right before free agency so they have the best chance of getting signed..........or right after free agency when the team needs to cut players to get their cap situation right.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hunt broke his leg and played through it, Britt had injuries as do other players we have, I find it interesting the players that have been signed away are those that got through the season. I think that not being able to assess them is a large part of the issue with who is left unless your marquee and can be had reasonably such as Ifedi.

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":29ynhsxn said:
Hunt broke his leg and played through it, Britt had injuries as do other players we have, I find it interesting the players that have been signed away are those that got through the season. I think that not being able to assess them is a large part of the issue with who is left unless your marquee and can be had reasonably such as Ifedi.
There's a lot to that, I'm sure. With the limited travel availability, teams aren't gonna sign blank checks for guys who haven't been given a medical evaluation. We've seen before, teams have differing criteria for physicals. It seems weird, but sometimes a guy will get a clean bill of health by one team, and then get shot down by another. You wouldn't think so, but it happens. And it affects everything, trades, FA signings, etc.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1yqq5k2k said:
Wenhawk":1yqq5k2k said:
Pocic, Hunt, and Finney all have time playing Center so we have hedged our bets a little. PC & John have traded a starting Center in the past

You right Wen, but none of those guys are near the level of Britt. We got all-pro TE Graham and the Saints got our all-world C. That's also when the Saints suddenly took off into the higher tier of NFC. People seem to really undervalue the center position in terms of it's importance to an offense.
I hope oldhawk has it going on with restructure etc. to keep Britt for at least one more year. At the same time I hope Largent is right that we draft Ruiz or one of the other great centers in the pool this year. It just doesn't happen that often and we need to take advantage of the opportunity.

I think you got your timelines mixed up...the Saints "suddenly took off into the upper tier of the NFC" after trading for Unger? First of all they were already constant contenders for years before that trade, and 2nd, they went 7-9 Ungers first 2 seasons there before going 11-5 and 13-3 his last 2. Not exactly "suddenly," and those winning seasons also happened to coincide with the drafting of Kamara and Thomas....

I'm not advocating for trading Britt, just saying Unger wasn't the driving force to the Saints being good.

sutz

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3h59ptvp said:
Appyhawk":3h59ptvp said:
Wenhawk":3h59ptvp said:
Pocic, Hunt, and Finney all have time playing Center so we have hedged our bets a little. PC & John have traded a starting Center in the past

You right Wen, but none of those guys are near the level of Britt. We got all-pro TE Graham and the Saints got our all-world C. That's also when the Saints suddenly took off into the higher tier of NFC. People seem to really undervalue the center position in terms of it's importance to an offense.
I hope oldhawk has it going on with restructure etc. to keep Britt for at least one more year. At the same time I hope Largent is right that we draft Ruiz or one of the other great centers in the pool this year. It just doesn't happen that often and we need to take advantage of the opportunity.

I think you got your timelines mixed up...the Saints "suddenly took off into the upper tier of the NFC" after trading for Unger? First of all they were already constant contenders for years before that trade, and 2nd, they went 7-9 Ungers first 2 seasons there before going 11-5 and 13-3 his last 2. Not exactly "suddenly," and those winning seasons also happened to coincide with the drafting of Kamara and Thomas....

I'm not advocating for trading Britt, just saying Unger wasn't the driving force to the Saints being good.
But one could argue that trading Unger did not help our offensive line situation. In fact, I'd say it got worse.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
sutz":37j1eiet said:
XxXdragonXxX":37j1eiet said:
Appyhawk":37j1eiet said:
Wenhawk":37j1eiet said:

But one could argue that trading Unger did not help our offensive line situation. In fact, I'd say it got worse.

Yes definitely, again I'm only disputing Ungers role in the Saints success

Latest posts