Geno Smith Back

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Maybe the Cam to Seattle talk crystallized Geno's contract discussions?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3odyt3ns said:
I've been pulling to get Geno back, but I fear this could close the Clowney door.

I fail to see how resigning the backup QB has any affect on resigning a Starting DE. Unless, they are planning to move Geno to DE.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Contract details yet? My guess is pretty low with no guaranteed money. The presence of any guaranteed money likely spells doom for the WSU QB.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
12AngryHawks":1h5rpohj said:
Appyhawk":1h5rpohj said:
I've been pulling to get Geno back, but I fear this could close the Clowney door.

How so?

Another reduction to our available cap, which was already below negotiation projections for a Clowney signing. And now, to boot, we are back to hoping for a miracle from late round draft pick or UDFAs for improving our secondary, or another expensive trade. Not a good day for Clowney fans.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Whether Geno or some other vet, the Hawks would have had to sign a backup QB anyway. I don’t think this plays much into the Clowney situation.

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2p7n22t0 said:
But...but wait.....the internet experts told us the Hawks were interested in Cam. Nope, never were imo.
How does this prove they weren’t interested? They might have seen several palatable options and decided the low-cost alternative made more sense. Or maybe they inquired and Cam decided he’d rather hold out for a situation where he’s more likely to see the field.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Rat":1dy89i62 said:
SoulfishHawk":1dy89i62 said:
But...but wait.....the internet experts told us the Hawks were interested in Cam. Nope, never were imo.
How does this prove they weren’t interested? They might have seen several palatable options and decided the low-cost alternative made more sense. Or maybe they inquired and Cam decided he’d rather hold out for a situation where he’s more likely to see the field.
I think I can help with your question:
The Hawks already know everything there is to know about every available player without having to meet with, hold internal discussions about, work-out, or otherwise evaluate the player. Therefore, the Hawks only ever show interest in a player if they have already decided to extend a contract offer to that player.

The Hawks do not concern themselves which such trivial matters as a player's fit against the current roster, the cost-benefit trade-off, or salary cap implications of a particular signing. Therefore, the Hawks extend a contract offer to every player they are interested in.

The offer the Hawks extend is always the best offer the player receives; the offer may not be the highest contract value, but every player wants to play for Seattle which makes any offer from the Hawks the best offer; unless, of course, the player is a doody head in which case we didn't want him anyway (see Clowney thread for examples). Therefore, every player who does not have dung for brains accepts the Hawks contract offer.

European simpletons burned witches. And what do we burn apart from witches? Many indigenous peoples burned dung as a fuel source. Witches must burn because they are made of dung. Newtons are made of fig and pastry. Therefore, Cam Newton is obviously not a witch and would accept any contract offer from the Hawks.

Thus, we can logically conclude that Clowney is a witch and we were never interested in Newton.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Fig Newtons? Haven't had one of them in forever.

I think signing Geno was something that needed to wait until the team knew what was going to happen with Reed and Clowney, the team is moving ahead and Clowney will be dealt with by the team only if he wants to re-sign here.

I doubt as well that re-signing Geno says anything about UDFA QB- Gordon and whether he'll make the team it's just a security blanket to fill out the roster.

xray

Reaction score
if Wilson stays healthy Geno's uniforms will look new all season. :D

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":1td3zaw1 said:
...European simpletons burned witches. And what do we burn apart from witches? Many indigenous peoples burned dung as a fuel source. Witches must burn because they are made of dung. Newtons are made of fig and pastry. Therefore, Cam Newton is obviously not a witch and would accept any contract offer from the Hawks.

Thus, we can logically conclude that Clowney is a witch and we were never interested in Newton.

"More Witches!!!" Love the Python reference here. Thanks, Sun Tzu.

We know so little about what is talked about behind closed doors, but the FO usually has the pulse of the market pretty well nailed. But we also know how much we give/spend for a position/player. That sets limits, too.