NFL stalling on Browner to keep him out of playoffs/SB?

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
When the info came out that Browner had a legitimate grounds for appeal, both on the issue of him being in Canada, and then the test-handling stuff, I think it became apparent that a year-long suspension would be off the table. So it begs to question why the league is taking so long to make a decision when all of this came to light 3-4 weeks ago and this "violation" has been ongoing for several months.

The only thing that makes sense is that they are using his injury situation to get maximum playing time missed. He's not on the IR, so he could very well be serving his suspension right now despite being held out, but then the only punishment would be his lost paychecks which he's going to lose in any case of being suspended. It would seem the devious stalling here would lead me to believe that a decision will come down after the game this weekend to suspend him for 4 games, taking him out for the rest of the year.

If that's the case, is there any further appeal that could take place?

I also wonder if it's a stretch to think that they are holding Browner out until a decision comes down, because of the chance he will miss the playoffs; so the need to get Lane and Maxwell all the reps they can handle would be paramount here.

Thoughts?

Laloosh

Reaction score
I think doing so would only serve to help his legal argument that would immediately follow.

My guess is that they wait until after the Super Bowl and try to keep whatever happens out of the press. If they do it leading up to a SB run, how ridiculous does that make them look? He's obviously got a case or they wouldn't be stalling. They don't do this unless they're sort of screwed IMO.

Polaris

Reaction score
Maybe but I don't see it. I think the NFL is desperately trying to avoid a class action lawsuit that will make the NFL and some NFL employees look really, really bad (like Mr Silver), but they DON'T want to appear "weak" publically.

This is why these things are supposed to be completely confidential until the entire process including appeals is finished.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Pete just made (imho) a small reference to this in his press conf. Said it has taken a long time and they are disappointed in it. Didn't come right out and say he thinks that, but I get the feeling they are thinking it.

Largent80

Reaction score
I spent more than an hour sharing beers and chatting with BB's uncle at the Backstage last Sunday. The word from him was that this is going to be dropped, more than likely depending on BB dropping his suit for defamation.

Polaris

Reaction score
pmedic920":1nw55231 said:
Pete just made (imho) a small reference to this in his press conf. Said it has taken a long time and they are disappointed in it. Didn't come right out and say he thinks that, but I get the feeling they are thinking it.

I think the NFL keeps postponing until after the Superbowl in order to limit possible damages that can be claimed by Browner. I think the NFL wants to deal but wants to do it privately so not to appear weak. They can live with Pete's "dissapointment".

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Largent80":xsq6pi0i said:
I spent more than an hour sharing beers and chatting with BB's uncle at the Backstage last Sunday. The word from him was that this is going to be dropped, more than likely depending on BB dropping his suit for defamation.

Good to hear!

Basis4day

Reaction score
It's taking time because these things take time and there is no obligation under the CBA to immediately reach a conclusion for substance abuse violations as opposed to PEDS. He already has been suspended. His suspension is delayed pending the outcome of his appeal. The appeal was Browner's choice.

Remember, these matters are supposed to remain confidential. While i understand the frustration in time awaiting the appeal, do not forget the rush to judgement based on the initial report that it was for PEDS. It is better that these things take time and reach the proper and accurate resolution.

Even if he loses his appeal, he has a damn good employment civil action in his pocket.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Largent80":3136bq0b said:

Do you think BB will drop his? I think he can win BOTH sides of this. But the timing of it all my hurt, IMO

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
According to Clayton on ESPN710 radio, the NFL offered a 9-month suspension instead of a full year, which BB and his lawyer quickly rejected.

Clayton believes that unless the NFL offers the following... loss of 4 weeks pay, no games suspended... that BB and his lawyer will reject any more stringent punishment and will then sue the NFL.

And he also believes the NFL's decision won't come until late December... meaning sometime after Christmas.

He didn't speculate why it is taking so long.

Largent80

Reaction score
pmedic920":3vogguex said:
Largent80":3vogguex said:

Do you think BB will drop his? I think he can win BOTH sides of this. But the timing of it all my hurt, IMO

According to his uncle, he will drop it if they drop theirs. He would still have 2 strikes. Hopefully BB doesn't hang out with his uncle because.... :pimp:

pmedic920

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2tzxqnc3 said:
I really doubt there is some vast conspiracy.

Dose not need to be a vast conspiracy. It's not uncommon for one side or the other to use the other sides desires as leverage. ie. BB's desire to get back on the field. NFL says you want back to the field, we want this or that. No conspiracy just negotiations.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At this stage is Browner actually suspended? A suspension has been ordered but it's length and validity are under appeal.

I thought suspensions are stayed pending resolution of any appeal allowed by the league rules and the suspension decision is still pending.

Browner has been practicing a bit with the team which wouldn't occur if he was actually suspended. I'm unsure I'm right about this but that is how it would normally occur.

kidhawk

Reaction score
CrimsonWazzu":1c3cc1qm said:
When the info came out that Browner had a legitimate grounds for appeal, both on the issue of him being in Canada, and then the test-handling stuff, I think it became apparent that a year-long suspension would be off the table. So it begs to question why the league is taking so long to make a decision when all of this came to light 3-4 weeks ago and this "violation" has been ongoing for several months.

The only thing that makes sense is that they are using his injury situation to get maximum playing time missed. He's not on the IR, so he could very well be serving his suspension right now despite being held out, but then the only punishment would be his lost paychecks which he's going to lose in any case of being suspended. It would seem the devious stalling here would lead me to believe that a decision will come down after the game this weekend to suspend him for 4 games, taking him out for the rest of the year.

I also wonder if it's a stretch to think that they are holding Browner out until a decision comes down, because of the chance he will miss the playoffs; so the need to get Lane and Maxwell all the reps they can handle would be paramount here.

Thoughts?

I don't think they are holding out Browner. Players can play while appealing a suspension. He is still on the roster and as such, the team can play them if they so choose. If it came down that the league was telling the team to hold him out while he was healthy, it would just add fuel the the already high possibility that this thing goes to court.

Honestly, I think right now the NFL is at a crossroads. They can't just say no suspension after their own network screwed the pooch on the story and word got out about a year long suspension, and Browner is sitting there with a lawsuit in his pocket if they don't take away the suspension entirely. I think the NFL wants a 4 game suspension to save face but Browner's camp isn't budging.

Polaris

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, there is no actual suspension until after the appeals process exhausted and fully resolved. Unless and until there is a ruling on the suspension, Browner is not suspended. It was why that Sherman was able to fully participate last year with a four game suspension hanging over him because it was under appeal (which of course Sherman won)

-The Glove-

Reaction score
jammerhawk":23nhqhej said:
At this stage is Browner actually suspended? A suspension has been ordered but it's length and validity are under appeal.

I thought suspensions are stayed pending resolution of any appeal allowed by the league rules and the suspension decision is still pending.

Browner has been practicing a bit with the team which wouldn't occur if he was actually suspended. I'm unsure I'm right about this but that is how it would normally occur.
kidhawk":23nhqhej said:
CrimsonWazzu":23nhqhej said:

Thoughts?

I don't think they are holding out Browner. Players can play while appealing a suspension. He is still on the roster and as such, the team can play them if they so choose. If it came down that the league was telling the team to hold him out while he was healthy, it would just add fuel the the already high possibility that this thing goes to court.

Honestly, I think right now the NFL is at a crossroads. They can't just say no suspension after their own network screwed the pooch on the story and word got out about a year long suspension, and Browner is sitting there with a lawsuit in his pocket if they don't take away the suspension entirely. I think the NFL wants a 4 game suspension to save face but Browner's camp isn't budging.

Both of these...Browner can play Sunday if he was healthy. There's no conspiracy to keep him out of the playoffs unless they come out next week and announce a 4 game suspension.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Polaris":4y83nbeg said:
To the best of my knowledge, there is no actual suspension until after the appeals process exhausted and fully resolved. Unless and until there is a ruling on the suspension, Browner is not suspended. It was why that Sherman was able to fully participate last year with a four game suspension hanging over him because it was under appeal (which of course Sherman won)

It's semantics. Browner has been suspended. His suspension and the consequences therein (Loss of game checks, not being allowed at the VMAC or play in games or be on the sidelines etc.) are not in effect until his appeal is completed. Browner is eligible to play in games if healthy. However, none of the games he has missed are included in the tally for any potential suspension.

It's identical to Sherman's situation last year while on appeal.

Basis4day

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":bxb7447h said:
Hawknballs":bxb7447h said:
I really doubt there is some vast conspiracy.

Yeah probably, but when it seems like everything the NFL does has conspiratorial undertones...

Or that some fans see conspiratorial undertones in everything the NFL does.