Great assessment by Hawkblogger

ivotuk

Reaction score
Marshawn with MikeRob is averaging a lot more yards than in any other run set, yet the team is lowering MikeRob's playing time over the last 3-4 games....

"Michael Robinson was signed after that game. He played sparingly in that Rams game, but then started to play significant snaps over the next four games, which happened to coincide with Lynch's two highest rushing totals of the season. He has had three 100-yard rushing performances in 2013, and two of them came in the three weeks following adding Robinson back to the mix."

"Watching Lynch on tape these last few games shows a guy who is searching for a hole that is not there. He is moving laterally far more at the line of scrimmage than last season when he would commit to a hole and run through it. Part of the reason for that is there is a guy waiting for him in the assigned lane nearly every time. Robinson does an excellent job, far better than Coleman or Miller or Willson, as a lead blocker. It was no accident that Lynch averaged 6.0 yards per carry when following Robinson's lead on Sunday."

http://www.hawkblogger.com/

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I.
Don't.
Get.
It.

Why not use M-Rob a lot? :( He's even great for one 1st-down pass every game out of nowhere.

el capitan

Reaction score
Surely PC, Bevell and Cable must have noticed the drop off when MikeRob's not out there so why would they persist in using formations that aren't working?

Subzero717

Reaction score
Ironically I was reading an article yesterday that went into advanced stats on this subject and there was no evidence/difference statically between Marshawn having a lead blocker or not. I'll try to find it. Given its Hawkblogger?????

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":23cly46f said:
Ironically I was reading an article yesterday that went into advanced stats on this subject and there was no evidence/difference statically between Marshawn having a lead blocker or not. I'll try to find it. Given its Hawkblogger?????
Yeah, I read that same article, but what that article didn't do was differentiate between WHO the lead blocker was. Lynch does great when MRob blocks, not so well when others block. You add it all up and it averages out that he does the same with or without a lead blocker and you're missing some key insights:

Lynch does WORSE with a leader blocker not named Michael Robinson than with no blocker at all. The lead blocker actually hampers him.

Lynch does BEST with MRob leading the way.

Subzero717

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3filgq7b said:
CALIHAWK1":3filgq7b said:
Yeah, I read that same article, but what that article didn't do was differentiate between WHO the lead blocker was. Lynch does great when MRob blocks, not so well when others block. You add it all up and it averages out that he does the same with or without a lead blocker and you're missing some key insights:

Lynch does WORSE with a leader blocker not named Michael Robinson than with no blocker at all. The lead blocker actually hampers him.

Lynch does BEST with MRob leading the way.

Actually it did differentiate the lead blocker and did it well. Its inconclusive to say the least. Its a News Tribune article on my BR so I don't know how to post a link to it.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Maybe they are keeping mRob as out secret weapon for the playoffs.

Or maybe MRob isn't playing through an injury.

Or maybe Bevell isn't calling the right plays.

Or maybe MRob flicked off Bevell off camera and PC and Bevell aren't getting along because of it.

Axx

Reaction score
damn, its the same thing as last year. Even though the O-line did significantly better when Moffit was in the game the coaches still decided to throw in JR in the lineup. This year they are taking the significantly better and forcing him to split reps with coleman. WHY????????

A

Anonymous

When you have the fullback in the formation, that's one more potential tackler targeting the backfield.

In the past we have run plays where they line up in an "I" but will run Marshawn and MRob in different directions, even motioned MRob to draw the defender. Seems like that went out the window with all the read-option stuff now being the staple of our run game.

I can't forget the MRob TD catch in Atlanta last year. That was a sweet play we haven't seen for a while.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think this has more to do with how teams are defending our run game, rather than the personnel we have in the game at the time of the running play.

The blueprint has been set for stopping our offense. Load the box, hammer the gaps with LB's and slow rush the ends to force the run inside. Now it's up to Pete and Daryl to counter that scheme, and not be stubborn and continue to pound it into holes that aren't there.........which creates low percentage 2nd and 3rd and longs.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ve8o1vf said:
I think this has more to do with how teams are defending our run game, rather than the personnel we have in the game at the time of the running play.

The blueprint has been set for stopping our offense. Load the box, hammer the gaps with LB's and slow rush the ends to force the run inside. Now it's up to Pete and Daryl to counter that scheme, and not be stubborn and continue to pound it into holes that aren't there.........which creates low percentage 2nd and 3rd and longs.
Ok, so this defensive strategy works, but it makes the pass defense vulnerable. Why aren't we exploiting that more? I suspect it's that our receivers, capable of big plays they may be, aren't consistently getting separation OR Russell can't see when they do. Either way, if we can't punish a defense for stacking the box against us, we're screwed.

The past several weeks haven't filled me with confidence, that's for sure.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MysterMatt":cq1e02jr said:
Sgt. Largent":cq1e02jr said:

Ok, so this defensive strategy works, but it makes the pass defense vulnerable. Why aren't we exploiting that more? I suspect it's that our receivers, capable of big plays they may be, aren't consistently getting separation OR Russell can't see when they do. Either way, if we can't punish a defense for stacking the box against us, we're screwed.

The past several weeks haven't filled me with confidence, that's for sure.

I totally agree with you, and I think Pete, Daryl and Russell know that when teams play defense this way against us it's up to Russell and our WR's to get the passing game going in order to loosen up the run game.

Last game we unfortunately didn't hit on any of the long passes like we normally do. The Saints tried this defense, and Russell burned them long 3-4 times, so Ryan called off the dogs. Russell was just off last week, so the result was a very frustrating performance by the offense.

The Rams have a terrible pass defense, but so did the Cardinals.

Hawks46

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2bc65yrf said:

Statistically, we run very well when Lynch is in a single set back formation. We usually run 3 WRs and sometimes split the TE out wide as well. This spreads the field and pulls an extra man out of the box.

I honestly think MRob is our best lead blocker, but there's been times when I've seen Willson and Coleman both blow open a hole and Lynch refuses to run through it. I think not having Robinson around the entire year has gotten in Lynch's head a bit. Either that, or he likes MRob so much that he's blowing the run when Rob's not in there to prove a point.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Whatever point he's trying to prove isn't working if your theory is valid. Personally? I just think Lynch needs to remove his head out of his ass and quickly before he finds himself on the bench.

The holes are there but suddenly he seems to prefer east/west rather than north/south.

ceej22

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1wzxgug2 said:
Whatever point he's trying to prove isn't working if your theory is valid. Personally? I just think Lynch needs to remove his head out of his ass and quickly before he finds himself on the bench.

The holes are there but suddenly he seems to prefer east/west rather than north/south.

Nope the holes are not always there.

Ride the bench? For who? I sure don't want Turbine in there full time. And as much as this board so desperately wants to see Michael out there I'll trust the coaching staff knows a little more about his ability than we do. Hey I get it you like to be the first guy to jump of the wagon and say I told you so but I think it's a little premature with Lynch.

dunceface

Reaction score
ceej22":1lx6gm4c said:
KCHawkGirl":1lx6gm4c said:

Nope the holes are not always there.

Ride the bench? For who? I sure don't want Turbine in there full time. And as much as this board so desperately wants to see Michael out there I'll trust the coaching staff knows a little more about his ability than we do. Hey I get it you like to be the first guy to jump of the wagon and say I told you so but I think it's a little premature with Lynch.

this.