COLUMNS
ARCHIVE
VIDEO
SEARCH

Robert Beck/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB
In This Corner
1 hour ago
‘To Those Who Would Call Me a Thug or Worse …’
I show passion on the football field—but that’s only a small part of who I am. If you want to judge me, I can handle it.

By
Richard Sherman
· More from Richard·

What a night, and what a finish.

Near midnight I still had about 70 unread text messages from friends and family, most of which read, “Best interview ever!” Many of my Twitter mentions were less supportive. My body ached. I was thrilled and proud and upset, all at once.

Here’s what happened …

I spent most of the game on an island: I was targeted only twice during the entire NFC Championship. The first produced a BS holding call against me; the second ended the game. Michael Crabtree stutter-stepped out of his break on first down and sprinted toward the end zone. I was in good position for a pick until he pushed me in the back. My interception became a tip and an interception for Malcolm Smith in the end zone.

Game over. The Seahawks are in the Super Bowl.

I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said, “Good game, good game.” That’s when he shoved my face, and that’s when I went off.

I threw a choking sign at 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Why? Because he decided he was going to try the guy he was avoiding all game, because, I don’t know, he’s probably not paying attention for the game-winning play. C’mon, you’re better than that.

“It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am.”
Erin Andrews interviewed me after the game and I yelled what was obvious: If you put a subpar player across from a great one, most of the time you’re going to get one result. As far as Crabtree being a top-20 NFL receiver, you’d have a hard time making that argument to me. There are a lot of receivers playing good ball out there, and Josh Gordon needed 14 games to produce almost double what Crabtree can do in a full season. And Gordon had Brandon Weeden, Brian Hoyer and Jason Campbell playing quarterback.

But that’s not why I don’t like the man. It goes back to something he said to me this offseason in Arizona, but you’d have to ask him about that. A lot of what I said to Andrews was adrenaline talking, and some of that was Crabtree. I just don’t like him.

It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am. I don’t want to be a villain, because I’m not a villainous person. When I say I’m the best cornerback in football, it’s with a caveat: There isn’t a great defensive backfield in the NFL that doesn’t have a great front seven. Everything begins with pressure up front, and that’s what we get from our pass rushers every Sunday. To those who would call me a thug or worse because I show passion on a football field—don’t judge a person’s character by what they do between the lines. Judge a man by what he does off the field, what he does for his community, what he does for his family.

But people find it easy to take shots on Twitter, and to use racial slurs and bullying language far worse than what you’ll see from me. It’s sad and somewhat unbelievable to me that the world is still this way, but it is. I can handle it.

One thing I can’t accept is what I read after the game about Seahawks fans throwing food at 49ers linebacker Navorro Bowman as he was being carted off the field with his knee injury. If it’s true, it’s beyond terrible. That’s as low as it gets. I’m sure whoever did this is in a small minority of fans, because I don’t think that kind of action is an accurate representation of the character of the 12th man. Navorro Bowman is a great player who plays the game the right way. When he went down, I dropped to a knee and prayed for him. He deserves better than having food thrown at him as he’s carted off a field. All players deserve better than that.

So here we are, in the Super Bowl. New York-bound. There will be a lot of talking, but at this point, after 18 games, there’s nothing left to say. We have the right mindset, and nothing can change that. We’ve treated every week like a championship opportunity and we’ll obviously continue to think that way. We deserve to be here. We didn’t sneak into the Super Bowl; we earned our way. Now every goal we set forth at the beginning of the season is in front of us.

The Broncos stand in our way, and it’s a large obstacle. They’ve got the smartest quarterback in football and receivers who are large (mostly), explosive with the football and run great routes. Wes Welker is quick and elusive, Eric Decker is a great receiver with hands and speed, and Demaryius Thomas is as strong as they come. And Peyton knows how to get each of them in spots.

It’s the No. 1 offense vs. the No. 1 defense. It’s a match made in heaven, and we couldn’t be more excited. If you’re any kind of competitor and you have any kind of dog about you, you want to play against the best. Finally, we get the opportunity.

Richard Sherman makes a good columnist, wouldn't you say?

JGreen79

Reaction score
I think it was a great article by Sherman. I'd have to agree with him to about the "fans" throwing food at Bowman. I truly hope those people are found and never allowed into a football stadium again.

kidhawk

Reaction score
No matter how anyone feels about Sherman (Personally I love the guy), you have to admit that he keeps it real. I always love how he calls it like he sees it. Another great write-up by Sherman.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Loved the read. Such a smart guy. Thank you football gods for sending him to our team. Thank you Pete and John for drafting him. Thank you Jim Hardouche for treating him like you did at Stanford so he plays with the chip he plays with.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
For what it's worth...it sounds like fans were tossing Skittles in Bowman's direction. I don't want to sound naive, but from people there (via Twitter), it sounds like it was not meant to be a malicious thing, more of a sign of respect, similar to how they throw Skittles at Marshawn.

If in fact it was actual food, that's just nonsense and shame on them. I'd like to think Seattle fans are better than that, which is why I'm leaning towards the positive side of it.

Bowman, unlike many SF players, is a good dude who has overcome a lot. I wish him well.

Lastly, screw Crabtree and the people making holier than thou comments on Richard's Article. People only hate people who have accomplished something. Pretty simple concept. Nobody hates the Janitor (my apologies, janitors).

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Nice article, but to say he just went to shake Crabtree's hand to say "good game" in an innocent manner is about as transparent as it gets. You don't run after someone you just humiliated for the game winning play because you are being a good sport and want to just shake his hand. You are doing it to gloat and Crabtree's reaction was evident of that.

I don't care that Sherman did that because I am sure they were jawing all game (and before) but to play it off like it was innocent is silly.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":r6v6mv3m said:
For what it's worth...it sounds like fans were tossing Skittles in Bowman's direction. I don't want to sound naive, but from people there (via Twitter), it sounds like it was not meant to be a malicious thing, more of a sign of respect, similar to how they throw Skittles at Marshawn.

If in fact it was actual food, that's just nonsense and shame on them. I'd like to think Seattle fans are better than that, which is why I'm leaning towards the positive side of it.

Bowman, unlike many SF players, is a good dude who has overcome a lot. I wish him well.

Lastly, screw Crabtree and the people making holier than thou comments on Richard's Article. People only hate people who have accomplished something. Pretty simple concept. Nobody hates the Janitor (my apologies, janitors).
I saw the video of the food incident. No skittles, a very small amount of popcorn fell on him. It fell. It didn't look like it was tossed. You couldn't see who did it, but for the amount that came down, for all anyone knows, the fan spilled it on accident.

The Whiners are making a mountain out of a molehill.

TJH

Reaction score
It's the day after the NFC championship and all anyone is talking about is a post game interview. Nobody is talking about the great effort by the team. Thanks Richard...

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
One thing I dont like is Sherman going up to Crabtree right after and trying to shake his hand. 100% a trolling effort. A guy just lost a chance at going to the superbowl and you expect him to just say "good game" and shake your hand 10 seconds later.

A little less trolling but I did like his speech

lsheldon

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":ht6jungw said:
Mtjhoyas":ht6jungw said:

I saw the video of the food incident. No skittles, a very small amount of popcorn fell on him. It fell. It didn't look like it was tossed. You couldn't see who did it, but for the amount that came down, for all anyone knows, the fan spilled it on accident.

^^WORD

I've only seen one video showing some popcorn coming down as Bowman was being driven in on the cart. You couldn't see who spilled it, and it did look like it was spilled as it couldn't be more than a few kernels. Whiners fans using that as an excuse to be irate about the game.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sherman is awesome, people just want to paint a villain without knowing his story or finding out the truth.

And I think Sherman is right, the common people are too stupid to understand him or where he's coming from... all they want to see the label: just another black athlete from the hoods of Compton.

But Richard Sherman has EARNED EVERYTHING to get where he is today.

I'm sure Crabtree got what he deserved

On the Bowman incident: it was merely popcorn and the culprit was likely one fan, who probably got immediately reprimanded by other fans for his/her actions.

It was still classless but 1 guy out of 68400 fans doesn't make an entire fan base. Everybody here has been respectful of Bowman's injury, and I'm certain 99% of the fans in the stadium felt for him.

It definitely wasn't as close to the classlessness of half of a stadium cheering a Hasselbeck injury in SFO back in 2008 and then booing him as he came off the field.

Or throwing batteries on the field ala Eagle fans.

Or beer bottles at refs ala Browns fans.

Classless, but popcorn doesn't inflict bodily harm.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":al1iif51 said:
Mtjhoyas":al1iif51 said:

A little kernal of truth, if you will?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TJH":2kymla37 said:
It's the day after the NFC championship and all anyone is talking about is a post game interview. Nobody is talking about the great effort by the team. Thanks Richard...
Screw the babbling crybabies, if it isn't Sherman that they're diss'n it'd be somebody else on the Seahawks team, as that's what you can expect from loser fans.
Crabtree has been a douche nozzle for the whole damned Year, and it's Sherman that is the bad guy?
Like I said, screw 'em.

TJH

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2l1d2iz1 said:
TJH":2l1d2iz1 said:
Screw the babbling crybabies, if it isn't Sherman that they're diss'n it'd be somebody else on the Seahawks team, as that's what you can expect from loser fans.
Crabtree has been a douche nozzle for the whole damned Year, and it's Sherman that is the bad guy?
Like I said, screw 'em.

I suppose Pete is a "crybaby" too then?

razgriz737

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":sv59tm4b said:

Decide for yourself.

popcorn.gif

Emerald12

Reaction score
razgriz737":2m632ebt said:
Mtjhoyas":2m632ebt said:

Decide for yourself.

popcorn.gif
I still say that was thrown, but the whiners fans who are making a giant deal out of it need to calm down.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Emerald12":10dw0sep said:
I still say that was thrown, but the whiners fans who are making a giant deal out of it need to calm down.
Agreed. It's not like there's anything we can really do about it at this point. Of course it's a crappy thing to do, but when you've got 70,000 people together, many of them drinking, you're bound to get some assholes acting like assholes.