Seahawks sign CFL rookie of the year WR Matthews

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Per Danny Kelly twitter

Should read former - 2012. Previous UDFA of the Browns.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Info:

• 6’5, 218 pounds
  • 24 years old
  • CFL rookie of the year 2012 (81 catches for 1,192 yards and 7 TDs)
  • Injured during 2013 (missed 13 games; 14 passes for 138 yards and one touchdown)

No. 13:

1297286368834_ORIGINAL.jpg

Jville

Reaction score
Nice ...... red line receiver I presume.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chris Matthews? I love his stuff on Hardball, but kinda a wind bag.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
6'5"!? I am assuming he is slow if no NFL team wanted him before. Anyone know if this is accurate?

Hawks always looking for that Mike Williams replacement.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Love this front office. Always searching for that piece wherever it could be found. This also tells me this team will be looking at the numerous tall receiver options in the daft this year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He ran 4.57 40 at his pro-day in 2011, so not exactly a burner (on paper).

Basis4day

Reaction score
[youtube]sbfHpeaVUeA[/youtube]

Not described as a burner. More a big body possession receiver.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1u2no4qy said:
He ran 4.57 40 at his pro-day in 2011, so not exactly a burner (on paper).

Yeah I figured that with size like that, he had to be lacking in speed or catching ability to not get drafted. With the numbers he put up in the CFL, I didn't think his hands were his problem.

Looks like the kind of guy Seattle could use as a depth possession guy, though.

Jville

Reaction score
From original link >>>>
Born in Long Beach, Calif. … Son of Darell and Michelle Matthews … Comes from a highly athletic family … Darell played football at Lane University … Michelle played basketball at Texas Christian University … Chris is a cousin of the late Reggie White, who played his college football at Tennessee and enjoyed a long NFL career with Philadelphia, Green Bay and Carolina … Major is community communications and leadership development.

Matthews’ departure means every CFL rookie of the year between 2007 and 2012 has signed an NFL contract. Four of those six players, including Matthews, are in the NFL currently. The others are Cameron Wake, Weston Dressler and Chris Williams. The two who have returned to the CFL are B.C. linebacker Solomon Elimimian and Calgary running back Martell Mallett.

[urltargetblank]http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/02/16/bombers-chris-matthews-weighing-options-between-two-nfl-teams[/urltargetblank]

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Looks like a Boldin-type; too small for a TE but too large for an burner WR. Hope he can block upfield.

Another low-risk, high reward type.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Steve Largent, Brian Blades, Joe Jurevicius weren't burners either but they produced when called upon. Of course, Largent and Rice weren't 6'5 either. Chris Matthews is the cousin of Reggie White so he has some athletic bloodlines in him. Interesting to see it all shapes out for him. Hopefully he can be offense version of Browner (pre-suspension).

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
As probably one of the few CFL fans on here :), I've watched this guy the last two years. Big body who can get down the field and fights for the ball. He made some amazing catches. Of course he'll be going up against bigger DBs now. Big and strong enough to beat press coverage IMO.
BTW, ignore his numbers from last year in case you are alarmed at how low they are. He was injured for part of the year. Plus the team he played for was a disaster. Imagine a Jacksonville type situation with worse QB play. Former Cardinal Max Hall was one of the guy who got a chance and failed miserably.

CPHawk

Reaction score
6'5 and runs a 4.57? That doesn't seem that bad to me. How many 6'5 guys run in the 4.4?

Latest posts