2nd round tender on Jeron Johnson

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Wow. That's shocking.

And Rapoport is an idiot. Someone's really going to be "interested" in shelling out a 2nd rd pick for a backup safety? Does he watch football?

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Wow, didn't see this one coming. The guy is a really good special teams guy but never assessed him more than a solid backup safety.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm thinking Ian Rapoport got the tender round correct and the player name wrong.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
If you dug out all of his tape with the Seahawks, it would look like a highlight reel. With limited opportunities, all this guy does is make big plays. Shame he was injured this year. On another team he's a starter. I wonder if that tag was set with Gus (JAX) in mind?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Maybe they legit thought someone would offer Jeron like $3M and preferred to keep him for $2M. Not really a crazy thought IMO.

He was a UDFA, so 2nd-round tender is really the only option besides an RFA tender w/o potential draft comp.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Apparently we have high hopes for him. Interesting. Caplan also Tweeted it.

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 4m
Saw 91 total snaps last season. MT @MikeGarafolo: Seahawks gave S Jeron Johnson a second-round tender as a restricted free agent.

Jville

Reaction score
The second-round tender is worth $2.187 million. Special teams captain?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1gigxkc6 said:
I wonder if that tag was set with Gus (JAX) in mind?

True, Gus would definitely throw $2.5-3M at Jeron. Why not?

This makes more sense as a I think about it. Jeron slips into that UDFA gray area -- he's more than just a pure special teamer, so you don't want to rely solely on the original round tender amount to keep him. In that scenario, teams can sign him away as long as they offer more than $1.3M. 2nd round tender is really the only option if you're high on him.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Johnson had a injury riddled season this season, 91 snaps doesn't surprise me seeing as he went in IR pretty damn early in the season.

Jville

Reaction score
It's coming back to me now ............ in addition to excellent special teams work, Jeron Johnson was their preferred dime back.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":mx8evptp said:
If Jeron Johnson got a 2nd round tender then I expect Doug Baldwin to get a first round tender.

I don't think it necessarily works that way. If the guy came in as a UDFA, a 1st/2nd tender is basically your only option if you think the player might be desired elsewhere. So, the fact that Jeron got a 2nd doesn't necessarily push Doug up to a 1st. It just means they like Jeron and don't want another team to take him. That can only be accomplished with a 2nd round tender (since he went undrafted). You can accomplish the same with a 2nd round tender on Doug.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I do think it's possible they give Baldwin a 1st round tender if the idea is to "reward" him ($850K more) without giving him a true extension. But I think they could easily retain him with a 2nd round tender.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2b4c5ohm said:
If you dug out all of his tape with the Seahawks, it would look like a highlight reel. With limited opportunities, all this guy does is make big plays. Shame he was injured this year. On another team he's a starter. I wonder if that tag was set with Gus (JAX) in mind?
JAX was my first thought as well. You must be a genius.

Sac

Reaction score
Scottemojo":7q7rwr6g said:
SomersetHawk":7q7rwr6g said:
JAX was my first thought as well. You must be a genius.

Jax has a juicy second rounder, too. Always liked Jeron, and I'd like to see what he could do as a starter...for another team.