Who would Seahawks have got if not Coach Pete?

Raptor22

Reaction score
Obviously we ended up with a good coach when Pete Carroll came here.

Just out of curiosity, who were some of the other potential candidates for coach when we had to look for one after Mora left?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Mora.

He was still the coach when the job was offered to Pete.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Yeah Frazier was supposedly Option B

So thank god Pete said yes

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It would have been Mora for another dreadful year (cause the team had quit on him) or Frazier. He was the hot coaching candidate at the time and we wanted a Defensive coach.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2ds1lumy said:
It would have been Mora for another dreadful year (cause the team had quit on him) or Frazier. He was the hot coaching candidate at the time and we wanted a Defensive coach.
I'm not sure Frazier was as hot a coaching candidate as his interviews lead people to believe.

Wasn't he the coach who started to refuse interviews because he thought teams were just trying to appease to Rooney rule? Or am I mistaken?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":c76aqqv8 said:
HawkFan72":c76aqqv8 said:
I'm not sure Frazier was as hot a coaching candidate as his interviews lead people to believe.

Wasn't he the coach who started to refuse interviews because he thought teams were just trying to appease to Rooney rule? Or am I mistaken?

The Hawks couldn't hire Carroll until they interviewed a minority candidate. Frazier almost didn;t interview here because he didn't want to be the "token black guy" used so that the Hawks could hire Carroll.

But teams had legit interest in Frazier. There had been talk of Frazier on .NET as some people's desired hire before Carroll's name popped up.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1dswe4tv said:
Hawkfan77":1dswe4tv said:
HawkFan72":1dswe4tv said:

The Hawks couldn't hire Carroll until they interviewed a minority candidate. Frazier almost didn;t interview here because he didn't want to be the "token black guy" used so that the Hawks could hire Carroll.

But teams had legit interest in Frazier. There had been talk of Frazier on .NET as some people's desired hire before Carroll's name popped up.
Ah that's right, thanks.

I also remember a small few who wanted Bill Cowher badly... :pukeface:

drdiags

Reaction score
Probably Mora, but since they were so willing to blow it up, most likely not. Folks were pining over Gruden and Cowher. I remember hearing that the thought was they approached Dungy about coaching as well as running the whole show. Mr. Allen was looking for an impact coach, so who would have fit the bill in 2910 if not Carroll?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The way I remember it, Mora got fired unexpectedly and the announcement of his replacement being Pete came very quickly... like less than a week so there wasn't a lot of time for speculation. I'm going to go check on the dates of Mora's firing and Pete's hiring.

Yep, I was right... Mora was fired on January 8th (2010) and Mort reported that Pete was about to be hired by the Seahawks... on the same day... and Pete was officially hired on January 11th as it took a couple of days to finalize his contract.

There really was no other candidate than Pete.

There may have been a couple of days of speculation but Pete was Paul's choice and they got it done quickly.

Lest we forget the role that Todd Leiweke played in the firing/hiring... from wiki...
Leiweke was the key deciding factor in the firing of former Seattle Seahawks coach Jim Mora Jr. in January 2010,[3] And also was the main benefactor in the hiring of USC coach Pete Carroll.